Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:53 PM   #151
shandyman
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Here is one for you. Will my messages (SMS and MMS) be saved to iCloud?

I'm going to get a new iPhone and I want to keep a load of messages I sent too and and received from a non-iPhone user.
Yes if you backup to iCloud then restore from iCloud backup on new device
shandyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:28 AM   #152
Jakimo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
..I want to keep a load of messages I sent too and and received from a non-iPhone user.
You can also extract messages from an iTunes (non-iCloud) backup of an iPhone. Once you're satisfied with the whole procedure, you can easily go back to iCloud backups again.

Here's a thread talking about it just a few months back:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1374037

peace
Jakimo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:15 PM   #153
emir
macrumors 6502a

here's what i don't get. i have notes icloud set as on on my iphone, but i've set up a clean install of mountain lion on my mac and only one of many notes are synced on the notes app of my mac.

why is that?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:00 PM   #154
John.B
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by emir View Post
here's what i don't get. i have notes icloud set as on on my iphone, but i've set up a clean install of mountain lion on my mac and only one of many notes are synced on the notes app of my mac.

why is that?
I saw this same thing, it was because various notes on my iPhone were under various email accounts. Unfortunately, it's not as easy (AFAICT) to filter on all notes per email address as it is for all calendar appointments.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:29 PM   #155
jwflutterby
macrumors regular

Shared PhotoStream question...

Ok so I've got the shiny new iOS 6 and thought shared photo streams could be shared with anyone. I thought it was web-based so if you just want someone to be able to see the pics they could point a browser at a site, log in, and see my pics. So I invite my mom who only has an Android phone, tablet and an old XP netbook thinking it could be like Facebook w/o being so public (cuz you know how bad the Karma is for not accepting the friend request from your best friend in Kindergarten's mom ) and she tells me she can't get to it. Really? Am I missing something??? She doesn't need push notifications when I post new pics, I just want her to see all the pics in one place. I'll just post a photo page to my .mac site with iWeb instead, oh wait
jwflutterby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:42 PM   #156
Jakimo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
I saw this same thing, it was because various notes on my iPhone were under various email accounts. Unfortunately, it's not as easy (AFAICT) to filter on all notes per email address as it is for all calendar appointments.
Consolidate the notes via the Mac Mail app, just drag and drop - pretty easy.
Jakimo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:10 PM   #157
Johnchapin
macrumors member

Still avoiding "the" cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
You don't have to use iCloud for anything if you don't want to, but with Mountain Lion there is a real convergence with Mac, iPhone, and iPad app data for things like notifications, calendars, etc. And more to come in iOS 6. You can take a pass, but I think you'll might be missing out on some of the real strengths of their platform (and I was as curmudgeonly as you not long ago).
Old curmudgeonly Grouch here again "Curmudgeonly", I like that word. May eliminate the "grouch" part :-)

I'm avoiding Mtn Lion and iOS 6 because of their pressure to use "the" cloud. "The" cloud still seems like a solution looking for a problem, meanwhile stumbling all over its own problems, only to be discontinued in the future like Mobile Me for the next great thing.

Here's an example of my concern: I use an EyeFi memory card in a camera to transfer photos to an iPad 3 to see photos on location on a great display. Greatest thing since color film. Can't wait 'til live view, what you see in the viewfinder, is supported.

So, "the" Cloud is going to "sync" these thousands of photos per month to an iPhone And, at what cost for storing all these high rez photos in "the" Cloud? Don't think so.

Last edited by Johnchapin; Sep 21, 2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: minor edit
Johnchapin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:21 PM   #158
danny_w
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnchapin View Post
Old curmudgeonly Grouch here again I'm avoiding Mtn Lion and iOS 6 because of their pressure to use "the" cloud. "The" cloud still seems like a solution looking for a problem, meanwhile stumbling all over its own problems, only to be discontinued in the future like Mobile Me for the next great thing.

Here's an example of my concern: I use an EyeFi memory card in a camera to transfer photos to an iPad 3 to see photos on location on a great display. Greatest thing since color film. Can't wait 'til live view, what you see in the viewfinder, is supported.

So, "the" Cloud is going to "sync" these thousands of photos per month to an iPhone And, at what cost for storing all these high rez photos in "the" Cloud? Don't think so.
Agree completely about pressure to use "the cloud". Apple has gone though so many "cloud" iterations already and every new iteration brings more problems. When will they ever learn? I went through the awful .mac/.me transition, so when iCloud came along I switched to gmail. Bookmark syncing (the only thing that I really used) completely broke for me in the iCloud transition and I don't look forward to any more Apple missteps.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:35 PM   #159
steffi
macrumors 6502a

Where are the firstname.lastname@me.com -> firstname.lastname@icloud.com addresses?

iCloud Mail on an iOS device under iOS6 requires a @icloud.com email address. It won't accept anything else @me.com or appleid.

Why is that?

Also I have two iCloud setups one from a migrated @me.com account and the other attached to my appleid.

How can I merge these into one. I don't need two iCloud setups
steffi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:04 AM   #160
c2darqdes
macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I have a @gmail apple ID and after entered on icloud.com with my ID I have clicked on the email icon and it said that I should create an icloud account on a device to get through... so I did it on my iphone.

But this account was just a "test" one wich I suppose to delete it easily. But after hours trying to find out how to exclude this test@icloud.com mail from my iCloud account I could not find out a way to do it!!

When I go do Preferences inside the email on iCloud.com it shows my "test" account there, but no way to delete it!

Does anyone have an idea how to do that?

Thanks!
c2darqdes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:53 AM   #161
BentwoodBlue
macrumors member

Thank you for this. Setting up my wife's account would have been a hassle without it.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 05:27 PM   #162
dhy8386
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwflutterby View Post
Ok so I've got the shiny new iOS 6 and thought shared photo streams could be shared with anyone. I thought it was web-based so if you just want someone to be able to see the pics they could point a browser at a site, log in, and see my pics. So I invite my mom who only has an Android phone, tablet and an old XP netbook thinking it could be like Facebook w/o being so public (cuz you know how bad the Karma is for not accepting the friend request from your best friend in Kindergarten's mom ) and she tells me she can't get to it. Really? Am I missing something??? She doesn't need push notifications when I post new pics, I just want her to see all the pics in one place. I'll just post a photo page to my .mac site with iWeb instead, oh wait
It works just not as eloquently as if you were idevice owner. When you set up shared photostream, you need to enable the public sharing (turn switch to on). This will allow photostreams to be shared via the web (via a public iCloud link) so anyone can view it. An email is sent to all individuals asking them to Join the Photostream and below that there is text that says "Dont have an iCloud account, view photos on the web here". But you lose the ability to see/make comments.

I probably should update the OP since some has changed with this whole thing since I wrote it...but just getting back to Apple as I had switched to Android for a bit Shhhh.....
dhy8386 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 04:59 PM   #163
unplugme71
macrumors 68000

Apple, at the very least, should allow you to change your iTunes email as the Apple ID.

This way, I can make it my_family_id@icloud.com to give to everyone in my family. Then I can use the original just_me@icloud.com for my email, contacts, etc.

I don't care about sharing contacts. I can drag them to the desktop, then drag them into the other persons contact app.

I can create shared calendars - so no biggie.
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services