Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
For DLNA, most of work is under the control of DLNA server, it is DLNA server's decision how to handle the .m4a, .mp3, so this issue cannot be improved on the DLNA client side. All the DLNA folder is decided only by DLNA server.
GoodPlayer is only a DLNA client now.

We knew some DLNA server supports gendre feature, such as setting all your audiobook to a Audiobook gendre. So you can find all your audio files in that gendre folder. Do not know if your DLNA server supports this feature.

Thanks for your reply.

Am I right in understanding that DLNA is unable to recognise file types? The audiobook files are .m4a, is it not possible for Goodplayer to place these into an Audiobook folder alongside the Music, Photos and Videos folders?

Hopefully this can be be resolved.
Thanks
Rob

Robd71

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
We knew some DLNA server supports gendre feature, such as setting all your audiobook to a Audiobook gendre. So you can find all your audio files in that gendre folder. Do not know if your DLNA server supports this feature.

Thanks for a quick response.

Yes the DLNA server does support genre, I was hoping to have the audiobooks separated from the music. Guess I'll have to use the suggested work around.

Many Thanks
Rob

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Any indication of when this'll support the 5’s res? Long been an AVplayerHD user but that(hopefully not) may be going the way of the dodo before they can squeeze out an update for the new iPhone. No point me biting the bullet on this until it supports 1136x640.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Any indication of when this'll support the 5’s res? Long been an AVplayerHD user but that(hopefully not) may be going the way of the dodo before they can squeeze out an update for the new iPhone. No point me biting the bullet on this until it supports 1136x640.

It WILL return to the AppStore. It's just not known when and surely not in the near future.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
I was wondering why Goodplayer registers itself as a handler for PDF files. Seeing that iOS (5, at least) only shows 10 apps on the iPad in the "Open in" menu, it is kind of a waste to have Goodplayer (and PowerPlayer, also) taking up a slot.

I'd like to request that the developers remove Goodplayer from listing itself as an "Open in" app for PDFs. Otherwise, I'll have to continually delete and reinstall Goodplayer and Powerplayer whenever one of my "real" PDF handling apps has been pushed off the list.

Thank you for considering this.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
For iPhone 5 support, we are waiting for our iPhone 5 device for the check
and upgrade. Please wait.
The next GoodPlayer 5.8 version will support iPhone 5, thanks.

----------

For the ease of use, we register GoodPlayer to "all files". So it looks there is no easy way to unregister the PDF format only.

I was wondering why Goodplayer registers itself as a handler for PDF files. Seeing that iOS (5, at least) only shows 10 apps on the iPad in the "Open in" menu, it is kind of a waste to have Goodplayer (and PowerPlayer, also) taking up a slot.

I'd like to request that the developers remove Goodplayer from listing itself as an "Open in" app for PDFs. Otherwise, I'll have to continually delete and reinstall Goodplayer and Powerplayer whenever one of my "real" PDF handling apps has been pushed off the list.

Thank you for considering this.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
For iPhone 5 support, we are waiting for our iPhone 5 device for the check
and upgrade. Please wait.
The next GoodPlayer 5.8 version will support iPhone 5, thanks.

----------

Great, thank you for the response.

Bilalo

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2012
Oxford, England
GoodPlayer upgraded to 1.4
What's New in Version 1.4
1. HTTP, RTSP,MMS,MMSH,RTP and UDP streaming playback supported, not only just a local movie player anymore, now it is also a network streaming media player.
2. goodplayer:// URL scheme supported
3. A stability bug fixed, thanks Jeff for the test files
4. Auto repeat playback current file switch added, the default is off.
5. Add a refresh button to the file list bar, after the iTunes File Sharing file copy, press the refresh button to reload the file list
6. Sub-directory/folder creation supported
7. Media files list changed to case insensitive order
8. Next file and previous file playback supported
9. French localization supported, thanks Pierre for the translation
10. Simplified Chinese localization supported

I love your player, ever since flex got ruined i finally found an alternative even though the arrangment on flex was better which are pics for each video, but anyhow doyou think you could make it possible to put items in groups? Like folders or something that could be done in-app? Because i have different series and the first episode goes with the 100's and its annoying -_- i gotta scroll alot to find what i want...
Thank you

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Thanks. Do you mean something like a customizable playlist?

I love your player, ever since flex got ruined i finally found an alternative even though the arrangment on flex was better which are pics for each video, but anyhow doyou think you could make it possible to put items in groups? Like folders or something that could be done in-app? Because i have different series and the first episode goes with the 100's and its annoying -_- i gotta scroll alot to find what i want...
Thank you

Bilalo

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2012
Oxford, England
Thanks. Do you mean something like a customizable playlist?

Imean like all myfile names are numbers so when imix shows together i dont know which is which so id like to make a playlist or folder within to be able nd watch and fin everything in order. Its really annoying that i have to press done and find the next episode due to a clashif series and their names.

Thankyou:) i'm willing to pay an extra $1-2 for that feature :)

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Thanks. We will take it into consideration.
Have you ever tried to click the right blue arrow of the shared folder? This will play the folder as a playlist. It looks this can save your some pressing here.

Imean like all myfile names are numbers so when imix shows together i dont know which is which so id like to make a playlist or folder within to be able nd watch and fin everything in order. Its really annoying that i have to press done and find the next episode due to a clashif series and their names.

Thankyou:) i'm willing to pay an extra $1-2 for that feature :)

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
Landscape issue

Just updated to latest version. Usually use my ipad3 and leave it in landscape mode. However, now this app displays in portrait mode and I have to pick up ipad to display portrait then place ipad in landscape before it actually displays correctly. All else functions fine.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Thanks.
We are testing the next 5.8 version now. It looks this issue does not exist on the 5.8 version. Please wait for the new version.

Just updated to latest version. Usually use my ipad3 and leave it in landscape mode. However, now this app displays in portrait mode and I have to pick up ipad to display portrait then place ipad in landscape before it actually displays correctly. All else functions fine.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I'd like to congratulate the GoodPlayer folks. I've thoroughly tested WMV / Silverlight stream playback apps and found GoodPlayer the best.

Unfortunately, I can't link to my original article (so that I can avoid self-promotion). If there is need, I can copy-paste the entire article here so that you can see in what ways it's better than the competition and, even more importantly, how you should utilize this functionality. (As usual, the article also contains several mini-tutorials.)

As usual, the article has never-before-published-by-anyone, absolutely unique info.

monkey186

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
Great player, so nice to be able to transfer and watch mkv files directly, without messy conversions!

monkey186

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
From a DVD?

BTW, if the playback is uselessly slow, then, it's 1080p.

Yep from a DVD - they are probably not 1080p because their size is not huge, only about 1.5gb per movie.

I used handbrake with default settings for mkv, with constant quality set at 20 and variable bitrate, and ac3 pass-through audio.

They play really good, no slowness at all :)

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Yep from a DVD - they are probably not 1080p because their size is not huge, only about 1.5gb per movie.

I used handbrake with default settings for mkv, with constant quality set at 20 and variable bitrate, and ac3 pass-through audio.

They play really good, no slowness at all :)

They're perfect settings and GoodPlayer is well suited for playing back H.264 videos converted from DVD's.

BTW, do you preserve the subtitles?

monkey186

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
They're perfect settings and GoodPlayer is well suited for playing back H.264 videos converted from DVD's.

BTW, do you preserve the subtitles?

Yes, just not all of them, only those that i think I (or my friends) might need when watching the movie.

Do you know by any chance what is the difference between Goodplayer and Powerplayer, I have just noticed the latter also has good reviews.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Yes, just not all of them, only those that i think I (or my friends) might need when watching the movie.

Do you know by any chance what is the difference between Goodplayer and Powerplayer, I have just noticed the latter also has good reviews.

Of the two, I recommend the former for most playback types and formats, except for anything non-iOS-native 1080p. (This is why my first question to you was "1080p?") For example, as I've posted above, it has become the "Most recommended" title in my latest WM / SL playback roundup / tutorial.

The latter will surely become a decent MKV player some day. Currently, however, I think there are better alternatives for MKV playback.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Question: After upgrading, the new GoodPlayer/PowerPlayer does not work, how to downgrade to the older GoodPlayer/PowerPlayer?

Answer: Please check the following 2 links, the older version need to be backed up by iTunes first. Or else there is no official way to roll back to older version.

How to reinstall previous versions of Apps on iPhone
http://bharter.wordpress.com/2009/10/29/how-to-reinstall-previous-versions-of-apps-on-iphone/

Recover Older Versions of iPhone Apps After Updating
http://gigaom.com/apple/recover-older-versions-of-iphone-apps-after-updating/

----------

For GoodPlayer and PowerPlayer difference, please check http://www.hustmobile.com/powerplayer/index.html

If you have purchase GoodPlayer/PowerPlayer app, you have the highest priority to get a free promo code for PowerPlayer/GoodPlayer. Please contact powerplayer@hustmobile.com for a PowerPlayer promo code if you like.

Last edited:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
###########
Urgent Notice for GoodPlayer/PowerPlayer apps!!!
###########
Please backup the current GoodPlayer/PowerPlayer app by iTunes before upgrading it to newer version
###########
The next GoodPlayer 5.8/PowerPlayer 1.7 will have to remove some audio codecs support. Backup current version before the upgrading!!!

Can you be more specific so that I can also post a warning article? Will it be the AC3?

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Sounds ominous. Apple limiting codecs supported to force more people into iTunes sourced material by any chance?
This is the kind of behaviour that will push me from iOS if it is true. Sand boxing apps I get but limiting third party apps through unjustifiable restrictions bothers me greatly. I may be wrong though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.