Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vinny1967

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
Bought white 64GB model in Cambridge on Saturday.
Took it to Starbucks to have a play, and when I took the protective cover from the back there was a large gouge on the metal near the Apple logo and a chip at the top right of the glass.
Returned to the store at once and they had the cheek to tell me I needed a genius bar appointment and none was available for another 6 hours. Next earliest appointment was Tuesday.
After some loud complaining I was issued a replacement, and I decided to check it in-store.
Underneath the protective cover on the rear were 2 huge specks, causing the bubble effect on the plastic.
Luckily when the cover was removed the specks wiped off leaving no marks. The rest of the phone was flawless.
Apple really do seem to be having quality control issues.

vong

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
This is what I've got:

(Near the power button, the corner)
20121003_153519.jpeg

(Sim card spot)
20121003_153505.jpeg

Sorry for the first horrible picture.

My 2 year old MBP holds up better than my iPhone 5.

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Funny how normally everyone buys cases and screen protectors for their new iphone, ipad, iwhatever. Now we have threads on how it gets scratched without a case. I could probably scratch up my iphone 4 and ipad 3 if I took their cases off, but why would I?

A case is more than just scratch protection. It also protects against the inevitable drops and bumps. So are you also going to whine when the phone slips out of your hand or gets knocked off a table and gets a dent? Is that going to be Apple's fault too?

Just sayin....

Just sayin, I use my 4S caseless and is still in like new condition after nearly a year.

What were you just sayin?

I am Andy

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
White 64GB

I've received mine today from Deutsche Telekom.
There was one small scratch on the rear.
I've already boxed it and will return it tomorrow.

I've noticed that many things are going wrong with Apple nowadays.
Many bugs in their software. Issues with services. And now hardware.

Wondering what's going wrong there.
'Just works' was yesterday.

Hey! And I'm a huge Apple fanboy!

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
What really worries me is that the replacement iPhones in White boxes are in perfect condition....which possibly could mean that Apple wanted to sell off all the non imperfect models first on launch day/week/month and have the replacements ready for those like us who do actually care and have the time to visit store/reorder etc which will be around 1-5%..

Never seen anyone openening more than one White box due to scratches looking for a replacement. My 32gb black model should be coming on Thursday...

HAHAHAHAHA. best post ever!!!

Seriously? My first white box had a huge dent by the charging port. You're crazy if you think they sell imperfect ones on purpose. And those that actually care? Don't you think the early adopters care? Oh no, sorry, we waited in line for an iPhone with a dent.

Notyobish

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
I got 2 16g white iPhone 5's , both look perfect and flawless. After reading the thread I looked at both closely , and didn't find one flaw.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
My Black 5 is perfect without any scratches or scuffs. The white one has a VERY small scuff on the lower bezel that doesn't concern me.

Some of these really are bad...most are not...and if you are returning it over the very smallest pinhole of a scratch, you are the reason this phone is impossible to get!

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I'm making things up? How about this note I can easily stick into it?

I can do the same thing at least with a normal piece of paper. But I can't see it. Even if I look at really freakin close. It's not an issue. If you think dirt will get in just take some compressed air to it every once in a while. Problem solved.

Steveh2780

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Uk
Little tip I found works really well for getting rid of any scratches/imperfection on the shiny edge of the bezel on the white iphone 5.
- Buy some T-Cut metal polish/restorer ( comes in a plastic tube similar to toothpaste)
-Apply a small amount to shiny edge of iphone and buff with a lint free cloth for 30 seconds.
-Then wipe clean.

This has removed 100% of any scratches/imperfections on the shiny bezel edge of my white iphone 5 it looks immaculate now.
- Just take care not to over buff, and don't get it on the outer edge ( not sure how it will react with that and I did not want to try to find out)

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
To those who have noted the small nicks and gouges in the back - I have one really apparent one and ~5 smaller ones. I'm really, really debating what to do; likely these will be covered up by a skin that I put on, as I don't think I'll leave it naked. To those with the same issue -- did you replace it via your carrier/store, or did you go to Apple? And what were the results?

Attachments

• iphone5-gouge1-zoom.jpg
    iphone5-gouge1-zoom.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 272

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Add another iPhone 5 to the bunch. Brand new White 64GB version...

Calling Apple tomorrow morning.

One of the white iPhone 5's I had had that blue gunk in between the edge and the glass. It almost looks like ink but it's like fabric caught between the two. Pretty meh.

And it was right at the spot above the headphone jack.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
To those who have noted the small nicks and gouges in the back - I have one really apparent one and ~5 smaller ones. I'm really, really debating what to do; likely these will be covered up by a skin that I put on, as I don't think I'll leave it naked. To those with the same issue -- did you replace it via your carrier/store, or did you go to Apple? And what were the results?

My friend the decision must be yours.

Seems to me these imperfections are playing on your mind, so Im thinking you may have made your mind up anyway.

The answers to your questions lie in some of the earlier posts.

Don't be embarrassed at taking it back if that's what you want to do.

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
I exchanged my black for the white a week ago, but not on the grounds of "out of box scratches". It actually came to me flawless.

The fact of the matter is, these phones DO scratch easily... and I look after my stuff, especially expensive gadgets and gizmos!

I found even with the extreme pampering I gave the phone, I would notice these tiny nicks appearing on the bezel of the black model.:confused: and I didn't want to live with it getting worse.:( so I sent it back to apple for an exchange.

TBH the same is happening with my white model, but its not as noticeable as the black...so its doesn't frustrate me as much.

Just a little annoyed its only a week old and already showing signs of wear.

But all in all Im happy:)

Angelbethany

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2012
Just opened mine- as far as I can tell it's pretty flawless. There might be the teeniest smudge in the apple, but it's got to be pinpoint. I think I'll take it! Adds character ;)

fahadm101

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
Scuffs on band

Found two major scuffs as soon as I opened mine (Unlocked iPhone 5 White 16GB. The scuffs were on the band going around the phone. I would post a picture my camera cannot focus very well. How dare someone scratch my phone before me! Tomorrow I'm going to the apple store and they have to give me a no questions asked replacement.

Last edited:

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Found two major scuffs as soon as I opened mine (Unlocked iPhone 5 White 16GB. The scuffs were on the band going around the phone. I would post a picture my camera cannot focus very well. How dare someone scratch my phone before me! Tomorrow I'm going to the apple store and they have to give me a no questions asked replacement.

They will give you a replacement, but if the scratches are minor I might keep it. I have yet to see any iPhone 5 without scratches. Most of the defects I notice are on the back aluminum faceplate.

Good luck!

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE

I have the exact nick as you, although mine is near the Apple logo. My screen and battery are perfect, so I'm keeping mine since it really doesn't bother me. When I first examined the phone, I noticed it and I was a bit irritated. However, when I activated and tested my phone, I found the battery life to be great, and the colors of the screen are nice and vibrant. So I'm just keeping mine as is. I have a clear case on it which distracts from the nick anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.