Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
I thought Apple was done pulling this ********. It's getting more difficult day by day to defend them vs other tech companies when I argue for them with my friends.

rohitp

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
Austin, Texas
I think that just turns off Genius' ability to recommend apps based on location data and doesn't turn off genius itself. Besides, genius shouldn't be trying to recommend apps unless I'm looking at that tab.

For iOS 6 devices that have experienced the slow App Store problems, that “Genius for Apps” setting almost always has a grey or purple icon next to it, indicating that it’s been using location services recently. Turning this feature OFF seems to end the random speed issues of the App Store completely, presumably because the Genius feature is no longer doing whatever it does in the background while you navigate and use the store.

With App Genius off, double-tap the Home button, then tap and hold on the App Store icon to quit it. Relaunch App Store, and everything should be much faster again.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
For iOS 6 devices that have experienced the slow App Store problems, that “Genius for Apps” setting almost always has a grey or purple icon next to it, indicating that it’s been using location services recently. Turning this feature OFF seems to end the random speed issues of the App Store completely, presumably because the Genius feature is no longer doing whatever it does in the background while you navigate and use the store.

With App Genius off, double-tap the Home button, then tap and hold on the App Store icon to quit it. Relaunch App Store, and everything should be much faster again.

Cool. Yeah, seems to have helped.

Josheh

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
What does this mean for AppShopper? I'm anxiously awaiting the iPhone 5 update and hope this doesn't stop that from happening.

Seriously. This is the first thing I thought when reading this news. I use AppShopper a lot. Especially to add things to a wish list. If Apple would allow me to do that while browsing through my phone, that'd make life a lot nicer. I absolutely hate that I can't. I know in itunes I can do that. I'm hardly at my computer though. Now with wireless sync and icloud, match, I'm there even less.

If iOS 6 would've made the app store experience better instead of worse, I wouldn't mind this news. The new app store is so slow that I cannot casually browse it as I did before.

YES! I dislike the changes they made. I think it made it more difficult to casually browse. Before I could see several options on the screen at once, now it feels like I can only see one option at a time. It's cumbersome and slow, often frustrating. I end up booting up AppShopper to try and find stuff because the App Store is so horrible.

This is so frustrating as a consumer. Apple makes these changes and it feels like they don't give a damn what we say or how we feel on the situation. It feels like there's no avenue for us to reliably voice or corners or feel like we've been heard at all. As frustrating as this is with Apple, it's a lot worse when dealing with companies like Verizon or AT&T.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
I hope Apple does not remove TouchArcade. Anyway, lets way a few days and see what this is all about.

Josheh

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
Chomp, huh. So this is why the iOS 6 app store is a complete clustertruck. It's hard to understate what a disaster it is, especially on the iPhone. Many developers are reporting significant (30%+) losses in revenue since the new app store rolled out.

Horizontal scrolling, no flick physics, tiny buttons, non-curated new releases hidden behind several levels of clicks -- these things together have destroyed natural app discovery.

I never used Chomp. Not a fan of what they did to the store though. It's weird. Right after Bad Piggies came out, I searched it up by that exact name. It wasn't even the first app to show up. I had to scroll through a few apps to find it. Your comments reminded me of that.

DotComCTO

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
Regarding AppShopper: as long as the mechanism that AppShopper uses for their web site stays in place, then at least we can still use the site if the app can't be update any longer.

Not sure what Apple is doing here. I'm certain that AppShopper helps DRIVE sales, not hinder them. Frankly, in addition to looking for sales, I use AppShopper to keep tabs on application updates for apps I haven't bought yet.

Hope this doesn't negatively impact AppShopper.

:(

--DotComCTO

Josheh

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
No. I've written worse. ;)

The problem with the analogy is that Apple indirectly makes money off them still. People find applications to buy and go buy them from the App store.

This is my understanding as the only thing this article relates to in my experience is AppShopper. So it seems that the apps in question somehow still direct you back to the App store.

hspace

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Are Apple really so intent on going out of their way to hurt indie developers?

The new iOS 6 App Store has made searching for apps a lot more difficult - at least on the iPhone. Any searches now only return one search results, and side-scrolling for the next is anemic at best. *&*(#&(!!! And now they want to take away (or prevent updates to) Apps that help you find other apps?

What is their thinking here???

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
The problem with the analogy is that Apple indirectly makes money off them still. People find applications to buy and go buy them from the App store.

This is my understanding as the only thing this article relates to in my experience is AppShopper. So it seems that the apps in question somehow still direct you back to the App store.

I see. Thanks. :apple:

joewillmott

macrumors regular
May 22, 2012
England
I wish there was a better way to advertise apps for single developers on a low budget. App discovery would be easier then too!

Also go download my first game Run-O-Saur for iOS from the app store :D

lwapps

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
We're one more rule into developer hell. Sometimes, more time is spent trying to get the app approved than development time! It's a pain in the arse knowing that all the time and money spent on developing could be wasted because apple dont like your app.

DuckyDelite

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2006
No AppShopper, no sales for me

Not sure what Apple is doing here. I'm certain that AppShopper helps DRIVE sales, not hinder them. Frankly, in addition to looking for sales, I use AppShopper to keep tabs on application updates for apps I haven't bought yet.

--DotComCTO

I use AppShopper all the time. I rarely use the App Store to browse for items. If they kill AppShopper, I'll probably just stop buying stuff.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
Please let this remove all the pop up ads in apps that advertise other apps - even in the paid apps!

This is what needs to be eliminated.

Now, these legitimate services can simply move to the web, which would probably be better for them anyway as they can get away from Apple control.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
I only use Appshopper (wish there was something like this for Android.)
Appshopper is all I need.
Haven't used iTunes to find apps in years.
Appshopper has the filters I'm looking for.
Appshopper has saved me money.
Apple should buy Appshopper from MR and get rid or Chomptunes.
The only thing iTunes is good for is app reviews for apps you may be leery about.
If Apple nixes Appshopper, they will get less of my money as iTune is not an option. (I know this will not affect their bottom line in any way, shape or form.)

abhibeckert

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Cairns, Australia
Apps are not a marketing tool, they're supposed to do functional stuff.

If you want to tell the world about the best iOS apps, the best place to do that is a website. People can save it to their home screen if they're accessing it all the time.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
I hope Apple does not remove TouchArcade. Anyway, lets way a few days and see what this is all about.

TouchArcade screen shots seem to have been updated to 4inch iPhone5 screen shots. Which would have occurred after the policy change.

How much of an update is required to update screen shots?
Would there have been a review that should have taken the new rule into account?

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Apple, by making your App Store the ONLY place to legally purchase iOS apps, you have taken on a huge responsibility. We were all lead to believe that it was about protecting the interests of both consumer (keeping buggy or malicious software off our devices) and developer (providing access to a huge market and taking care of credit card transactions).

So how does this help either group? If I didn't use AppShopper, there are plenty of apps I would never have heard about, much less considered buying. There are many others which I wouldn't have purchased at the normal price, but did purchase at a reduced price. So the developer got an additional sale (at the price THEY chose, in order to promote extra sales), and in some cases more from friends who I then recommended their app too.

Apple, you've actually recommended we consider competing mapping applications now, in response to the obvious shortcomings of your own Maps application. I applaud you for doing this (although not for removing the Google Maps app in the first place, which could have been offered alongside your own beta app). Now consider that your App Store app isn't meeting the needs of every user either. We're all individuals. We're all different, with different preferences, and you know… it's kind of what makes the world such an interesting place. Let's see an Apple which begins to acknowledge that, welcoming third party alternatives to Apple's best efforts—welcoming CHOICE.

I thought Apple was done pulling this ********. It's getting more difficult day by day to defend them vs other tech companies when I argue for them with my friends.

Indeed.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
If iOS 6 would've made the app store experience better instead of worse, I wouldn't mind this news. The new app store is so slow that I cannot casually browse it as I did before.

This x 1000000

I'm glad I discovered so much already in the proper App Store (iOS5 and below)... It wouldn't have happened so well on the new one, that's for sure.

I see how the results are presented in a more appealing way, however, sometimes you NEED list view.
It's like having to dig through a list of 1000 pictures and only seeing one by one each needing a new slide gesture to appear... AAAAH! Bloody hell.
Then try to remember your favorites... #23, #49, #79... or was it 97?
Then scroll back again to read the detailed descriptions and user reviews...

CLUNKY AS HECK.

How was this system tested?
Probably like this:
Search for "HRS"...
*slide, slide* ah! Number 2: official HRS app it seems... let's check... YUP! *downloads*

Now, anyone not searching for a particular app, but rather is on a discovery (which this was claimed to make easier) is going to jam his iPhone against a concrete wall...

Glassed Silver:mac

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Simple: If your the CEO of BMW, how would you feel about your automobiles sharing data with Audi about their drivers favorite experiences from driving a BMW? Probably would want your automobile's ECU to stop sending the data to Audi, no? ;)

if it means less obtrusive in app ads for other apps im all for this.

Perhaps a security issue with all these migrating data? If that is the underlying reason for these new guidelines, I'm all for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.