Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your iPhone 5 screen click down

• Rock Solid

Votes: 184 65.2%
  • Top Right corner

Votes: 28 9.9%
  • Top Left corner

Votes: 25 8.9%
  • Bottom Right corner

Votes: 24 8.5%
  • Bottom Left corner

Votes: 35 12.4%

• Total voters

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
When I pinch the bottom right corner of my iPhone 5, the screen ‘clicks/creaks’ down a bit making a clicking noise.

My friends iPhone 5 don’t seem to have this issue.

I understand it’s hardly a huge problem, but I plan on keeping this phone for a couple of years so I don’t want this to be an issue that gets worse over time.

Does anybody else have this problem with their phone?

Or better yet, if you have this problem have you took it to an Apple store?

There are a couple of topics around on different forums that describe the same issue, so it would be interesting to hear.

As a disclaimer, this is not a problem I have gone looking for, it makes the clicking noise almost every time I hit the home button. I can hear and feel the screen clicking down slightly, which is a bit annoying.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Damn, only me?

Might have to visit an Apple store this week then, see what they say.

It just seems so minor, but hopefully they can either replace it, or tighten something behind the screen.

We shall see!

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
i have the same exact symptom....but have been arguing with myself whether its worth disputing? not a big deal to me but the principle of it makes me question it.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
i have the same exact symptom....but have been arguing with myself whether its worth disputing? not a big deal to me but the principle of it makes me question it.

Glad to see i'm not alone.

I won't be able to get to an Apple store till Thursday, but if I have any luck i'll let you know.

I'm the same as you in that I don't think it's a massive problem, but knowing it's there is a bit annoying.

I'm not going to the Store and demanding a new handset, but I'm going to bring it up and ask if they can maybe tighten something up or have a look at it.

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
I have the exact same thing, bottom left corner. Not sure whether I want to try to do anything about it or not. It just makes the phone feel kinda cheap, but doesn't otherwise affect it.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
My feelings too. It just makes the thing feel less solid in the hand.

I'm hoping the genius I see on Thursday knows what the issue is and tightens something to fix it!

atompell

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
i got the same issues except mine is on the top left, im particularly not very happy about it. I even noticed a gash on the side of the frame on the same corner. And no, i HAVENT dropped my phone. I was like this after i purchased it right out of the box, im just hoping i can return it for a new one... :mad::apple:

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Judging by this thread, and the other threads on other forums it seems like quite a common issue.

I'll update on Thursday after I've visited the Apple Store.

If anybody else visits before then let me know how you get on!

It may be as simple as tightening those two screws at the bottom?

jwhiterz

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2012
Wales, UK
I also have this problem. the reason it does this is because on iphone 5 to get inside you undo the screws on the bottom and the screen comes out first. Attached to the front panel. So its most likely because it's not properly fixed so they can take it out. Wouldn't say it was a bit problem.

----------

tell me what happens when you take it to the apple store. interested to know.

Jesse253

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Mine clicks in the middle and down the right side, it's infuriating. Reminds me of the Blackberry Storm. I have my doubts on Apple's ability to tighten it up without replacing the screen. Guess we'll find out tonight.
My phone took a short fall (about 18") onto its side, and that's the side it clicks on. I'm not sure if it's from the fall or I just wasn't pressing hard on the screen before the fall.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Mine clicks in the middle and down the right side, it's infuriating. Reminds me of the Blackberry Storm. I have my doubts on Apple's ability to tighten it up without replacing the screen. Guess we'll find out tonight.
My phone took a short fall (about 18") onto its side, and that's the side it clicks on. I'm not sure if it's from the fall or I just wasn't pressing hard on the screen before the fall.

You going to the apple store today?

Let us know how you get on :)

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
I've found that squeezing the corner together tightly for a couple of minutes seems to sort it out... For a while anyway.

Tempted to leave my phone under a heavy book over night... But that is a rather worrying thought!

Wonder if its glue that didn't dry correctly, or a fitting that's lose?

rubined

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Returned to Apple

My Phone was doing the same thing in the left corner. Took it back to apple today and got a replacement.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Now that i've noticed it I find myself just pressing and clicking the corner as a habit when i'm holding the phone.

Makes the phone feel loosely put together.

The noise made and distance the screen moves varies greatly, and I can't seem to put a pattern to it, so when I get to the Genius Bar I might not be able to recreate it, which worries me.

Anybody been to the store and had any luck with getting it fixed?

Jesse253

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Intermittent

So when I took mine to the Apple store, I couldn't recreate the problem (which was really frustrating). It has come back since then (last night), but it's not as bad as it was. When I apply pressure to the screen for a while (like leaving a book on top of it), it goes away for a time.
I played with all of the iphones on display, and none of them clicked. However, there was some screen "play" on the sides of some. I'm sure if it clicks (at the time of visit), they would replace it. But you'd have to go somewhere other than the store to hear it, it's way too loud in an Apple store to hear a tiny little click.
They did allow me to put Applecare+ on my phone, so now if the clicking sticks around, or gets any worse, I'm taking it back in (remember, my phone has been dropped).
It's frustrating though, I DO use my phone differently in anticipation of a "click." What's worse? I have owned a Blackberry storm in the past, and it gives me horrible flashbacks.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
So when I took mine to the Apple store, I couldn't recreate the problem (which was really frustrating). It has come back since then (last night), but it's not as bad as it was. When I apply pressure to the screen for a while (like leaving a book on top of it), it goes away for a time.
I played with all of the iphones on display, and none of them clicked. However, there was some screen "play" on the sides of some. I'm sure if it clicks (at the time of visit), they would replace it. But you'd have to go somewhere other than the store to hear it, it's way too loud in an Apple store to hear a tiny little click.
They did allow me to put Applecare+ on my phone, so now if the clicking sticks around, or gets any worse, I'm taking it back in (remember, my phone has been dropped).
It's frustrating though, I DO use my phone differently in anticipation of a "click." What's worse? I have owned a Blackberry storm in the past, and it gives me horrible flashbacks.

I fear this will probably happen to me on Thursday.

Sorry to hear they didn't replace your device. It sounds like it has become a habit to click it now like it has for me!

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
A solution to the problem would be to not press down to make the click happen, and you'll never notice the issue.....lord know what you're even pushing down the glass corners anyway....

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine
Yup, me too. Bottom left corner. Damn you for making me notice! ;)

I'm not going to sweat it...just something new to fidget with.

casjohnr

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
Mine sort of starts where the SIM tray is and goes up from there. You can actually see the glass 'bounce' too if you look closely enough.

Even just with normal tapping while playing a game it would occur, so back it goes!

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Anybody found that the clicking has become less common over time?

Mine now only does it a few times a day rather than all the time.

Wonder if some glue has dried, or by squeezing it often I've just fixed it?

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Anybody found that the clicking has become less common over time?

Mine now only does it a few times a day rather than all the time.

Wonder if some glue has dried, or by squeezing it often I've just fixed it?

if anything pushing it down is temporarily adhering it...keyword temporarily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.