Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Switzerland's Schweizerische Bundesbahnen, or Swiss Federal Railway service, has accused Apple of using their iconic clock in its Clock app for iPad without permission, according to a report in the Swiss newspaper Blick [Google Translate].

swissrailwayclock.jpg

Left: Apple's Clock app. Right: The iconic Swiss Railway clock. Courtesy Wikipedia
The clock, designed by Hans Hilfiker, has become an icon of both the Swiss railway and of Switzerland itself. The trademark and copyright for the clock is owned by the Swiss Federal Railways service.

According to the article:
SBB is the sole owner of the trademark and copyright of the railway clock. The railway company will now get in touch with Apple. The aim is a legal, as well as a financial solution. It is not right that one [Apple] simply copies the design.
The paper notes that Apple Switzerland declined to comment and directed reporters to Apple's corporate headquarters in the United States.

The clock's image is widely licensed, with the watchmaker Mondaine selling replicas around the world.

(Thanks for the translation, Dave!)

Update: In the interest of fairness, we have changed our links from Tages-Anzeiger to the Swiss daily Blick, which first reported the story. The translated quote remains one provided by a MacRumors reader from a paragraph in the Tages-Anzeiger story.

Article Link: Swiss Federal Railways Says Apple Copied Its Iconic Railway Clock

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
There's really no dispute here, but c'mon, a clock face? Are we going to start accusing Maxis of copying Sherwin-Williams' wallpaper because there's a similar shade of blue in the Sims? :rolleyes:

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
it's obviously different. all three hands are pointing in different directions. the railway clock reads 12:40, while the iPad clock reads 9:38. case closed.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
Pretty sure my 1986 LEGO train station had the same clock and no one gave a crap then...

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Yup, Apple does reference many iconic designs with their hardware and software.

It would make sense to get the rights to do so first though :rolleyes:

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Well... the gray background in both pictures is used extensively in my home. I think I'll sue both Switzerland and Apple. :p

Last edited:

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I'm sure Apple will happily pay the $10 in damages. How could this possibly "hurt" them? I see that it is licensed, but I can't imagine this appearing on the iPad would impact them outside of them wanting the lic fees.

I do however believe this is an identical copy. I wonder how Apple gets their images. If an employee creates these, someone is gonna be fired for not doing their job and actually creating the icon and instead they copied.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.