Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios_6_feature_icons-500x414.jpg
It's been a busy day with today's launch of iOS 6 and associated news, so we thought we take the opportunity to provide a roundup of today's stories to help those who might have missed something get caught up.

With the public release of iOS 6, a number of reviews have hit the Internet summarizing the new features and enhancements. Apple has of course detailed many of the changes at both its Worldwide Developers Conference in June and its iPhone 5 media event earlier this month, and Apple's broad-reaching developer program has had access to builds for a number of months, but for many people the public launch is their first time getting their hands on the new operating system. A few of the interesting iOS 6 reviews we've seen so far include:

- iMore
Compared to previous versions of iOS, and compared to competing platforms, iOS 6 doesn't have the same level of customer facing pizazz this year. Sure, there's Do Not Disturb and the new Privacy features, FaceTime over 3G, Siri for iPad and iPod touch, VIP mail, Panorama photos, Safari image uploads, single-app-mode, and a few other enhancements, but making a new Maps app was a huge amount of work for Apple. Likewise, positioning Siri and Passbook for the future compromised Apple's ability to deliver in the present.
- Macworld
There are still gaps, to be sure, but it seems like there are fewer every year. And Apple is meanwhile trying to plant more flags with forward-looking features like Passbook. Whether it'll take its rightful place on the Home screen with Mail and Safari, or end up consigned to the dust heap of history like Ping, it's clear that Apple is not resting on its laurels, with iOS 6.

Simply put, there's no reason not to update to iOS 6, and plenty of reasons for you to jump onboard.
- The Next Web
Overall, iOS 6 is very good, with some nice touches throughout that ease pain points and refine the experience. And Passbook has the potential to be wonderfully useful. But the question marks of Maps and the App Store are big ones, integral to the ability to recommend iOS as the best platform for a smartphone purchase down the line. These are challenges that Apple will hopefully meet, but we'll see.
In addition to the iOS 6 launch, Apple pushed out a number of other software updates for both iOS and Mac, including the following:

- Apple Releases OS X 10.8.2 with Facebook Integration and Game Center
- Apple Releases OS X 10.7.5 with Gatekeeper
- Apple Releases MacBook Pro Retina EFI Update 1.0
- 'Cards' Gains iPad Compatibility and Multi-Photo Layouts
- Apple Updates Find My Friends with Friend Location Notifications
- Apple Updates iOS iLife Apps: iPhoto, GarageBand, and iMovie

We've highlight some of the new features in separate articles:

- iOS 6: Guided Access, Also for Kids and Kiosks
- iOS 6 Brings Panoramic Camera to iPhone 4S
- Passbook Enabled-Apps Start Arriving on App Store

Our iOS 6 forums are incredibly busy with questions and comments about the latest release. Finally, MacStories has posted a nice bullet-point list of lesser-known tidbits and features found in iOS 6. We've highlighted some we found most interesting here:

- "Settings > General > About > Advertising: this is new and you can limit ad tracking by toggling the off/on button"
- "When using Safari for iPhone in landscape, you get a full screen button."
- "You can now set an alarm with a song and not just a tone."
- "Updating apps doesn't require a password anymore."

Article Link: Roundup of iOS 6 Launch Day News and Reviews

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I'm most excited for Flyover. It's very impressive on my iPad.
I can't wait for future improvements to it.

And I can't believe I haven't updated my 4S!! I'm gonna hold off till Friday, to try out iOS 6 on my new iPhone 5.

drscreenplay

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Passbook aint workin

Passbook not working
Uh yeah trying all kinds of things including chaning the year of the phone, but still not working. Yes i have Fandango and Walgreens downloaded already. I wonder if it's a problem that I updated the apps before I got iOS 6 on my phone. Kinda lame to have like the one new feature not work.

johncarync

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
Cary, NC
Let me install the old maps PLEASE!

Search for restaurants around me with the old (Google) maps and it finds over 20.
Search for restaurants around me with the new maps and it finds...3!

Give me the option of using the old Maps app until you fill in the gaps PLEASE!

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
the best new feature for me - the "load images" button in email. I have email set to not automatically download images and have wanted this for a long time - feature request finally answered!

Steveo13

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
South Carolina
Passbook not working
Uh yeah trying all kinds of things including chaning the year of the phone, but still not working. Yes i have Fandango and Walgreens downloaded already. I wonder if it's a problem that I updated the apps before I got iOS 6 on my phone. Kinda lame to have like the one new feature not work.

I don't know about Walgreens, but Fandango will only appear in passbook when you buy a movie ticket. Then after you use it, it will be deleted again.

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Maps is getting some serious hate today, and while I can't speak for every where, I've been using it in North Carolina since the beta came out, and I love it. It certainly knows where to go. Although I do have one complaint. My wife always takes a "shortcut" on the way home, that I have sworn is no shorter. Well, thanks a heap Maps, as it takes us the way of her shortcut. She's been bragging ever since.

cadillac1234

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Finally got to use Siri on my iPad

I love it :D

Is there a way to get her to tell you the UEFA Champions League scores?

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Maps is getting some serious hate today, and while I can't speak for every where, I've been using it in North Carolina since the beta came out, and I love it. It certainly knows where to go. Although I do have one complaint. My wife always takes a "shortcut" on the way home, that I have sworn is no shorter. Well, thanks a heap Maps, as it takes us the way of her shortcut. She's been bragging ever since.

You need to use maps to get home? (just for fun I hope).

photographypro

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
American in Pisa (Italy)
i miss street view!

Love most of the features, but Street View was so useful for Church and business work. You could see the house you were driving to, and get an idea of the neighborhood on a sales call. :(

I moved to Pisa, Italy 3 weeks ago, and street view worked here!

Now it's gone for here and US. Maybe Google Places will work?

And flyover just looks like a tilted satellite view. i looked at the Golden Gate Bridge, SF, and the leaning tower of Pisa, and you get "tilted satellite.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.