Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Yeah that header is nice but last night maps took me down a dead end street. It sucks. No discussion.

To be fair, that did and does happen with google maps too. I've had google maps send me down dead end streets, direct me to turn the wrong way on one way streets, direct me onto streets that were still under construction. The best rule is to keep the brain engaged when using such navigational aids. :)

BimmerJP

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2012
I use "Waze" on my iPhone 4. Its free and it works well.

No no no no... I mean, yeah, you have iPhone 4, so you kinda have to use Waze since it's free. This thing is, I used to use Waze before iOS6, and it is terrible!! Let's say I want to go to highway 1. The road sign tells me to turn right, and yet Waze will tell me to turn left. I am like :confused: That happened to me so many times. There was a time I finally say, fine, let's go with your way this time, and guess what the app did after I follow the instruction? That rerouting sound appeared and then the app tried to route me back. I was just :mad::mad::mad: Also, Waze doesn't know what U-turn is. It only knows "turn left, and then turn left. Waze also doesn't tell you the street name.
Anyway, I really have a lot of complains, and honestly I never trust that app. Still, it's free, so I don't think I should blame them too much. I'm just sad that Apple doesn't let iPhone 4 users have the basic TBT. That really sucks.
Good luck bro. Hope Waze doesn't do that to you too often. It really cost me a lot of gas :(

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
People are still receiving a lot of problems with the new Maps app. Heck...Even the new Maps icon shows a sharp turn off a bridge!!

Attachments

• SharpTurn.jpg
    SharpTurn.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 211

BimmerJP

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2012
Anyone who relies that heavily on turn by turn navigation in order not to see the river, deserves to fall into it.

Exactly. Those drivers always say, "I was concentrating on driving and...." Well, clearly, you weren't concentrating!! They really deserve to fall into a river or whatever so they can learn a lesson. One of my friends got hit by this kinda driver before, and it's just :mad:

----------

People are still receiving a lot of problems with the new Maps app. Heck...Even the new Maps icon shows a sharp turn off a bridge!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!! I did't even realize that!!

----------

So I thought that iOS6 was supposed to bring updated ETA on Maps during the drive? My iPhone 4 does not have this however my friend has iPhone 4s and said it is on there. Is that correct that it will be on 4s and 5 but not the 4?

Also, are we not getting traffic info on Maps? I see construction and accident notifications but none of the green/yellow/red lines we are all accustomed to seeing.

There is no more green line, but there are yellow and red "dashes". It is on my 4S and it's pretty damn accurate in my area so far.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Lets just hope those turn-by-turn directions don't take someone across a river in their car.

Why not if they are that retarded not to know the difference between driving on the road and driving off the road into a river I am all for nature taking that gene pool out of the equation. :rolleyes:

----------

So I thought that iOS6 was supposed to bring updated ETA on Maps during the drive? My iPhone 4 does not have this however my friend has iPhone 4s and said it is on there. Is that correct that it will be on 4s and 5 but not the 4?

Also, are we not getting traffic info on Maps? I see construction and accident notifications but none of the green/yellow/red lines we are all accustomed to seeing.

I don't think your going to see the Google style of traffic if that is what your looking for. Looks like they are going to use a symbol for traffic accidents and constructions. At least that what it looks like for now.

----------

Garbage. I bought my iPhone 4 not 2 yrs ago but I don't get the iOS 6 features that matter? Almost over it.

Oh poor baby, don't cry. What did you expect? Get an iphone 4S for 99 bucks and you will get all the features or almost all of them, the fly over I don't miss or will likely ever come to smaller towns and the subs of small cities. :( but again I really don't care GPS and directions is really al I need to make life simpler and more enjoyable. Mostly in a place where every street are just names of people and things. So after you reach butterfly street turn to Apple avenue and go to Abraham...

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
----------

[/COLOR]

I don't think your going to see the Google style of traffic if that is what your looking for. Looks like they are going to use a symbol for traffic accidents and constructions. At least that what it looks like for now.

----------

But you get both. Take a look during commute time ... Red and yellow dashed lines everywhere. At least where I work.

rsocal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
Southern Ca
Maps & more?

I've had Google Maps be wrong here & there and some times led me so far off as in the next city one time, and once to a road that ends, turns into a fire road to access power lines. No I wasn't looking for the power lines but once I new they were the wrong directions, my wife & I for fun wanted to see where it took us, it was pretty funny. I live in So.Cal, my wife's from NYC so we love to go every year at least twice and Google Maps has had it's problems there.

I do like the new Navigation in iOS 6 and the maps seem pretty cool and I can't wait until later today when my iPhone 5s get here to see how it works on the new hardware. iOS 6 is awesome and I really like it!

However I think Google Maps overall is still better as far as maps but the talking Nav is awesome! Be patient as I'm sure Apple will get it up to par with some updates, no matter how much work they did making their own Maps it has to get into public hands for feed back from the people using it everyday across the world. I'm also looking forward to a Google App from the App Store. I think it will get approved, Apple would take way to much heat if not giving where their Maps are at this time!

I'm a Hardcore Apple Fan and their products are of the best quality! Their Hardware can not be touched, their Software is always smooth and very easy to use! I played with friends phones and just yesterday I played around for a couple hours with my Buddy's S3 and it is a nice phone but the quality is just ok!
The software is nice but nothing felt as smooth as iOS and for me way to big in the hand, it's like a tank compared to a Mercedes!
:cool::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::cool:

grockk

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
Can someone with an iPhone 4 try using Voice Over and see if it will speak directions that way? Just a thought.

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
I have an iPhone 4 and was pleasantly surprised with the changes. While disappointing that it doesn't get full turn-by-turn, the new street sign style turn info is much better than what the old Google maps based app had. I was wondering if it would auto-update to the next turn once you made the current turn, and I'm glad to be reading that it does. That will be very welcome.

I also downloaded Waze, linked the Google maps web app and may try MapQuest or some others as well. None of them seems perfect so it's nice to have a few choices.

Google maps took me to a non-existent Walgreens in a residential area before so it's certainly not perfect. I expect them to submit a new app to the App Store, but it wouldn't surprise me if it took some time either (whether due to time to prepare it properly or just to turn the knife a bit in Apple's side and appear as the map savior when it is released).

Looking forward to improvements to the new Maps over time.

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
"Directions are displayed on the screen in the same style as "turn-by-turn" but users can swipe manually just like the iOS 5 version, or the directions change after you reach the turn."

This is not the case on my 3GS. I tried it on my way to work this morning. While the directions were displayed in "turn by turn style", they did not change as I reached/made turns - I had to swipe to get to the next step. Don't know if the 3GS isn't supposed to have this feature or not.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I'm confused: how does this differ from turn-by-turn on the other newer iOS devices? Is it just no speaking or does it no warn you about turns coming up or?

The newer devices show a sort of 2.5d overhead view like a GPS navigation unit, with the arrow in the middle. It also speaks the turns to you when they are coming up.

This on the 4 is essentially like before, but it now actually uses your location to flip to the next direction automatically.

I've always wondered why the Google Maps version never did this, they had the "fences" around the turns for a long time, and the app was already tracking location so all it had to do is update to the next direction when you enter then leave the circle.

hirshnoc

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Surely you're not going to need a mapping app to figure out how to get to work every day? I would think you could figure out the route online one time and then take that...

Yeah that's what I'll have to do which is how I used to get driving directions, printed out manually from Google Maps -- it's just kind of a shame how Apple took away a lot of features in this release all revolving around their strained relationship with Google. I'm glad we can still use Google search in Safari...

justas21

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2009
Directions not always "swipeable".

That is, when I start navigation from current position, the directions are not swiapable. But if look for directions between two points (not current location), the signs above can be swiped... What gives?

IMG_0705.PNG
IMG_0706.PNG

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
The new Maps database is going to need a lot of work to catch up with Google. But what I miss the most in the new app (unless I've overlooked something on my iPhone 4) is that there's no way to simply enter a location and see where it is. The app instantly assumes I want directions there. Previously, I could either search for a location or ask for directions to it. I use the search feature more than I ask for directions.

C.G.B. Spender

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2012
Apple Maps app shows roads (more like walk paths actually) and i can even get directions from there to any place unlike in Google Maps. I'm talking about my house in the country outside the city.

So for it was a step forward.

hushypushy

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2011
San Jose, CA

When did Cupertino get a bridge in the middle of town?! :eek:

That's I-280 and the N De Anza Blvd exit...which is how you actually get to Apple. The turn on the icon is a little bit too sharp but hey, it's an icon.

infinite_zps4afd360f.png

ios_zpsd63f5eef.jpg

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Sticking with iOS 5

All these comments about maps just makes me glad I didn't jump. I use Google Maps public transport directions a lot so would sorely miss that. I have a Satnav app I bought for my iPhone 4 which does all the turn by turn stuff and from what I've seen the new maps are hopeless outside the US. Also, I've jail broken it so I can tether when I travel in the US plus my car charger is the 30pin type so I'll need something very good to get me to upgrade the phone itself as it all works for me and is unlocked. I'm also rocking an iPad 1 which also does what it needs so I'll be off the upgrade path for a while yet.

iOS 6 is a dud and the fact the iPhone 5 runs it means I'm not going there even though I could afford to if I sold my 4 and chipped in some cash.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Garbage. I bought my iPhone 4 not 2 yrs ago but I don't get the iOS 6 features that matter? Almost over it.

Gee, if you buy an Android phone, you're relieved of that pressure, because you never get the OS upgrade that gives you a new capability.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
The new Maps database is going to need a lot of work to catch up with Google. But what I miss the most in the new app (unless I've overlooked something on my iPhone 4) is that there's no way to simply enter a location and see where it is. The app instantly assumes I want directions there. Previously, I could either search for a location or ask for directions to it. I use the search feature more than I ask for directions.

You can definitely do that on my 4S, and I don't know why not on your 4. Type in the name of a business or landmark. It should just go to there. With a little pin. With a car on the flag. Hit the car, get directions to it.

It reads Yelp data for a lot of businesses. It also gives you an address for someone in your Contacts, if you did. I haven't worked it out yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.