Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbluhp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
to use the nike + ipod feature on iphone 5 is their any special nike equipment needed like the shoe sensor?

weezite

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
You actually don't even need the shoe sensor anymore of you're running outside as it tracks you using a GPS signal (and is fairly accurate doing so). You do need a shoe sensor if you are running on a treadmill though (or you can just manually enter your running data into the app).

Briview

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
You actually don't even need the shoe sensor anymore of you're running outside as it tracks you using a GPS signal (and is fairly accurate doing so). You do need a shoe sensor if you are running on a treadmill though (or you can just manually enter your running data into the app).

I think you're mistaking the different apps. To use the built-in Nike + iPod app that comes preinstalled, you will need a sensor regardless of your location or planned workout. There is a Nike+ app from the App Store that is free (and pretty hefty too, at more than 700 MB). That, indeed, will track your walk/run on a GPS signal and is accurate indeed.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I think you're mistaking the different apps. To use the built-in Nike + iPod app that comes preinstalled, you will need a sensor regardless of your location or planned workout. There is a Nike+ app from the App Store that is free (and pretty hefty too, at more than 700 MB). That, indeed, will track your walk/run on a GPS signal and is accurate indeed.

I use the Nike+ app (which I love) and it takes up less than 60MB on my iPhone. You can check app sizes by going to Settings > General > Usage.

weezite

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008

Yeah, I was talking about the GPS app. I figured that's the one that he was talking about now that its free in the App Store (used to be $2.99 I think). The GPS app takes up like 67mb of space.

Briview

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I use the Nike+ app (which I love) and it takes up less than 60MB on my iPhone. You can check app sizes by going to Settings > General > Usage.

Yeah, I was talking about the GPS app. I figured that's the one that he was talking about now that its free in the App Store (used to be $2.99 I think). The GPS app takes up like 67mb of space.

Yep... you're right. I was mistaking it with the Training app in terms of storage space (607 MB), while you're talking about the Running app. Sorry about that. Certainly a fantastic app with the built-in GPS tracking of your workout and in almost all ways, beats the built-in Nike + iPod app. It's almost like comparing the iPhone app to the iPod nano app.

yoyo53

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Melbourne , Australia
nike + iPod

Hi,
I had an iPhone 4 and used this all the time. Once I got my iPhone 5, a synced all apps but this app disappered. I am very frustrated as it does no longer appears in the app store. Any suggestions?

(Used the phone plus the sensor in the shoe as I run on treadmill and not outside.)

Thanks!

2SwiFt29

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
I think if you go to iTunes store, it should remember the app so you can just re-install it to your iPhone. I was lucky to get it when it was free and I just had to install the app again. I think it's like $.99 or $1.99 now for the Nike+ app which is the one that tracks by GPS without having to get the sensor.

yoyo53

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Melbourne , Australia
nike + iPod

Thanks for the response!
After posting, I went for a run (treadmill) and used the nike + running. It worked well. It was just that i wanted to make use of the sensor in my shoes. However,could not re-install the old app.

dgamer1

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
Hi,
I had an iPhone 4 and used this all the time. Once I got my iPhone 5, a synced all apps but this app disappered. I am very frustrated as it does no longer appears in the app store. Any suggestions?

(Used the phone plus the sensor in the shoe as I run on treadmill and not outside.)

Thanks!

You need to go into your settings and then find the Nike + iPod window and click on it and make sure that Nike + iPod button is set to ON.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.