Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bryan85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Same issue for me as well. For me it is all encrypted networks. This needs to be fixed ASAP. This seems to either be a very widespread hardware issue or a software issue. Do you think it is worth it to try and get a replacement? or just wait it out and see what Apple does?

I am debating the same thing as to wether or not I should get my iPhone replaced. I would imagine this is something they can fix with an update however, if its not I don't want to end up with a refurbished phone down the road.

DevLow24

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Hey guys I've been having this problem too with slow wifi and random wifi drops. I just reset my iPhone with the home and lock button and it seems to have fixed it! I immediately noticed faster web page loads and faster video loading on you tube. Hope it works for you guys too!

KillerMonkey

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Same problem here. I have the iPhone 3G and I upgraded to the new iPhone 5 but when I got it I decided to download a few apps using my wifi. I know my wifi is fast cause I started downloading stuff in my MacBook and in no time I had stuff downloaded. I started noticing a slow download from the first app I downloaded to my iPhone 5. It took a little over 10 minutes to download Instagram. Then I started noticing that YouTubes buffering time on the iPhone 5 took more time when compared with the iPhone 3G. That made me realize that it was not the wifi but a problem in the iPhone 5. Please Apple you gotta fix this stupid stuff. My 4g was faster than my wifi which which is sad just looking at it. Disappointed...

99gsxftw

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Has anyone actually found a fix for this? I'm experiencing the same issues as everyone has posted. Have a iPhone4 running next to my 5 and the 5 seems to just drop off wifi randomly. When it does work it's very fast though.

I finally registered, cause this is really bugging me out.

Turbodc4

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Hey guys I've been having this problem too with slow wifi and random wifi drops. I just reset my iPhone with the home and lock button and it seems to have fixed it! I immediately noticed faster web page loads and faster video loading on you tube. Hope it works for you guys too!

THANK YOU I posted something like this earlier because it worked for me but I think no one read it! Everyone's pinging this or speed testing that! Doing too much work

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
There's a thread on the Apple Support Communities forum on this issue:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4322714?start=45&start=0

I discovered that when using WPA/WPA2 security on my Belkin N600 router my wifi speeds were really slow. When I changed the security to 128 bit WEP (or removed it entirely), the speed increased to what I was getting on my iPhone 4. Hope this helps...

This.

I've been saying it in other threads but no one seems to listen. Change your router to WEP. There's an issue with iOS 6 / iPhone 5 and WPA

Ever since I changed it last night, my speeds are a lot quicker. I even tried changing it back to WPA this morning and it got SLOW; changed it to WEP, fast again.

99gsxftw

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
This.

I've been saying it in other threads but no one seems to listen. Change your router to WEP. There's an issue with iOS 6 / iPhone 5 and WPA

Ever since I changed it last night, my speeds are a lot quicker. I even tried changing it back to WPA this morning and it got SLOW; changed it to WEP, fast again.

I don't want to have to switch to WEP though, as it makes other computers connected to the Internet slower... Also WPA is a much better secure than WEP.

I did reset my phone and its been better so far.. Still dropping out, but less than before. I'll comment back if it gets better or worse.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I am debating the same thing as to wether or not I should get my iPhone replaced. I would imagine this is something they can fix with an update however, if its not I don't want to end up with a refurbished phone down the road.

They don't have refurbished right now. If you replace within 30 days you'll get a NIB one.

Mjlivesimmortal

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I changed to WEP and yep, problem solved! Now I can't get my Mac mini to connect to the wifi lol. Oh well, at least my phone is working. Called Apple Support, getting a new one sent out Monday or Tuesday by express delivery and after I kicked up a fuss, they waived the £30 delivery charge. So I'll use WEP until I get my new phone. Hopefully this one will work with WPA!

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Glad I found this thread.

My iPhone 4s on ios 5.1 on my home wifi:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348328801.716088.jpg

My iPhone 5 on home wifi from the same spot:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348328842.447574.jpg

My wifi is Uverse and the results are consistent over multiple tests. I'll see about changing to WEP, but if it messes up my mac's connection, I'll switch back.

8mbs is still fast, but I'd like to get the speed that I'm paying for.

txflyfish

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
My suggestion to those of you waiting who are experiencing slow wifi across multiple hotspots, exchange your phones. Many times iOS resets and update will not be able to fix it. I've had stable ones and some (3GS, 4S) that are just slow no matter what you do to them

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
My suggestion to those of you waiting who are experiencing slow wifi across multiple hotspots, exchange your phones. Many times iOS resets and update will not be able to fix it. I've had stable ones and some (3GS, 4S) that are just slow no matter what you do to them

I'm going to exchange within the hour. I just hope they have stock set aside for replacements

DevLow24

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
THANK YOU I posted something like this earlier because it worked for me but I think no one read it! Everyone's pinging this or speed testing that! Doing too much work
Ha well it worked instantly for me and I didn't have to mess with my wifi stuff, but btw my wifi is already WEP so it may be a combo of both solutions?

egeek84

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
Northern California
I had this issue with my 4S as well, I believe it is an iOS bug since 5.1

Basically you just have to toggle "airplane mode" on and off for it to start working again.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
I have not experienced this but I would HIGHLY recommend AGAINST going to WEP encryption. It's broken, badly, and your network can be owned in about 45 seconds. Might as well just leave it wide open!

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
When I was at mom's yesterday, her Internet was painfully slow on all our iPhone 5's, but my iPad was fine. However, our iPhone 5's is fast on my home wifi. We both have the same Internet provider. The only difference I could see my modem is DOCSYS 3.0 connected to e4200, and she has a DOCSYS 2.0 modem with an older linksys wireless. Since my mom has an iPhone 5, I'm going to buy her a new 3.0 modem and a more up to date wireless to see if it helps.

mkwomble

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
I am having the same issues with WiFi... i use Air Video to stream and it was just not working at all and generally being slow.

I am in the UK with virgin media and have the 60mb with the super hub. They restrict WEP key protection.

I changed the wifi band to 5 ghz and it decided to work a HELL of a lot better. however our old iphone4s cant see it as its not 2.4ghz. So i plugged in our old router/wireless into to it and now have set it up with an extra wireless for the old iphones.

Not exactly the ideal solution but until i can get to an apple store and get to the bottom of it that will do.

Its certainly a significant problem though.

The youtube app, the videos are extremely slow no matter what i do, has anyone had experience of this?

snarlz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
United Kingdom
same here but its so intermittent, fast one min and painfully slow the next so I cant see what difference the router security settings will make? Got 4s running next to it with iOS6 and no issues at all.

Mengels7

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
I tried everything suggested and accomplished nothing until I restored. It's...better...but not quite there. I should be hitting 30mbps and my phone never gets past 20 or so. My ping is also constantly like 200ms...so something's still off I think. Seems like this will tide me over 'til a fix better than .5mbps though.

lordgaino

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2007
I have the same issue in uk with a bt infinity router. Repeated drops of the wifi signal. Very annoying.

bryan85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
I'm on my way to the Apple store to swap the phone. I will let you guys know if that fixes my issue.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Man, oh man, didn't we go through this when iOS 4 came out? I'll be damned if I'm going to screw with my wifi/router/network settings just to get the phone to work.

Add this to the reasons for waiting until all the bugs are ironed out of a new model...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.