Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

UkrainianiPhone shares several photos (via 9to5Mac) of what its source claims are parts from Apple's forthcoming "iPad mini". The parts include a black rear shell demonstrating cellular capabilities, as well as a white front panel/digitizer assembly. The photo set also includes a purported LCD from the iPad mini, but the part actually appears to be a Kindle Fire display.

ipad_mini_black_shell_inside.jpg
The site highlights a number of features on the rear shell, include a headphone jack at the top left of the device as on the full-size iPad, a plastic strip along the top edge of the part as seen on cellular-capable iPad models, a nano-SIM card slot and tray along the right edge, and a Lightning connector centered along the bottom edge.

ipad_mini_black_shell_outside.jpg
The white front panel and digitizer part shows the narrow side bezels that have been rumored for the device, as well as holes for the traditional home button and FaceTime camera.

ipad_mini_white_front_panel.jpg
Apple is reportedly introducing the iPad mini at a media event scheduled for sometime this month, with one recent rumor claiming that Apple will be sending out media invitations on October 10 for an event presumed to take place roughly one week later.

Article Link: Photos of Purported 'iPad Mini' Parts Include Rear Shell and Front Panel

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
Black back? Carbon Fiber, maybe? Or like the iPhone 5? Really hard to tell by those pictures but the back doesn't look like it's been milled out of aluminum, like the iPhone parts. Maybe it's just stamped aluminum like the full size iPads. Just my opinion.

Original article also says "will be announced Oct 17 and released Nov 2." Can't wait!!!

Darrensk8

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
As much as I want this to be real, there's just something about this that doesn't make sense. :rolleyes:

shortenjam88

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
I think it will be a $350 device, with retina display. Probably coming with a 4g option at a higher price. And 1 year old internals (A5). I also think this will be taking the place of what the iPad 2's purpose is now with the new iPad, and that is a cheaper alternative to the latest model. I can't wait to get one to use as an e-reader in my bedroom and my new iPad as a true computer replacement device at home. Still gotta have that PC for work!

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Either they're anodizing the aluminum like the iPhone 5, or they've moved to a plastic back to keep costs down.

Darrensk8

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
I think it will be a $350 device, with retina display. Probably coming with a 4g option at a higher price. And 1 year old internals (A5). I also think this will be taking the place of what the iPad 2's purpose is now with the new iPad, and that is a cheaper alternative to the latest model. I can't wait to get one to use as an e-reader in my bedroom and my new iPad as a true computer replacement device at home. Still gotta have that PC for work!

If this is retina then I can't wait to sell my iPad to replace with this!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Black back? Carbon Fiber, maybe? Or like the iPhone 5? Really hard to tell by those pictures but the back doesn't look like it's been milled out of aluminum, like the iPhone parts. Maybe it's just stamped aluminum like the full size iPads. Just my opinion.

It almost looks ... <dramatic pause> ... plastic. :eek:

Still skeptical

"Here's some actual productions parts."

"Still skeptical"

"Here's an assembled, working product."

"Still skeptical"

"They're in retail stores."

"Still skeptical"

"Here, I bought you one."

"Skepticism fading ... slightly ..."

:D

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I find it interesting that, just like the iPhone 5, the black back has a black Apple logo on it.

The idea that a company would de-emphasize its logo on a widely seen product is unheard of, but this backs up the claim that Apple thinks of their iOS devices as iconic in and of themselves.

I wonder how long it will be until the white ones start shipping with white Apple logos.

Krauser

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
At the right price, I'd be interested. My mom has been wanting an iPad for the longest time but didn't want to spend the entry price for one because she didn't really want one that bad. But with this at a price of, say $199 or $299, it'd be a rather attractive purchase to have a little tablet around the house.

iSolidus

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012
Aah, it's this time again. Time to lay back, grab a bag of popcorn and watch the leaked parts fly by.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
It does look odd that the iPad Mini does not have these tapered edges as the iPad 2 and 3 have.

Widashy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
Still this 7 inch iPad can't compete with Nexus 7 in price range.
Might be a better competitor to Amazon Kindle Fire HD.

GorgonPhone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
At the right price, I'd be interested. My mom has been wanting an iPad for the longest time but didn't want to spend the entry price for one because she didn't really want one that bad. But with this at a price of, say $199 or $299, it'd be a rather attractive purchase to have a little tablet around the house.

i will pay $299 for the 32 gig

----------

Still this 7 inch iPad can't compete with Nexus 7 in price range.
Might be a better competitor to Amazon Kindle Fire HD.

dude really?? the apple logo alone on it is worth more than all other tablets..lolol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.