Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In response to concerns about the durability of the Black iPhone 5's back shell, iFixIt has posted a video pitting a black iPhone 5 against a 2 year old with a set of keys.

Again, this video shows more purposeful abuse to the iPhone 5 than in daily usage, but they do compare it to an iPhone 4S glass backing. As expected, the glass back is not as susceptible to blemishes as the iPhone 5 with the same amount of abuse.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Rear Case Scratch Test Video

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I don't mind it getting scratched that much. To me the device looks like it will hold together really well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Damn, knew I should have got the white one. Probably the reason why we've not seen a black Unibody Mac yet. Also quite surprised at the damage the ring did to the side, iPhone 5's going to be hanging out in a case from now on!

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Is this seriously what we are resorting to now for news clicks? If you gouge a 2 year old a set of keys and have her bang the crap out of an iPhone, it scratches. SCUFFGATE.

I'm seriously worried for humanity.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

In response to concerns about the durability of the Black iPhone 5's back shell, iFixIt has posted a video pitting a black iPhone 5 against a 2 year old with a set of keys.

YouTube: video
Again, this video shows more purposeful abuse to the iPhone 5 than in daily usage, but they do compare it to an iPhone 4S glass backing. As expected, the glass back is not as susceptible to blemishes as the iPhone 5 with the same amount of abuse.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Rear Case Scratch Test Video

So um, don't do that?

efktd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2011
USA
If you got rid of all the black, wouldn't it be the same color as the white iPhone 5's back?

not completely rid the black, just many small scuffs, giving it a nice machinery industry look to it.

Tx006094

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I find it funny that she said her daughter wasn't the strongest two-year-old in the world!

Shade12

macrumors regular
May 15, 2012
USA,OHIO
I hate that They should used glass. I have iPhone 4 and it looks like new been dropped and always in my pocket. Still looks new

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
I'm going to guess the white aluminum is just as susceptible, but does it show as easily as the black?

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Apple can't win. They use a hard material like glass, people slam them on the ground and cry about the glass breaking. They use a softer material like anodized aluminum, and people key the thing and cry about little scratches.

I prefer the glass, but oh well, nobody understands how good glass is until they see the alternative. This is like people complaining about the paint job on their Bentley after they drove it through a barrier into a ditch.

Reactions: Jhonjhon236

melb00m

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
I don't know why everybody is so surprised by this. Obviously, glass is harder than aluminum. But it does break more easily, too... There's just no material that resists everything.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
This reminds me of my old 3GS; after a few months of use it got pretty scratched and then I moved to the 4S. Glass is defiantly the best for protecting against scratches but obviously has the issue of being shattered. Can't win them all though.

On another note, is iPhone 5 still made of the same stainless steel around the edge? It's a different colour but looks exactly the same. I have used cases with my 4s and they have all scratched the stainless steel band...

Last edited:

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
I find it funny that she said her daughter wasn't the strongest two-year-old in the world!

Mom wasn't the brightest in the world. You give a blonde a new phone and she bangs the crap out of it. I think you'll have similar results from other phones.

shinyafro

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012
Just wait for the LiquidMetal iPhone 5S

Then people will complain that it's too hard to engrave! Normal wear is one thing, and this will wear significantly more than the glass, but purposeful scratching is another. If I buy a new car, I don't bounce keys off the hood and expect it to still look new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.