Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
More than likely you are looking at the body of iPhone 6.

The reason for the similarity is because they are sticking to the external antenna design.

iPhone - 1st gen, expensive.
3G, 3GS - same body
4, 4S - same body
5, ??? - probably same body

To everyone saying it is incremental..don't you realize that every single iPhone hardware upgrade has been "incremental." Revised body, better camera, faster processor, more RAM, better screen, better connectivity, etc.

The only real improvements are software ones that enable new uses of the phone.

Safari on first gen, App Store in iPhone OS 2.0, multitasking, push notifcations - those are the actual features that change the way you use your phone.

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012
Until NFC is widely available for use in practical ways the only reason for it is to brag and say "my phone's got NFC"

Adding things for the sake of adding them isn't really helpful to my experience

If NFC is changing your experience... great, but for the majority of users, they don't even have a clue what it is

"My phone is better than yours, its got NFC"
"What is it?"
"Dunno, but I've got it and you don't... nah, nah, nah, you need to catch up"
"Have you ever used it?"
"No... but who cares, I've got it and you don't"

Silly really
Lets be realistic here. Are there really places where the 4 doesnt fit because it isnt thin enough? Or apps that are unusable on the 4S because its too slow? Or does an improved version of the same camera fix the issues with the lens being too small for quality low light performance? And even LTE, is it really amazing if you've got data caps and it still isn't rolled out in your city?

Most of the features people brag about are considered useful because Apple just told us WHY they are useful. But without a fancy video or an exciting presentation then how essential are these updates?

You dismiss NFC as a throwaway feature because people dont understand it (and therefore its not necessary), but WHEN Apple gives us their emotional white background video about what it can do then people will be pleasantly surprised that its usefulness goes far beyond "swipe to pay". And then it will go from being a "who needs it" feature to a "i cant remember life without this".

Andy Ihnatko talked on his podcast about his usage of NFC on an S3 and it sounds amazing. He had an NFC sticker in his car mount that he programmed to change his Android desktop and apps to "Car Mode" (GPS/Music/Etc) when mounted. He had an NFC sticker on his wall at home so guests could just swipe their phone and get his WiFi access info. There are so many cool little things about NFC that can be done but not until we get it in the iPhone and it will be much more impressive than "thinner than last year".

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I personally would prefer a wider screen. I can just about use my S3 with one hand and that's 4.8". I just struggle to reach the top left hand corner without shifting the phone in my hand. The S2 with 4.3" screen was easily usable with one hand.

Aside from that I'm not sure there's really anything wrong with the iPhone. You either love or hate physical home buttons. They don't really bother me.

An LED notification light would be good.

What I really want to see improve is the software.

An led would drive me crazy. I hate bright, flashy lights. Software upgrade I do agree on, though.

Don't need it bigger. Tiny hands.

Kukulcan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Sorry, LTE is no increment, it is a new different technology.

A speed increase by a factor of two if per definition not an increment.

An incremental change in resolution would be 961x640 pixels even if that is a pretty narrow definition.

Aluminium unibody design might "only" improve stabilty, weight and size "in increments" but a real incremental change would have been more robust and lighter full glass design.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Lets be realistic here. Are there really places where the 4 doesnt fit because it isnt thin enough? Or apps that are unusable on the 4S because its too slow? Or does an improved version of the same camera fix the issues with the lens being too small for quality low light performance? And even LTE, is it really amazing if you've got data caps and it still isn't rolled out in your city?

Most of the features people brag about are considered useful because Apple just told us WHY they are useful. But without a fancy video or an exciting presentation then how essential are these updates?

You dismiss NFC as a throwaway feature because people dont understand it (and therefore its not necessary), but WHEN Apple gives us their emotional white background video about what it can do then people will be pleasantly surprised that its usefulness goes far beyond "swipe to pay". And then it will go from being a "who needs it" feature to a "i cant remember life without this".

Andy Ihnatko talked on his podcast about his usage of NFC on an S3 and it sounds amazing. He had an NFC sticker in his car mount that he programmed to change his Android desktop and apps to "Car Mode" (GPS/Music/Etc) when mounted. He had an NFC sticker on his wall at home so guests could just swipe their phone and get his WiFi access info. There are so many cool little things about NFC that can be done but not until we get it in the iPhone and it will be much more impressive than "thinner than last year".

I didn't dismiss NFC because people didn't understand it
I say it isn't ready for prime time yet because it is not useful enough or widespread enough

I also said "yet"
There may very well come a time when NFC is mainstream and useful enough to the masses that the iPhone has it
And yes, I will welcome it when that time comes

But right now it would be a useless addition for me and most people
Add it when it does become useful to the masses, not the niche

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012
I didn't dismiss NFC because people didn't understand it
I say it isn't ready for prime time yet because it is not useful enough or widespread enough
But it is useful. This isnt like LTE where its existence is dependent on the carrier. The stuff you can program an NFC sticker to do is very easy because its more than just a "swipe to pay" feature so its all about users making uses. Just because Apple doesn't support it yet doesnt mean it isn't useful.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
But it is useful. This isnt like LTE where its existence is dependent on the carrier. The stuff you can program an NFC sticker to do is very easy because its more than just a "swipe to pay" feature so its all about users making uses. Just because Apple doesn't support it yet doesnt mean it isn't useful.

Not mainstream useful
Yes, there are some people who are using it and taking advantage of it
But it is not seen as useful to the guy on the street, Apple's target audience
Until it IS seen as useful, there is no reason for Apple to add it
Apple isn't in the habit of adding costly features that impact design, battery, etc. to fulfill the wishes of the small minority
When NFC becomes a significant force, they will likely add it

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
The next phone will not be the 5s and here is why.

the "s" in the iphone 4s stands for Speed.

And the next iphone will not get a speed upgrade because 4g is going to "LTE"

LTE stands for LONG TERM EVOLUTION.

Long Term...

That means they are going to be using 4g lte for awhile.

So we will NOT get a speed upgrade on the next Iphone.

Hence they will not call it the 5s

The 4s got a speed upgrade over the 4.

It got 4g over 3g

The Iphone 5 is getting a speed upgrade over the 4s

Its called 4g LTE

4g and 4g LTE are not the same, 4g LTE is Faster.

There wont be a 5s because there wont be a new upgrade to 4g LTE

Its LONG TERM EVOLUTION.

There wont be a 5s

I think you are wrong....slap in a quadcore chip and call it 5 s regardless of connectivity speed being the same the phone is still faster:D

J Griz 757

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2010
Incremental upgrade... LOL

Yup, imo it'l be more like iPhone5s. Same front facing camera, a little faster processing, same LTE, maybe a bump in gb options, probably a few more mp camera.

I went with 64gb on the 5 so I wont have to worry about a 5s.

applepink07

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2012
I thought the S in 4S is for Steve Jobs? just kidding :D

So do you think we should wait for iPhone 6?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

Very well said!

An led would drive me crazy. I hate bright, flashy lights. Software upgrade I do agree on, though.

Don't need it bigger. Tiny hands.

The beauty of the addition of new features is that there's usually an accompanying software feature to disable them if you don't like them, so Apple could add an LED light but add an option to disable it if you don't like it. Clearly some find LED notifications useful because you can see if you have a notification without even turning the screen on.

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
I would say the same. But I'm sure at some point my iPhone 4 will crap the bed and I will be forced to either get the 5 or inevitable 5S (maybe they'll change the -S suffix... looks weird w/ 5).

I hope for the 6 they manage to get the phone's height back down to 4/4S size w/ 4" screen. If they had left the camera on the side of the earpiece and didn't move it above, they could've saved a quarter inch at least. I'm sure they couldn't afford to lose 1/4" on the internal volume. Aside from the screen size change, I am content with every other aspect of the phone. Design, colors, iOS 6, LTE, A6, etc. I will say the pictures it takes (on the site) are pretty ridiculous.

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
Ping (the OP), you have a 4s right now, don't you? I assume so, as 4s owners have the least reason to upgrade right now.

I'm still on the 4 after > 2yrs. I saw the 4s as incremental over the 4, and the 4 was good enough to hold off on upgrading. I see the 5 being a larger increment, but pretty substantial when going from the 4->5.

And now, the 4 is getting to be awfully pokey relative to everything else.

So, I have a 5 on order. I don't expect to get the next model after and will likely move to a every-other-model approach unless there's a huge leap at some point.

But...of course we're now at incremental updates. From the original iphone to the 3G, that's 200% jump! and throw in a "G" to boot! wow! :)

Now, we're talking a jump from 4 to 5...wow, 25%. pffftt! lAm3! ;)

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
Isn't the speed referring to the spec upgrades? So the 5s could easily be given a faster processor (maybe finally quad core) and that alone would justify the 's' tag.

Am I missing something...is this new quad core A6 not actually quad core...AGAIN?

J Griz 757

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2010
Opinions are great aren't they?
That is why some see the glass as half full and others half empty

The glass is always full to me, half full with scotch, half full with oxygen molecules :D ( I'm a Astrophysics guy, sorry haha)

I'll continue to be a sucker, but this will be my last iPhone till the 2014 model.

Ping Guo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Ping (the OP), you have a 4s right now, don't you? I assume so, as 4s owners have the least reason to upgrade right now.

I'm still on the 4 after > 2yrs. I saw the 4s as incremental over the 4, and the 4 was good enough to hold off on upgrading. I see the 5 being a larger increment, but pretty substantial when going from the 4->5.

And now, the 4 is getting to be awfully pokey relative to everything else.

So, I have a 5 on order. I don't expect to get the next model after and will likely move to a every-other-model approach unless there's a huge leap at some point.

But...of course we're now at incremental updates. From the original iphone to the 3G, that's 200% jump! and throw in a "G" to boot! wow! :)

Now, we're talking a jump from 4 to 5...wow, 25%. pffftt! lAm3! ;)

I'm still carrying my 3G which I bought unlocked in Hong Kong. It's a warhorse, and it's never failed me. Used it on T-Mobile, China Telecom, and Celcom here in Malaysia.

I guess I'm a cheap b*stard New Englander at heart. :D I don't like the idea of replacing something if I don't have to. That said, my 3G is getting long in the tooth and I'm interested in the GSIII and Lumia. But when I handled those phones I realized iOS really has been a rock solid experience. And, I'm invested in iTunes music libraries and podcasts and can't be bothered switching everything over.

All other things being equal, I'll just choose the phone with the most stable OS. I'm hoping Sir Ives and Co. really bring it next time around. With any luck the Chinese will begin leaking parts within a few months. I'm excited for iPhone 6!

lsvtecjohn3

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Is it me or does the hype for iPhone 5 seem muted compared to previous releases? While most would agree that this is an incremental upgrade, the new A6 processor is most welcome. Ives, on the other hand, really phoned it in this time. (Pun intended)

What we're waiting for is a fresh new design. Some have speculated Apple will be making use of their "liquid metal" technology to produce something curved like a 3G. Personally I find that model much more pleasant to hold.

I'm looking forward to being amazed all over again by the iPhone 6. :)

You can wait for the iPhone 6 all you want, but its going to be the same phone as the iPhone 5. This year phone was a hardware update next year iPhone will be a software update. That's how it's been since the iPhone 3G

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Not mainstream useful
Yes, there are some people who are using it and taking advantage of it
But it is not seen as useful to the guy on the street, Apple's target audience
Until it IS seen as useful, there is no reason for Apple to add it
Apple isn't in the habit of adding costly features that impact design, battery, etc. to fulfill the wishes of the small minority
When NFC becomes a significant force, they will likely add it

Apple, being the same company that completely reinvented the phone (imo), do an awful lot of following these days. It seems like they've lost their bottle a bit if they're now waiting until features become popular before implementing them.

Where is the company that had the balls to try something completely different? Seems they're letting other companies do the innovating now and waiting to see what works before taking the plunge themselves.

silversun

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
Next year will just be an iPhone 5s...same design, Apple A7, iOS 7, camera maybe bumped to 12mp...Just like 4 to 4s
Won't be any surprise I think.
iPhone 6 would be in 2014;)

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Apple, being the same company that completely reinvented the phone (imo), do an awful lot of following these days. It seems like they've lost their bottle a bit if they're now waiting until features become popular before implementing them.

Where is the company that had the balls to try something completely different? Seems they're letting other companies do the innovating now and waiting to see what works before taking the plunge themselves.

There was a demand for the iPhone features
There are very few people who care about NFC. Most people at Starbucks still pay with cards even though they have smartphones

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.