Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
That pic of the rear shell is odd - the finish is very flat, kind of like it's anodized (if it's aluminum), but it also has a plastic or even like a powder coated type surface look to it[?]

Could this possibly be the liquid metal product in production?

I find it interesting that, just like the iPhone 5, the black back has a black Apple logo on it.

I wonder if this product will use a common rear shell?

Luckybobby

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
This still does not look real, all the leaks are different so I don't think this would be real either. Although I think if the announce the event on the 10th and they have the event on the 17 then start the preorders the 24th then start selling it the 31st or the 1st does sound like a good idea. But does not seem realistic, since they still have to give everyone their iPods and iPhones even though there is tons of iPhones in the stores.

Widashy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
At the right price, I'd be interested. My mom has been wanting an iPad for the longest time but didn't want to spend the entry price for one because she didn't really want one that bad. But with this at a price of, say $199 or $299, it'd be a rather attractive purchase to have a little tablet around the house.

You know that iPod Touch 5G 16 GB sells for $299?
Expect the iPad mini to cost around $400-$450.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
You know that iPod Touch 5G 16 GB sells for $299?
Expect the iPad mini to cost around $400-$450.

The iPad Mini is not going to have a retina display.

I expect you'll be able to get either a 32 GB iPod Touch for $299 or a 16 GB iPad Mini for $299.

The choice you make for the same cost: Bigger screen with less memory or better screen with more memory?

This also has the advantage of the base-line iPads lining up as $299, $399, $499.

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
Looking more and more legit with each rumor/leak. I will out my Nexus 7 if this thing comes to pass. Don't get me wrong, the Nexus 7 is nice, really nice, except for the app availability is greatly handicapped when compared with iOS.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
FaceTime HD

hopefully it has better front facing camera. better back camera is a bonus.

For those who keep saying retina display, the current iPad 2 is non retina display so 1024x768 makes sense for cost saving and production quality

if they include in cell technology that it self is great. 10 hour battery will be awesome. with 32nm A5 it is possible.

----------

Looking more and more legit with each rumor/leak. I will out my Nexus 7 if this thing comes to pass. Don't get me wrong, the Nexus 7 is nice, really nice, except for the app availability is greatly handicapped when compared with iOS.

i miss the safari browser, everything else is fine with Nexus 7. man that screen is very good on nexus 7.

CodeBreaker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
Sea of Tranquility
I find it interesting that, just like the iPhone 5, the black back has a black Apple logo on it.

The idea that a company would de-emphasize its logo on a widely seen product is unheard of, but this backs up the claim that Apple thinks of their iOS devices as iconic in and of themselves.

I wonder how long it will be until the white ones start shipping with white Apple logos.

iPods have more subtle, etched logos against metal.
I personally prefer low contrast. The black iPhone back with a shiny apple looked a bit off.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Carbon fiber is unlikely given how expensive it is, if the iPad mini is indeed going to sell for the rumored $249-299.

Plastic is more likely given the lack of Apple logo cutout on the back for the Wi-Fi antenna. Either that or anodized aluminum and they placed the Wi-Fi antenna somewhere else (more likely).

Retina Display is impossible. 2048x1536 at that size is just pointless and would require far more expensive parts (display, battery, GPU) and would make it thicker and heavier.

1024x768 is not a bad resolution for a 7.85" tablet anyway. Remember that you only get a few more pixel on the 13" MBP that sells for 4-5x the price and has 3x the screen surface.

Last edited:

utcoug

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2010
iPad 2 available to K-12 education only?

I believe the new iPad Mini will be slotted in the iPad 2 current price point and iPad 2 will only be available to education institutions. I remember a few years ago Apple ceased the production of the MacBook Poly (plastic) laptop for general public and made it only available for education. Could they do the same with the iPad 2. Again, I believe the Mini will be a cheaper and smaller alt to the New iPad and will have a Retina screen. It doesn't make sense for them to use old tech to achieve a price point in a new product category. Retina is the future, as is evident in all their recent product releases. Thoughts?

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
I'm having a hard time understanding the why the cutouts are there. If you look at the second pic (of the rear shell), there appears to be no cutouts?

Maybe the first is for a 4G model and the 2nd is for the WiFi version. Looks damn sexy with the iPhone 5 slate color.

----------

I believe the new iPad Mini will be slotted in the iPad 2 current price point and iPad 2 will only be available to education institutions. I remember a few years ago Apple ceased the production of the MacBook Poly (plastic) laptop for general public and made it only available for education. Could they do the same with the iPad 2. Again, I believe the Mini will be a cheaper and smaller alt to the New iPad and will have a Retina screen. It doesn't make sense for them to use old tech to achieve a price point in a new product category. Retina is the future, as is evident in all their recent product releases. Thoughts?

I think you make a lot of sense.

Danoc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
If true, do you think we will see an technical update of the ipad 3rd gen?

I'm leaning toward the 3rd ipad with retina but unsure if an ipad mini with iPhone 5 internal specs is launched.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
The only thing I have qualms about with the iPad mini is the purported resolution – the Nexus 7" (1280 x 800) has a beautiful display, and a higher resolution than the purported iPad mini 7.85" (1024 x 768).

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
This is not iPad Mini parts, this is for the new Samsung Galaxy Note 7" phablet.
Samsung not only copied the general design of the iPad, but even copied this time the Apple logo on the back.

/jk

utcoug

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2010
If true, do you think we will see an technical update of the ipad 3rd gen?

I'm leaning toward the 3rd ipad with retina but unsure if an ipad mini with iPhone 5 internal specs is launched.

I'm thinking they will do a silent spec bump on the New iPad with the iPad Mini announcement. I don't know if it will be heavily covered during the Mini announcement though if it happens as they say in a couple of weeks.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I think it will be a $350 device, with retina display. Probably coming with a 4g option at a higher price. And 1 year old internals (A5). I also think this will be taking the place of what the iPad 2's purpose is now with the new iPad, and that is a cheaper alternative to the latest model. I can't wait to get one to use as an e-reader in my bedroom and my new iPad as a true computer replacement device at home. Still gotta have that PC for work!

For$350 it better have an A6

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
For those who keep saying retina display, the current iPad 2 is non retina display so 1024x768 makes sense for cost saving and production quality

But the iPad 2 is an older device, just as the iPhone 3GS was. I think Apple intentionally decides to keep the older device to have a cheaper entry model. I think Apple is actually trying to incorporate the Retina display into its new products over time. Not adding it to a new iPad would be a step back in my opinion. If the iPad Mini does not have a Retina display, I might not be willing to buy it, knowing that there is better technology available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.