Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
I have a small black hole (0,1 mm) on the back.. Damn! :D

But I can't see how people can get it replaced for that small thing, its hilarious :D

I wanna give one hard long finger to you guys who replace their devices for the smallest dent.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Why take a white box replacement it's less than 14 days get a new one out of the box!!!

At this point in time, the white box replacements will be totally new, so it doesn't make a huge difference, especially as the carriers are short on stock for replacements. I wouldn't suggest that in a couple of weeks time though, when the refurbished models start making their way into stores.

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008
Looks like I'll end up buying mine while I'm away on business next week since there isn't an iPhone 5 within 10 miles of me where I live. Ill be in NY and i'm pretty sure the big Manhattan store will have them in stock next week. I'll be traveling for the next 2 1/2 weeks though. How long again do I have to inspect it and get it back to apple in case I discover flaws? 30 days? Should I call AppleCare and make them aware of it right away or do I just need to go into my apple store here at home and swap it out within that time period when I get home?

Bradllez

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2012
Orlando
You guys think I should take mine back?

72658182.jpg

Els55

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
What do you guys think about this 'gap' between the aluminium casing and the glass from the iPhone on top? Normal or should it be more precise against each other?

2qi9qmt.jpg

sup007

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2007
Went to apple store today, and they happily grant me a replacement. Only problem is the replacement have more cometic problem than the one i have, so i didn't take it. O boy, apple is really having QC issue with these iphones.

sparky12

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2012
What do you guys think about this 'gap' between the aluminium casing and the glass from the iPhone on top? Normal or should it be more precise against each other?

I have a little bit of a gap as well. Not sure how its suppose to be either.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Pleased to say mine is spot on. No nicks, no gaps, no dents, nothing.
Well chuffed!

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Mine (white) was delivered to my office while I was in Japan. Flew back today, opened the box, and after reading all the complaints this past week, went over the entire device with a 20X loupe.

Not a mark on it.

It's now in a case I picked up in Japan. I can see my prediction of easy marring is certainly spot on, the edges appear extremely delicate. No doubt in my mind that black will be a disaster for many people.

Stainless steel, while heavier, would have been a lot better- but prohibitively expensive in the unibody design.

Screen is gorgeous. Device mass is slightly disconcerting- when in my pocket I can't tell it's really there.

But far, far more delicate than the 4 series.

KittiFatale

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
I bought a white 64gb iPhone and it's absolutely flaw-free. Perhaps mine was from a good batch? Maybe Apple noticed it and fixed the imperfections. I just bought it this Friday.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY

Seriously?? Stop being so damn picky, it will get to a point where your brain will make things up Becuase your looking for something wrong.

Els55

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
Seriously?? Stop being so damn picky, it will get to a point where your brain will make things up Becuase your looking for something wrong.

I'm making things up? How about this note I can easily stick into it?
dmsf1w.jpg

AdrainSingapore

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012
IMO your iphone is going to get scratches and scuffs through everyday sooner or later, not going to exchange mine cause I can cover it with a case and the scratches aren't that major

dk206

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2012
London
What really worries me is that the replacement iPhones in White boxes are in perfect condition....which possibly could mean that Apple wanted to sell off all the non imperfect models first on launch day/week/month and have the replacements ready for those like us who do actually care and have the time to visit store/reorder etc which will be around 1-5%..

Never seen anyone openening more than one White box due to scratches looking for a replacement. My 32gb black model should be coming on Thursday...

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK

Knowing how close you had to get with the camera to take that pic, I can only assume you are mental :(

Just kidding, but seriously if you are getting OCD about a microscopic gap between two materials then you really need to get off these forums, they are getting to you lol

St8kout

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
Funny how normally everyone buys cases and screen protectors for their new iphone, ipad, iwhatever. Now we have threads on how it gets scratched without a case. I could probably scratch up my iphone 4 and ipad 3 if I took their cases off, but why would I?

A case is more than just scratch protection. It also protects against the inevitable drops and bumps. So are you also going to whine when the phone slips out of your hand or gets knocked off a table and gets a dent? Is that going to be Apple's fault too?

Just sayin....

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Does Apple keep a different stock of iphones for replacements? It seems a lot of people are getting replacement phones np, but everywhere I check is sold out.

I just bought two new white 32 gb iphones from best buy, and both came with defects. one with a dent in the apple logo (very small, but still annoying since that part is reflective); another with a scuff on the backplate to the left that has a bubble going beneath the surface finish and down to the aluminum. Very minor stuff.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
I got mine the 28th. White 32.

The thing is, I found 2 dents.

1 small hole , 0,1 mm - then i found a small black line just under the home button.

Will post pics later today.

Does this affect the resale value? Or do you need pics to confirm if it does or doesnt?

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Funny how normally everyone buys cases and screen protectors for their new iphone, ipad, iwhatever. Now we have threads on how it gets scratched without a case. I could probably scratch up my iphone 4 and ipad 3 if I took their cases off, but why would I?

A case is more than just scratch protection. It also protects against the inevitable drops and bumps. So are you also going to whine when the phone slips out of your hand or gets knocked off a table and gets a dent? Is that going to be Apple's fault too?

Just sayin....

your point is wrong, new is new, my iphone 4S don't have any knocks or scratches after almost a year nor my MBP mid 2010
if Apple can't control the final product before it's leave the factory it a problem,
they should give the customer 2 options
1- people like you that don't care will get a small refound,
2- people like me a replacment

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I had a flawless 16GB White from the Apple store.

I just picked up two from Best Buy Mobile and both had some damage:

See the pics. Do you guys think the Apple shipments are higher quality?

The damage on one is the chip/dent in the Apple logo. Small, but annoying because it reflects light.

The other one I can't capture on my camera well. It is a scuff and the aluminum underneath the finish shows.

I don't know why, but the overall build quality of the 16GB I have just seems nicer.

Also, there were fingerprints on the plastic screen protector from a brand new phone. I just opened the box, didn't touch the phone, and noticed fingerprints. Is it from the factory or did they repackage these phones?

Attachments

• IMG_20121001_025208.jpg
    IMG_20121001_025208.jpg
    960 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_20121001_025215.jpg
    IMG_20121001_025215.jpg
    881.2 KB · Views: 253
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.