Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

app_review_guidelines.jpg

PocketGamer.biz highlights a recent addition to Apple's iOS developer guidelines revealing that the company is now specifically targeting third-party apps intended to serve as repositories of information on other App Store apps, whether it be in the form of curated app discovery, promotional listings, price drops, or other similar app directory features.

The new guideline was added in a quiet update to Apple's developer documentation alongside the iPhone 5 media event last month.
2.25 Apps that display Apps other than your own for purchase or promotion in a manner similar to or confusing with the App Store will be rejected.
TechCrunch has more on the situation, with industry experts suggesting that such apps will likely remain in the App Store but that Apple will no longer approve updates for them, allowing them to fade away over time.
Historically, Henschel notes that changes like this one don't result in apps being taken down right away from the App Store. Instead, he says to expect updates to begin to be refused, resulting in gradual obsolescence as hardware and iOS versions continue to change and software is no longer compatible with new versions. But even without immediate action, the financial impact could be huge, since he says that these marketing strategies represent millions of dollars in revenue to companies like Tapjoy, for instance.
App discovery has long been a challenge for Apple given the sheer number of titles in the App Store, and Apple's acquisition of Chomp earlier this year was seen as a sign of renewed efforts at improving that experience. Apple has implemented some aspects of the Chomp interface in the App Store under iOS 6, but discovery of new apps remains difficult for many users.

Article Link: Apple's iOS Developer Guidelines Now Targeting Third-Party App Discovery and Promotion Tools

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
WTF? In what way does helping consumers find and purchase apps hurt Apple? They're going to get their percentage either way!

zman2100

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2009
Florida
What does this mean for AppShopper? I'm anxiously awaiting the iPhone 5 update and hope this doesn't stop that from happening.

bobobenobi

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
If iOS 6 would've made the app store experience better instead of worse, I wouldn't mind this news. The new app store is so slow that I cannot casually browse it as I did before.

yonis

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2009
Services like Tapjoy are sure to be hit hard by this.

They game the App Store by taking money from developers who want to boost their App Store ranks, and then place those apps into lists of other apps inside of games, like so:

devices.png

Players then earn in-game currency for installing and launching those apps on their devices, which boosts App Store rankings. It's pathetic.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
if it means less obtrusive in app ads for other apps im all for this.

After reading this post the decision suddenly makes more sense. It could be that they are trying to kill off third party advertising services which compete with Apple's own "iAd".

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
You know what would aid app discovery? Free trials.

Not to mention give users a great metric: apps that have been "tried" but not bought are likely crap.

The current system of "lite" apps just crowds the store.

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
I think the only fair thing to do is offer AppShopper and TouchArcade millions and millions of dollars and then integrate them into iOS.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Yet another **** move by Apple. When will the consumers stand up against this **** company. First, Apple is going to go against TapJoy and such. Next, it will be against other ad platforms, at which point IAd will suddenly be pushed more, while of course exempt from the rules so apple can collect their troll toll money...

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Chomp, huh. So this is why the iOS 6 app store is a complete clustertruck. It's hard to understate what a disaster it is, especially on the iPhone. Many developers are reporting significant (30%+) losses in revenue since the new app store rolled out.

Horizontal scrolling, no flick physics, tiny buttons, non-curated new releases hidden behind several levels of clicks -- these things together have destroyed natural app discovery.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
WTF? In what way does helping consumers find and purchase apps hurt Apple? They're going to get their percentage either way!

Simple: If your the CEO of BMW, how would you feel about your automobiles sharing data with Audi about their drivers favorite experiences from driving a BMW?

Probably would want your automobile's ECU to stop sending the data to Audi, no? ;)

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
On the plus side, this might get rid of all those "1001 free apps" or "get a free app daily" apps that are cluttering up the store. On the other hand for legitimate and useful apps like App Shopper, this is really bad news. The app store is terrible for finding apps and any app that aids that process is benefitial to Apple, Developers and Consumers. It will be a real shame to see those kind of apps gone.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
If iOS 6 would've made the app store experience better instead of worse, I wouldn't mind this news. The new app store is so slow that I cannot casually browse it as I did before.

Because of how bad the appstore is now I tend to use a 3rd party app to browser for apps instead of the official appstore. Right now I'm pretty set on Appsfire Deals (they have a great search thing) but there's also AppAdvice, AppShopper and Chomp.

The official app store is based on Chomp but chomp runs sooooo much better. I don't know how apple could have f'ed that up soo much.

Well *****.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

rohitp

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
Austin, Texas

Try this to speed up your app store:

Apple is known for sneaking in automatically enabled features after updates, and it seems that this is the culprit for the slow application store. Genius for Apps is a new iOS 6 feature which personalizes recommendations on applications that users may be interested in based on the applications already installed. A feature like this can slow down your phone when using 3G or very slow Wi-Fi.

How to Disable the App Genius
To turn off Genius for Apps on your device:

Go to Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services -> System Services (scroll ALL the way down to find it).
From the System Services screen, turn off Genius for Apps.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Try this to speed up your app store:

Apple is known for sneaking in automatically enabled features after updates, and it seems that this is the culprit for the slow application store. Genius for Apps is a new iOS 6 feature which personalizes recommendations on applications that users may be interested in based on the applications already installed. A feature like this can slow down your phone when using 3G or very slow Wi-Fi.

How to Disable the App Genius
To turn off Genius for Apps on your device:

Go to Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services -> System Services (scroll ALL the way down to find it).
From the System Services screen, turn off Genius for Apps.

I think that just turns off Genius' ability to recommend apps based on location data and doesn't turn off genius itself. Besides, genius shouldn't be trying to recommend apps unless I'm looking at that tab.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Simple: If your the CEO of BMW, how would you feel about your automobiles sharing data with Audi about their drivers favorite experiences from driving a BMW?

Probably would want your automobile's ECU to stop sending the data to Audi, no? ;)

Probably the worst analogy ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.