Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the arrival of iOS 6, users have begun using the new turn-by-turn directions built into Apple's mapping app. iPhone 5, 4S and iPad 2 and 3 users get turn-by-turn navigation with spoken directions that automatically route users to their destination. The iPhone 4 does not support the much promoted feature.

In iOS 5's Google version of Maps, the app provided directions in list-form and allowed users to press 'next' and 'previous' to navigate from turn to turn. Though the iPhone 4 doesn't officially support turn-by-turn directions, Apple has significantly upgraded how the Maps app presents them.

iphone4directions2.jpg

Directions are displayed on the screen in the same style as "turn-by-turn" but users can swipe manually just like the iOS 5 version, or the directions change after you reach the turn.

Article Link: How the iPhone 4 Displays Map Directions in iOS 6

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Let it be noted that turn-by-turn directions only work on the cellular models of the iPad. I guess it makes sense but it would be nice for when i have my Verizon hotspot in my car with me. If I'm mistaken someone please tell me how to activate this feature in the iPhone 5 style.

srharris22

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2010
en route ETA in iOS6? Where is it exactly on the 4.

So I thought that iOS6 was supposed to bring updated ETA on Maps during the drive? My iPhone 4 does not have this however my friend has iPhone 4s and said it is on there. Is that correct that it will be on 4s and 5 but not the 4?

Also, are we not getting traffic info on Maps? I see construction and accident notifications but none of the green/yellow/red lines we are all accustomed to seeing.

jazzguitar

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2008
You don't have to swipe manually. I tried it out on my way home tonight and it switched to the next road sign when I approached my turn.

Krazyrogue

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2011
One cool feature the iPhone 4's map app has is that if you press the my location button to follow you, the directions on top actually moves to the next step. So when your location moves past the current step it'll automatically go to the next step, basically giving you turn by turn navigation. There's no voice and there's no fancy graphics but it worked well several times for me.

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
You don't have to swipe manually to go to the next instruction. On my iPhone 4 it automatically swipes to the next turn after I hit the currently displayed turn.

Webecinya

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2011
Garbage. I bought my iPhone 4 not 2 yrs ago but I don't get the iOS 6 features that matter? Almost over it.

BigJayhawk

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
New Jersey
Let it be noted that turn-by-turn directions only work on the cellular models of the iPad. I guess it makes sense but it would be nice for when i have my Verizon hotspot in my car with me. If I'm mistaken someone please tell me how to activate this feature in the iPhone 5 style.

That would be because the Cellular Chip on the iPad is what contains the GPS Chip. No GPS chip -- No GPS Directions. The newest iPod has a separate GPS chip so it can do turn-by-turn.

Gerard185

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Garbage. I bought my iPhone 4 not 2 yrs ago but I don't get the iOS 6 features that matter? Almost over it.

So true, great news! You get free updated iOS every year, bad news: if you model is over 1 year, you get the worthless version of the update

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
You don't have to swipe manually to go to the next instruction. On my iPhone 4 it automatically swipes to the next turn after I hit the currently displayed turn.

You don't have to swipe manually. I tried it out on my way home tonight and it switched to the next road sign when I approached my turn.

thanks. I fixed it.

arn

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Obviously they could have routed the text-to-speech through the Voice Commands/VoiceOver speech ability instead of Siri on the iPhone 4, but at least they didn't completely leave out turn by turn. Leaving out the graphics, kind of understandable. But the voice... meh, well what can ya do.

It's definitely an upgrade for me in that regard, anyway.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
I'm confused: how does this differ from turn-by-turn on the other newer iOS devices? Is it just no speaking or does it no warn you about turns coming up or?

Vertical

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
Kentucky
I was just about to say that on the 4 the directions change automatically now. Its much better than before in that aspect. That was always a HUGE pain to try and hit the little arrow every turn.

Its different on the iPhone 4 because there is no audio. So no, siri doesnt warn you about upcoming turns, traffic, etc. Its exactly like the google version of the list, except it looks different and changes the turns for you automatically based on your GPS location.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.