Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:38 PM   #26
Beezzy
macrumors 6502

FCC is awesome for this one!
Beezzy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:46 PM   #27
CorporateFelon
macrumors regular

A somewhat related question.

When purchasing an unsubsidized full price unlocked phone from from apple it says that it will only work on a gsm network. Is there a technical reason for that? Or is it just Verizon and Sprint saying, only phones sold through us can work with out networks?
CorporateFelon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:48 PM   #28
baweathe
macrumors newbie

Verizon iPhone 5 at AT&T simultaneous?

Can I use my Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T simultaneously? We live in a dead spot for Verizon coverage, but we have LTE coverage everywhere else. AT&T tower is a mile away. Could I use AT&T's network on my iPhone 5 when I'm at home, and use Verizon's LTE network everywhere else?
baweathe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:56 PM   #29
Wheelie4
macrumors regular

I've NEVER owned or used a cell/mobile phone. So this cell phone usage and service plans is all new to me. I was considering getting an iPhone 5 to use basically for phone service and specifically for emergencies. Since I'm bedridden I can always use my Wi-Fi network here at home to access the internet so a data plan nor LTE is as important to me as for everyone else. So does this mean if I get a Verizon iPhone 5 I could probably use it with Straight Talk whenever they come out with the nano sim cards to allow me to save money on the cost of a service plan?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:00 PM   #30
shanmugam
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by baweathe View Post
Can I use my Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T simultaneously? We live in a dead spot for Verizon coverage, but we have LTE coverage everywhere else. AT&T tower is a mile away. Could I use AT&T's network on my iPhone 5 when I'm at home, and use Verizon's LTE network everywhere else?
I think you will need SIM card to access Verizon's LTE
shanmugam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:09 PM   #31
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixtafoua View Post
Bottom line: AT&T still sucks.
which is why i found a sucker who was willing to trade my grandfathered unlimited data plan (throttles) for their verizon grandfathered unlimited data plan (doesnt throttle )

so glad to be on verizon now wahooo

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post
I think you will need SIM card to access Verizon's LTE
you are correct.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelie4 View Post
I've NEVER owned or used a cell/mobile phone. So this cell phone usage and service plans is all new to me. I was considering getting an iPhone 5 to use basically for phone service and specifically for emergencies. Since I'm bedridden I can always use my Wi-Fi network here at home to access the internet so a data plan nor LTE is as important to me as for everyone else. So does this mean if I get a Verizon iPhone 5 I could probably use it with Straight Talk whenever they come out with the nano sim cards to allow me to save money on the cost of a service plan?
yes. you can use straight talk on a verizon iphone. if you arent wanting an iphone for data why not just buy a cheap none smartphone?
if its the apps you want. buy an ipad/itouch.
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:12 PM   #32
Boutrosn
macrumors newbie

Does this mean you can buy the iphone 5 at 199$ with a two year contract but use a different carier (example in the middle east; GSM network) ?
Boutrosn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:13 PM   #33
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boutrosn View Post
Does this mean you can buy the iphone 5 at 199$ with a two year contract but use a different carier (example in the middle east; GSM network) ?
Yes
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:18 PM   #34
Wheelie4
macrumors regular

BFizzle:

Quote:
yes. you can use straight talk on a verizon iphone. if you arent wanting an iphone for data why not just buy a cheap none smartphone?
if its the apps you want. buy an ipad/itouch.
Well, I will use it for data but I'll always have Wi-Fi from my wireless router plus it will also double as a remote for my tv and cable box when I'm lying down. Can't use both by my shoulder. I work using a mouth stick. I have no use of my hands or arms. The iPhone is the only smartphone with the accessibility feature set (assistive touch) that allows me to fully operate it.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:20 PM   #35
joeblough
macrumors member

i'm very glad to see that this vzw iphone sim unlock has teeth.

but i wonder why verizon would have an incentive to lock the sim slot. is it because they would otherwise want to force you to pay their exoribitant roaming rates when you go overseas?

because... as an original iphone launch customer, the fact that the vzw iphone5 sim slot is unlocked is what's going to make me switch to verizon. now i know i can use my phone overseas with a prepaid sim card. that was the last thing that was keeping me from switching to vzw (my ATT iphones are all out of contract and they are unlocked... so i would not want to lose that)

i think this is going to cause lots more people to switch to verizon, so it just seems like it's in their favor to unlock the sim slot.
joeblough is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:45 PM   #36
posies2323
macrumors newbie

Unlocked Verizon iPhone 5 and T-Mobile ?

never mind

Last edited by posies2323; Sep 24, 2012 at 07:05 PM. Reason: wrong info - sorry
posies2323 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:01 PM   #37
KPOM
macrumors G3

It's good to see this confirmed. I wonder why the FCC didn't place the same restrictions on the 700B Band? Weren't both bands freed up from the analog TV transition a few years ago?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateFelon View Post
A somewhat related question.

When purchasing an unsubsidized full price unlocked phone from from apple it says that it will only work on a gsm network. Is there a technical reason for that? Or is it just Verizon and Sprint saying, only phones sold through us can work with out networks?
CDMA doesn't use SIM cards, so carriers register phones individually by IMEI and thus can restrict their networks to phones that they sell.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:04 PM   #38
Junkyman
macrumors regular

This is just awesome news!

Buying an unsubsidized iPhone 5 Verizon at Retail price in an Apple Store - here I come!
Junkyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:15 PM   #39
avanpelt
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by baweathe View Post
From everything I've read, the Verizon iPhone 5 comes with a Verizon nano-SIM installed which is what enables access to Verizon's LTE network. If you pop that out and put in an AT&T nano-SIM, the phone will connect to the fastest non-LTE network AT&T has available in your neighborhood. You should then be able to put the Verizon SIM back in when you want to hop back on the Verizon LTE network.

At least that's my understanding of how it works.
avanpelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:37 PM   #40
tbrinkma
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlboroLite View Post
Hmm...why didn't the FCC force the other carriers to do the same thing when they purchased their LTE spectra? Is there something special about this 700Mhz band that Verizon acquired? Don't get me wrong, I think this pro-consumer regulation (for a change!) is downright fabulous--but ALL carriers should be forced to do the same thing.

And also--does that mean that all the other LTE handsets with GSM capabilities are also unlocked by Verizon? Or is the iPhone the only LTE smartphone that includes GSM radios in addition to the CDMA+LTE bands in the case of Verizon?
The other blocks weren't part of the same auction. The 'C' block was a special auction, and Google (as one of the bidders) convinced the FCC to add special conditions to the use of the block regardless of the winner. Not locking devices was one of those conditions.

IOW, we have Google to thank for this. Unfortunately, since the 'C' block was (IIRC) the most recent block to go up for auction, it's the *only* one that carries these constraints. Hopefully more future blocks will have similar conditions.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:05 PM   #41
felixm
macrumors newbie

Can I get the Verizon's LTE service by using Verizon's LTE nano sim card with the Model A1429 GSM, which is purchased from Asia?

felixm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:05 PM   #42
upnorth85
macrumors regular

And how does T-mobile get a subsidy by this? It is building a network that individual buyers of full price iPhone 5 can use on their network. Incidentally if you see the financial reports, the average price of phone paid by cell phone companies is closer to the minimum memory phone, indicating that Whole sale rate to AT&T and Verizon is less than what T-mobile customers will pay while buying unlocked version of the phone directly from Apple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by posies2323 View Post
According Apple's tech specs, all iPhone 5's will support the 1900 MHz band that T-Mobile is rolling out. It seems like this unlocked Verizon iPhone will end up with Verizon or Apple subsidizing T-Mobile users.
upnorth85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:13 PM   #43
nickgwyn
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roessnakhan View Post
Yes
1) Could I buy a subsidized Verizon iPhone 5, then just use my existing AT&T SIM without ever starting a VZW contract? Is a contract required to activate the phone?

2) When Sprint unlocks the phone for international GSM use (after 60 days), how can they stop you from using it in the USA with a GSM carrier?
nickgwyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:02 PM   #44
avanpelt
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgwyn View Post
1) Could I buy a subsidized Verizon iPhone 5, then just use my existing AT&T SIM without ever starting a VZW contract? Is a contract required to activate the phone?
No, you cannot buy a subsidized phone from any carrier without signing a contract. The carriers give you the subsidized price because you're locked into paying for their service for a period of time. You'll be required to pay an early termination fee if you choose to break the contract early.
avanpelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:16 PM   #45
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
It's good to see this confirmed. I wonder why the FCC didn't place the same restrictions on the 700B Band? Weren't both bands freed up from the analog TV transition a few years ago?

----------

CDMA doesn't use SIM cards, so carriers register phones individually by IMEI and thus can restrict their networks to phones that they sell.
Don't talk about what you don't know about. Verizon and Sprint LTE devices use the SIM card, even for CDMA. Ever heard of a C-SIM before? Take out the SIM and let me know how well your Verizon iPhone 5 works. It'll be as useful as an iPod touch. However even with SIM cards, you can still only swap the SIM between other Verizon phones as its still good old restrictive CDMA.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:19 PM   #46
eastercat
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateFelon View Post
Even if the at&t model had a cdma chip, verizon and sprint would never accept it. Looking at the at&t version, it doesn't seem to list the cdma specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgwyn View Post
If you want the phone to work, you have to start a contract on a subsidized phone. Buy the contract free version.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:19 PM   #47
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanpelt View Post
From everything I've read, the Verizon iPhone 5 comes with a Verizon nano-SIM installed which is what enables access to Verizon's LTE network. If you pop that out and put in an AT&T nano-SIM, the phone will connect to the fastest non-LTE network AT&T has available in your neighborhood. You should then be able to put the Verizon SIM back in when you want to hop back on the Verizon LTE network.

At least that's my understanding of how it works.
Correct. The SIM will also tell the CDMA portion to "activate" or not. So removing the SIM will also deny you CDMA network access.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:27 PM   #48
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontwalkhand View Post
Don't talk about what you don't know about. Verizon and Sprint LTE devices use the SIM card, even for CDMA. Ever heard of a C-SIM before? Take out the SIM and let me know how well your Verizon iPhone 5 works. It'll be as useful as an iPod touch. However even with SIM cards, you can still only swap the SIM between other Verizon phones as its still good old restrictive CDMA.
I believe that's the case on the Verizon model now. However, SIM cards are not built into the CDMA standard the way they are with the GSM standard. Therefore, phones must be individually registered with a CDMA network. Plug a Verizon U-SIM into a Sprint phone and let me know how well it works. By contrast, the GSM network is registered to the SIM not the IMEI of the phone, so plugging in a SIM into an unlocked GSM phone will work provided it operates on the frequencies supported by the tower.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:37 PM   #49
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
I believe that's the case on the Verizon model now. However, SIM cards are not built into the CDMA standard the way they are with the GSM standard. Therefore, phones must be individually registered with a CDMA network. Plug a Verizon U-SIM into a Sprint phone and let me know how well it works. By contrast, the GSM network is registered to the SIM not the IMEI of the phone, so plugging in a SIM into an unlocked GSM phone will work provided it operates on the frequencies supported by the tower.
Verizon's and Sprint's SIM CARD solution isn't all too custom however for CDMA. C-SIMs was used an Asia for many years on CDMA. It was formerly known as a RUIM card.

The only reason why Sprint and Verizon would reject each others cards now is mainly due to carrier greed and databases not allowing the MEID not sold by Verizon on to Verizon
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:55 PM   #50
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontwalkhand View Post
Verizon's and Sprint's SIM CARD solution isn't all too custom however for CDMA. C-SIMs was used an Asia for many years on CDMA. It was formerly known as a RUIM card.

The only reason why Sprint and Verizon would reject each others cards now is mainly due to carrier greed and databases not allowing the MEID not sold by Verizon on to Verizon
But my main point is that SIM/RUIM cards are not required by the CDMA standard, which gives CDMA carriers a lot greater ability to restrict particular phones from their networks.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion