Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced opening weekend sales of the iPhone 5 topped five million units, exceeding the four million iPhone 4S units sold during that device's debut weekend last year. The number follows the company's earlier announcement that it had taken over two million pre-orders for the device in the first 24 hours of availability. Apple also announced today that over 100 million devices have been upgraded to iOS 6.
"Demand for iPhone 5 has been incredible and we are working hard to get an iPhone 5 into the hands of every customer who wants one as quickly as possible," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "While we have sold out of our initial supply, stores continue to receive iPhone 5 shipments regularly and customers can continue to order online and receive an estimated delivery date. We appreciate everyone's patience and are working hard to build enough iPhone 5s for everyone."
iPhone_5_34Hi_Stagger_FrontBack_Black_PRINT-500x508.png

Apple's five million iPhone 5 unit sales seem to fall short of many analysts' expectations. Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster last week predicted sales of eight million units based Apple's announced pre-order number, calling six million units the worst-case scenario for the company.

The iPhone 5 launched in nine countries last Friday, and will be debuting in 22 more countries this Friday, September 29.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Sales Top Five Million in Launch Weekend

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wow, that's awesome.

I know I was part of the 5 million since I bought mine this weekend

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Makes sense considering it sold a million more preorders than the 4S. Great job, Apple!

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
but but but... what about the lackluster screen size? What about the same form factor as the 4 and 4s? What about the lack of NFC technology? but but but... what the heck you guys! you weren't supposed to buy this thing, remember!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Ah so this is why their stock is down over 2% pre-market as analysts had wild predictions of 8-10 million sales. Being that every store (Apple and carriers) I went to yesterday was sold out I wonder if it was a case of not being able to build them fast enough?

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
Cool, but interesting how it might still be less than analysts expectations (do analysts ever have accurate expectations?). It would be interesting tel see the number of Android phone sales to put this in perspective.

As a developer, I noticed a bump in sales during the launch weekend which is always a good sign.

herbapou

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2011
Major miss for the stock. But it looks like its more of a supply problem than a sale problem. There will be a chance to get into the stock because I expect a 100$ drop over the next few weeks.

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
I need to become an analyst. I would be super good at randomly making up numbers.

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
I think it depends on the numbers too. Is this 5 million just from Apple and not through the carriers? If ATT sold a million is that included in this number? Would be nice for some context on the numbers a bit. Either way it's incredibly impressive

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Any chance this could mean 5 million plus however many preorders. It possible that this meant 5 million sold in stores. Then the number would be closer to 8 million

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

Clearly it is a supply issue if estimates for shipping are over 3 weeks. The 4s was easier to build in quantity because they already had everything in production except for minor changes

iSengKin

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2012
i would like to see those fandroids here right now... because i wan to shout at their faces "WHO SAID APPLE WAS FOREVER DOOMED?!" :D

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Major miss for the stock. But it looks like its more of a supply problem than a sale problem. There will be a chance to get into the stock because I expect a 100$ drop over the next few weeks.
Every place I went to this weekend were sold out and said they wouldn't have new stock until probably the 19th. My guess is they sold as many as they could build and they're building them as fast as they can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.