Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marlon177

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
Nope, you have to buy the AT&T model in order to use the iPhone 5 on T-Mobile's LTE network.

It's beyond me why anyone goes with Verizon or AT&T. Both offer the same service as T-Mobile or Virgin, at almost double the price.

But hey, you get a subsidized phone.... :rolleyes:

first, Verizon iPhone 5 will work with T-Mobile if it is unlocked.
second, T-Mobile do not have 4G LTE.
maybe you dont know how fast 4G LTE is, or you dont even know what 4G LTE is.

Get your fact straight next time.

Last edited:

ET007

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2009
I can confirm that other sim cards work with a Verizon iPhone 5

Some good news: I was reading through this post since yesterday and hoping some one else would confirm that these Verizon iPhone 5's would work with other sim cards. I purchased a Verizon iPhone 5 (at full price since I did not want to loose my unlimited plan) from the Apple store yesterday. I practiced cutting a sim card to the nano size with an AT&T sim card and then took a TruSim card (they are on T-Mobile's network in the US) and stuck it in. I initially got the sign on the upper left corner 'no service' but I waited for 1-2 minutes and then the T-Mobile sign came up. Obviously, it is on the edge network but it is nice to know and confirm that these Verizon iPhone 5 are really unlocked. I travel a lot internationally and always like to use local pre-paid sim cards due to cost.

One piece of advice (however, I take no responsibility if you damage your sim card), when trimming the sim card, you will end up extending into that gold coloured part (I am not sure what it is called) of the sim card but it still seems to function on the cards that I cut.

Good luck!

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

iDownloadBlog has confirmed that the Verizon iPhone 5 being sold on contract does arrive unlocked for use on GSM networks, allowing users with a nano-SIM or a trimmed micro-SIM from a GSM carrier such as AT&T to use the device on their networks.
YouTube: video
As the report notes, users attempting to use a Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T in the United States will not have access to AT&T's LTE network, due to hardware differences that leave the Verizon iPhone 5 (which is essentially a single CDMA/GSM world-mode phone for 3G purposes) incompatible with LTE frequency bands 4 and 17 used by AT&T and Canadian carriers.

For other international GSM carriers, Verizon iPhone 5 owners should simply be able to obtain a nano-SIM card from the international carrier and use it in their phone.

Article Link: Verizon iPhone 5 Confirmed to Be Unlocked on GSM 3G Networks

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Is it likely or even possible that Apple, AT&T, Verizon could somehow put an end to this ability to use the Verizon model on ATT? Like with a software update, etc?

JerseyDoug

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
Nope, you have to buy the AT&T model in order to use the iPhone 5 on T-Mobile's LTE network.

It's beyond me why anyone goes with Verizon or AT&T. Both offer the same service as T-Mobile or Virgin, at almost double the price.

But hey, you get a subsidized phone.... :rolleyes:

Because I like my phone to work wherever I go? Just a thought.

Last edited:

bluesamg

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2012
Any word on Sprint? It is the same hardware as the Verizon iPhone 5.

Also, do you have to activate on VZW, or could you just buy it in a Verizon store, put in your cut down AT&T nano-SIM, and just use AT&T without ever signing up for Verizon?
Doubt it. Verizon is forced to do this because FCC put in a rule that they need the phones unlocked, because they got the 700mhz LTE Band.
Also Verizon isn't allowed to throttle, and they were also forced to put back tethering apps back on android market.

vEvo

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Is it likely or even possible that Apple, AT&T, Verizon could somehow put an end to this ability to use the Verizon model on ATT? Like with a software update, etc?

They could, if they wanted to break federal law.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
can you use an ATT phone on Verizon down the line?
No. Verizon doesn't allow phones that weren't sold under their brand. You have to have a verizon phone to use verizon service.

Thanks, guess I'll just jailbreak and unlock and go with H2O wireless or T-Mobile when they both have a nano sim.
There hasn't been a software unlock since the first few months of the 4.

Once the Verizon contract has expired, 2 years down the line, can I cancel/not renew, and use it with another carrier via sim card, or does the CDMA part keep me locked to Verizon anyway?
You can't use another cdma carrier, but you can use gsm.

Verizon can keep you off with their database. AT&T doesn't keep a database. They're dependent on gsm cards. Besides, at&t wants your money.

otlyer

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2010
first, Verizon iPhone 5 will works with T-Mobile if it is unlocked.
maybe you dont know how fast 4G LTE is, or you dont even know what is 4G LTE.

T-Mobile updating to lte and will be on band 4 so he need a att 5 ( Get your fact straight next time

dimitry

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I from Russia. How I can buy Iphone 5 not to wait too long? Ebay not to offer - there the high prices, and many sellers don't send sending to Russia. Whether there are any intermediaries who can quickly redeem unlocked Iphone 5 where they are available and to send them in Russia through Fedex, DHL or any other fast delivery service? Tell, please.

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
first, Verizon iPhone 5 will works with T-Mobile if it is unlocked.
maybe you dont know how fast 4G LTE is, or you dont even know what is 4G LTE.

First, learn English grammar.

Second, T-Mobile doesn't have LTE right now, but when it does, it'll require the AT&T model iPhone 5, as it supports the AWS band that T-Mobile's LTE service will be on.

Luscious

Suspended
Aug 8, 2007
The "4G" iPhone 5 is way faster than my 3G iPhone 4. The speed improvement uploading and downloading was immediately apparent. Calling it 4G is fine. It is faster.

Ramseagle

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
iPhone 5 with no plan

Does anyone know if you buy the iPhone 5 on the no contract for $650 will it be unlocked as well or just if its under contract

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Does anyone know if you buy the iPhone 5 on the no contract for $650 will it be unlocked as well or just if its under contract

We're all pretty sure the AT&T iPhone 5 will be sim locked to their network, even the $650 full price version. You'll always be better off buying the unlocked version direct from Apple when it ships in a few weeks.

Ramseagle

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
We're all pretty sure the AT&T iPhone 5 will be sim locked to their network, even the $650 full price version. You'll always be better off buying the unlocked version direct from Apple when it ships in a few weeks.

What about Verizon with them shipping the contract ones unlocked but I'm wondering about the month to month

vEvo

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
What about Verizon with them shipping the contract ones unlocked but I'm wondering about the month to month

It is legally required to come unlocked regardless of contract status as it operates on the 700 block of LTE spectrum.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch

The CDMA carriers have this nasty habit of refusing to activate any CDMA phone not originally sold for their network (Sprint still has to sell a massive number of iPhones due to their contract with Apple, but Verizon is really no better). So that's out.

But it's been confirmed that you can buy the Verizon iPhone to use on the AT&T network with an AT&T SIM card, but only on AT&T's GSM/HSPA/HSPA+ bands (what AT&T likes to call 4G). Unfortunately, the Verizon iPhone 5 won't work for AT&T's LTE network because the two models have different radios that support different LTE bands.

I don't think we know yet how the Verizon iPhone 5 will work overseas with a SIM card from an overseas carrier that supports LTE bands 1, 3, or 5. Is it just a matter of swapping SIM cards or will the baseband need to be changed?

In any case, if you buy the Verizon iPhone 5 on contract you are still on the hook for either the two year agreement or paying the ETF.

Has anyone been quoted a full price yet for the Verizon iPhone 5?

Ramseagle

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
The CDMA carriers have this nasty habit of refusing to activate any CDMA phone not originally sold for their network (Sprint still has to sell a massive number of iPhones due to their contract with Apple, but Verizon is really no better). So that's out.

But it's been confirmed that you can buy the Verizon iPhone to use on the AT&T network with an AT&T SIM card, but only on AT&T's GSM/HSPA/HSPA+ bands (what AT&T likes to call 4G). Unfortunately, the Verizon iPhone 5 won't work for AT&T's LTE network because the two models have different radios that support different LTE bands.

I don't think we know yet how the Verizon iPhone 5 will work overseas with a SIM card from an overseas carrier that supports LTE bands 1, 3, or 5. Is it just a matter of swapping SIM cards or will the baseband need to be changed?

In any case, if you buy the Verizon iPhone 5 on contract you are still on the hook for either the two year agreement or paying the ETF.

Has anyone been quoted a full price yet for the Verizon iPhone 5?

if you go on there site the month to month plan says that it is 649 for 16 gb
I heard that it should work overseas on carriers like vodafone and O2, thats the reason i was looking at verizons because i do alot of traveling to the united kingdom

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
if you go on there site the month to month plan says that it is 649 for 16 gb
I heard that it should work overseas on carriers like vodafone and O2, thats the reason i was looking at verizons because i do alot of traveling to the united kingdom

It looks like your only choice for an LTE carrier in the UK would be EE (Everything Everywhere, the Orange/T-Mobile joint venture):

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

From what I can tell, O2 and Vodaphone still don't have LTE infrastructure online yet, because their 800MHz/2600MHz spectrum won't be auctioned off until 2013. Neither version of the iPhone 5 will support those bands anyway. Maybe next year's iPhone 5S?

Last edited:

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Because I like my phone to work wherever I go? Just a thought.

That's funny, because up here in the hills of LA, there are plenty of spots where Verizon users can't get a signal, but T-Mobile users can (although I am sure the opposite is true in other locations).

All I know is that since switching to T-Mobile, I have not noticed ANY real difference in terms of coverage and data, but have noticed a HUGE difference in price (just about 50% less).

I'll get an iPhone 5 as soon as they start selling them unlocked and will see how it works on the T-Mobile network out here.

cchukan

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
Does this apply to Sprint phones as well?

If I get an iPhone5 with sprint, will I be able to use a GSM sim card in Europe without getting it unlocked?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.