Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
For those of you who want a solid dock, you should check out the Elevation Dock that was started at Kickstarter. They don't have one for the iPhone 5 yet, but hopefully soon.

DocNYz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
East Coast, USA
What?! A dock makes it so much easier. Should've replaced it with a wireless charging system.

****ing seriously. Instead of waiting for PowerMat to make one which works well, but makes the beautiful piece of manufacturing feel like a piece of plastic ****. And ****ing TB and USB 3. Some of us actually still keep some music on the phone and use this thing to take a lot of 1080p video ...

----------

Well you can get one here at http://www.theipadframe.com They have 2 models, one looks like the original and the other is very unique.

Clutch.

janderson0719

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
Gross. Why would you want to cover something so beautiful, thin, light, and durable? Enjoy your iPhone

Thank you! I say exactly this to people who ask me why I don't have a case. And some of my friends actually agreed and got rid of their cases.

I will NEVER understand why people put those fugly Otter cases on something so beautifully designed.

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Im shocked that this many people care about this. I dont know anyone who uses a dock to charge their iphone. I just plug it into a cable. I dont think the dock really adds much to the appearance and its hard to use with a case. Obviously there are quite a few people who do use them though.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Can't we use the lighting to 30-pin adaptor to retrofit the iPhone 4 dock we currently have?

I don't think that's wise. The existing iPhone 4/4S dock is shaped so it kind cups the bottom of the phone to provide support. If you use the adapter on it, the only thing holding the iPhone 5 up will be that little metal Lightning connector. I don't expect that would be enough to keep the iPhone from falling backwards and might damage the Lightning connector on the adaptor.

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I suspect there will be at least one company out there that will sell just a plain dock. The one problem I have with Apple docks is they are too light and you can't just lift the iPhone out. I'm sure someone will come to our rescue.

pmas76

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2011
I suspect there will be at least one company out there that will sell just a plain dock. The one problem I have with Apple docks is they are too light and you can't just lift the iPhone out. I'm sure someone will come to our rescue.

Someone already has, read a couple of posts up...

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 135

alexkywalker

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Did you really own one of those?

I think I purchased an Apple dock for my iPod Nano 1st generation so that I could put it on my car and change the songs while driving.

After that I purchased one for an iPhone 3GS but never really used it that much.

Smartphones have exponentially seen their use-time grow, to the point where people have a very hard time putting them down (except for recharging them).

It has become almost a nervous tick to constantly check phones (whether or not you have a notification alert).

The dock is dead. Long live.

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
I want a dock, use it all the time. especially since this iphone won't neatly pug into anything I have now.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
If the connector is too small to support the phone, couldn't they just add a short "back" to the dock to keep the phone up? Or... something lol
The presumption that the Lightning connector is too short to support the phone is baloney.

The metal part of the legacy Dock Connector is only 6mm long, and yes, Apple could add a back or lip to the dock to support the phone.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
This is rediculous! They're only doing it to force people into buying their £30 adapters!!!!!! I love Apple, but it's so clear how they got so wealthy!

They really should have included wireless charging in this iPhone. I don't care about the "It's not a new technology" ********. They should have included it and that's that. iPhone 5 is extremely disappointing. I'll stick with my iPhone 4 and its dock, thanks.

naeS1Sean

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Scranton, PA
This honestly makes me think they will come out with a bumper. They probably would have included it in the convo if they were killing it also...fingers crossed!

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
I bought a dock, but not $39 like apple wanted, got it for $10 on sale (authentic). I don't think it's worth apples prices it charges.

naeS1Sean

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Scranton, PA
Im shocked that this many people care about this. I dont know anyone who uses a dock to charge their iphone. I just plug it into a cable. I dont think the dock really adds much to the appearance and its hard to use with a case. Obviously there are quite a few people who do use them though.

I didnt think so either. the only way i would use it (without it being a burden in my mind) is if i used a iMac and had this their for when i was on the comp...but i dont. :p

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
This honestly makes me think they will come out with a bumper. They probably would have included it in the convo if they were killing it also...fingers crossed!

How can they make a bumper thou? It's got nowhere to latch onto like the previous model

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Thank you! I say exactly this to people who ask me why I don't have a case. And some of my friends actually agreed and got rid of their cases.

I will NEVER understand why people put those fugly Otter cases on something so beautifully designed.

Some people use the Otter because they are droppers or fear their phone will break if dropped. or are in conditions where it may get damaged easily. *personally they look too big and bulky.

One nice things about the iP5 being smaller/thinner is a case wont be as bulky now.

I liked the bumper (before it split after 6 months) on my iP4. it was a touch "bulky" but had a bit of a grip on it to keep from sliding off tables when buzzing, easy to grab and flip around in my hands. and the smooth edge kept it from being too grippy.

but since it broke my iP4 has been nude/naked. i bought screen protectors but never installed after seeing others that looked 'yucky'. I have some scratches/dings and most notably from a drop (a little higher than waist high) onto the sidewalk. thankfully it has no great crack, just a tiny one in the corner.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I think the problem with designing a dock is getting it to work with whatever case or bumper or whatnot people put on their phones.

Lex Yu

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2009
That is very disappointing news, though I know 3rd party product will come out soon.

None of 3rd party docks got me satisfied with its manufactured quality for years, that is why I was waiting for Apple's own iPhone 5 dock.

I might stick with my iPhone 4S instead of buying 5. Yes, I'm that desperate dock maniac!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.