Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:01 AM   #26
macFabri
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to macFabri
Solution for you Apple

Simple. Buy Google.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:02 AM   #27
Scrumper
macrumors member

As an iPod Touch 4 user, I can tell you that the maps fiasco is just one of several problems with iOS6. Slow wifi, slow system, crashing apps all over the place. The App store, for instance, has never once managed to stay open long enough to find anything! Okay, the 'Touch' only has an A4 chip but it's supposed to be compatible, so that's what I was expecting.

As long as Google do not have a maps app for iOS6, there is time for more and more disgruntled people to voice their dissatisfaction with Apple's sub-par efforts and consider making the move away from Apple altogether. If I were Google, I wouldn't be in any hurry either; just sit back with a fat cigar and smile.
Scrumper is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:03 AM   #28
kirky29
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to kirky29 Send a message via Skype™ to kirky29
I wish Apple & Google got along again.
kirky29 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:04 AM   #29
Stormybot
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerineyum View Post
I'm interested to know how apple maps is not usable to anyone. I deliver pizza for a living. and I use apple maps. No, i dont use turn by turn. All i need is the general area for my delivery and im off. And Apple maps seems to do that well enough.
I live near Redondo Beach in California and I am constantly seeing businesses marked at the incorrect location in Apple Maps. And not just a block away or something, but 6 or 7 blocks away if not more. I try to report them when I can, but that gets tiresome after a while.
Stormybot is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:05 AM   #30
Macist
macrumors 6502a

Oh hell. So iOS6 users could be without mapping for months?

What a joke Apple is becoming. Still, I hope this blows up in their face bigtime. They need a 'shock to the system' to get back to basics - like freakin' Macs for example.
Macist is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:09 AM   #31
jrawl004
macrumors newbie

lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieTDouglas View Post
Hopefully they will release one. I haven't updated to IOS 6 specifically because of Apple Maps. If Google launches, I'll update.
Maps App is your reason for not updating to the latest software version....or is it the negative feedback from everyone worried about the satellite images that are out of whack. The app works! It just needs more data to make it better and when that data comes in, this will be the best mapping system.
jrawl004 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:10 AM   #32
realeric
macrumors 6502a

I would never give my personal location data to Google. They will sell it to advertisers.
realeric is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:10 AM   #33
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

"In iOS6, we said **** Google Maps"
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:10 AM   #34
andyjam
macrumors regular

I'm MORE than happy to pay Google for a Google Maps app. Nothing too exorbitant - $1.99 or $2.99 feels about right...
andyjam is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:13 AM   #35
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by intothepolis View Post
Didn't Steve Jobs say he would "go to thermonuclear war" with google?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1023111.html
IIRC it was specific to Android. Either way it failed.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by macFabri View Post
Simple. Buy Google.
The competition commission would have fun with that one!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjam View Post
I'm MORE than happy to pay Google for a Google Maps app. Nothing too exorbitant - $1.99 or $2.99 feels about right...
They wont charge for it - never have done on any other platform and wont start now. I doubt it'll even have adverts in it, however if it does it'll be one of the AdMob ones (Same size as the iAd adverts).
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:13 AM   #36
jrawl004
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerineyum View Post
I'm interested to know how apple maps is not usable to anyone. I deliver pizza for a living. and I use apple maps. No, i dont use turn by turn. All i need is the general area for my delivery and im off. And Apple maps seems to do that well enough.
I agree with you! I used turn by turn and everything work great to me as well...sometime i think ppl tend to make a fuss about things without actually thinking. Who knows what happened behind closed doors for Apple to make this big change. A lot of these complainers need to put the shoe on the other foot. I would cut ties as well!
jrawl004 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:13 AM   #37
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
"In iOS6, we said **** Google Maps"
"At which point, 10 million iPhone owner wept"
rmwebs is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:16 AM   #38
frankk
macrumors newbie

Google maps the answer?

I am optimistic that Apple will solve this issue and we'll end up with decent functionality. In the meantime, it makes no sense for me to upgrade to iO6 or purchase iPhone 5. Maps is a key feature for me and one of my most used Aps.

A Google Maps Ap download is a poor alternative if it is not default map application on the phone. Every time I select a contact or select an address, the default pathway will take me to the Apple Ap.
frankk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:17 AM   #39
jrawl004
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumper View Post
As an iPod Touch 4 user, I can tell you that the maps fiasco is just one of several problems with iOS6. Slow wifi, slow system, crashing apps all over the place. The App store, for instance, has never once managed to stay open long enough to find anything! Okay, the 'Touch' only has an A4 chip but it's supposed to be compatible, so that's what I was expecting.

As long as Google do not have a maps app for iOS6, there is time for more and more disgruntled people to voice their dissatisfaction with Apple's sub-par efforts and consider making the move away from Apple altogether. If I were Google, I wouldn't be in any hurry either; just sit back with a fat cigar and smile.
a lot of people are with apple because of the ENTIRE ecosystem. Go ahead and move and see how fragmented things become. I trust with time things will get better with all the issues you stated. You go build a company and expect to always be 100% accurate with everything you set out to do. No one is perfect but with customer feedback you can come close to it!
jrawl004 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:17 AM   #40
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrawl004 View Post
Maps App is your reason for not updating to the latest software version....or is it the negative feedback from everyone worried about the satellite images that are out of whack. The app works! It just needs more data to make it better and when that data comes in, this will be the best mapping system.
In some parts of the UK the mapping data is abysmal. I've updated to iOS 6 on my iPad but I'm keeping my iPhone on iOS 5 until we see a big improvement.

I've reported dozens of missing towns and incorrect labels to Apple, it'll be interesting to see how fast they react and correct the data.

Last edited by OllyW; Sep 25, 2012 at 03:26 AM.
OllyW is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:18 AM   #41
daviesap
macrumors newbie

Apple are beginning to look really stupid over this.

Their maps are embarassingly bad - if they were on an Android phone they would be a laughing stock.

Really - Duncaster?

It reeks of arrogance
daviesap is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:18 AM   #42
jrawl004
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by realeric View Post
I would never give my personal location data to Google. They will sell it to advertisers.
sure will and for apple thats a security issue!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:19 AM   #43
Che Castro
macrumors 601

Most of you on here that are complaining about apple maps have not even tried it yet
Che Castro is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:19 AM   #44
jrawl004
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjam View Post
and they will turn around and make more money off of you by selling your data
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:20 AM   #45
jimbo1mcm
macrumors 65816

Attention Google:

Over 100 million downloads of IOS 6. Charge $2.99 for the app. Get at least half of the people, maybe more. Mucho Dinero.
jimbo1mcm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:27 AM   #46
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by realeric View Post
Google (or Apple) don't sell personal information
Oletros is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:28 AM   #47
Erwin-Br
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
Most of you on here that are complaining about apple maps have not even tried it yet
That's a bold statement to make. Got evidence to back that up?

Meanwhile, lots of screenshots posted on the web about errors in iOS Maps that make you laugh. (Or cry.)
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:28 AM   #48
jrawl004
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
In some parts of the UK the mapping data is abysmal. I've updated to iOS 6 on my iPad but I'm keeping my iPhone on iOS 5 until we see a big improvement.

I've reported dozens of missing towns and incorrect labels to Apple, it'll be interesting to see how fast they react and correct the data.
Yeah Im helping the cause to....I believe in what the AAPL provides. I think people are over reacting this maps thing. Google evidently tried to call AAPL's bluff on the maps thing and tried to charge more to use their data but AAPL decided to just release what they currently have instead of bowing down to Google. I don't blame them.
jrawl004 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:30 AM   #49
nixdas
macrumors newbie

We all know that Steve Jobs was still around, that he wouldnt have released Apple Maps with iOS6. They timed the development badly. They knew when their license would be up with Google so they should have pushed to get this app polished before then. Google might not even release maps for iOS now as this could be a way to draw more people towards Android. Remember though.. you can still use google map on Google Chrome or Safari on iOS.
nixdas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:30 AM   #50
iSamurai
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrawl004 View Post
I agree with you! I used turn by turn and everything work great to me as well...sometime i think ppl tend to make a fuss about things without actually thinking. Who knows what happened behind closed doors for Apple to make this big change. A lot of these complainers need to put the shoe on the other foot. I would cut ties as well!
one of the reasons the maps app that remained largely unchanged was just like the youtube app. it's apple that didn't update, not google. see google maps on android.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion