Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I tend to get about 10-13mb/s down on WiFi over WPA2 enterprise, which was better than my HTC EVO 4G so I'm happy with it, but if I could get higher that would be awesome.

I then tried without WPA2 and got about the same results though a few times it hit 20. Then after switching back to WPA2 I am getting some 40mb/s scores.

Upload speeds however are all the over the place as it seems to drop out in the middle and stall, sometimes I get 20 and other times I get .5

Texran

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
Texas
Reset Network Settings

Those that have complained about losing the wifi connection and needing to re-enter the password.
Try a reset on the network settings.
It worked for me on a previous phone, and my iMac.

jrlcopy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
My LTE is around 10/10 on Verizon in NYC. But my wifi is great.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    448.4 KB · Views: 76

MacMan1620

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
My LTE speeds are horrible as well:
Wi-Fi

Randomly I get good upload speeds of 10-16mb but never do I get anything above a 4mb for downloads speeds

Just check my old iPhone 4 15.96 down and 7.32 Up...
Damn 1st Gen iDevices...

You should get better wifi. My service providers gives me 100mb/dn and my iPhone 5 is consistently downloading at 20-23mbs.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Another reason to wait to upgrade.

Yep. I feel bad for people who buy new stuff and get a lemon. That happened to my dad with an iMac he bought then gave to me later. It had the faulty NVIDIA GPU that was doomed to fail within 4 years. He also got a lemon by buying a 2000 Jaguar XKR when it first came out (8th model made or something).

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I'm getting normal speeds on my iPhone 4 with iOS 6.

----------

You should get better wifi. My service providers gives me 100mb/dn and my iPhone 5 is consistently downloading at 20-23mbs.

You have 100mbps internet access?? Are you right next to the backbone station or something?

WAPilot

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2011
Washington State
Not here

We are kicking butt on LTE...Here's a comparison in Portland, Oregon. One on the left is an iPhone 4S on 4G and the other is an iPhone 5 on LTE. Same location.

speedcompare.jpg

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Those that have complained about losing the wifi connection and needing to re-enter the password.
Try a reset on the network settings.
It worked for me on a previous phone, and my iMac.

Resetting stuff to fix first-run bugs seems to be a recurring theme in iOS 6. After opening and quitting the App Store a few times, it finally ran without glitches/crashing, and I had to try 3 times to get the iCloud restore to work. Hopefully Apple will fix all of this with a 6.1.

jrlcopy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
I think a better topic would be the HORRIBLE battery life. Unacceptable!!!

Mine's awesome, only charged it once Fri night, and it's still rocking, only at 36%. Made a couple hours of phone calls and a bunch of gaming a texts.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Apple will claim that this is a software. Because if they claim this as a hardware that's gonna be a recall. Wait a minute they didn't recall the iPhone 4.

They're going to claim it's software when it's really hardware then somehow release a software patch that fixes a hardware problem? Or just claim it's software then don't even release a patch for it? That won't work.

Fortunately for Apple, the iPhone 4 antenna problem only affected a few phones it seems, and the problem could be remedied by using a case. I deliberately tried to get some iPhone 4s to drop calls, but I couldn't.

jermy4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
I was having a range problem, my wifi would only work on my 5 if I was within about 20-25 feet from my router and would either drop or slow to a crawl if I was further than that. I tried all sorts of things with my phone and my router but then I started to realize that not only was I having these problems but I wasn't seeing any of my neighbor's wifi networks showing up on my iphone 5 either. My wife's 4s was showing like 6 or 7 of the neighbors networks.

I went and got a replacement today and now I can use my wifi 75+ feet away from my router and the speed is fine.

My issue was definitely hardware because one of the things I tried was disabling all security and it didn't make any difference.

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
So, it clearly only affects some iPhones.

Is that so hard to understand?

Mine's not here, yet (Sept 28th, it says). Fingers crossed.

mchaseman

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
Is there a difference in setting up your phone as a new phone as opposed to a restore? Which is better?

Sorry in advance if this question has already been asked but I couldn't find in on the search.

Thanks,

Marc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.