Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple has started mass production of the iPad mini.
Apple Inc.'s Asian component suppliers have started mass production of a new tablet computer smaller than the current iPad, people with knowledge of the situation said, as the Silicon Valley company tries to stay competitive against rivals such as Google Inc. GOOG -0.63% and Amazon.com Inc. AMZN -0.56% that are offering smaller, less-expensive alternatives to the iPad.
The Wall Street Journal cites two sources who also confirm that the iPad mini will use a 7.85" screen with a lower screen resolution than the 3rd Generation iPad. The iPad Mini has been previously rumored to have a 1024x768 pixel display.

ipadmini4_small.jpg
Mockup of 7.85-inch "iPad mini" next to full-size iPad.​
The report comes just after a similar claim from Japanese site Mac Otakara, who specified that the iPad mini had begun production in Foxconn's factories in Brazil. The Wall Street Journal's report seems to provide additional confirmation. Recent reports have suggested that the iPad Mini media event will take place in October.

Article Link: Wall Street Journal: Apple Has Begun Mass Production of the iPad Mini

chumpy34

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Maybe they will get "Mini-Me" from Austin Powers to do the product reveal with Tim Cook:)

joelhinch

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
iPad, iPad, iPad, iPad, iPad, iPhone, iPhone, iPad, iPad.

Where are the MAC rumours????????????

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I wonder if the iPad Mini will come with the same wifi issues, bluetooth drop-outs, scuffs, scratches, dents, camera purple-fringing, terrible Maps app, lack of accessory support and with no adaptors available.

This is, after all, the Apple we've all come to know and love...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So will the screen resolution on this device be equal or superior to Fire HD or Nexus 7?

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
Any infos about the specs (Processor: A6 or A5X ? / HD display or 1024*768 ? / 4G+WiFi connection ? / HD: 8/16/32/64gb versions? ) and price (starting at 199$ ? ) :confused:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Apple will be tripling down on secrecy next year, since just doubling failed miserably

For all the 100.000s who work in the manufacturing process only 1 is needed for a leak, and probably a bit of cash.;)

Hell, look at the new James Bond Movie, Adele's song (Skyfall) got leaked just today and there are way less people involved.

This is sooooo not going to happen. And if it does will be Apple's biggest blunder in a long time.

Why?

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2008
"This is sooooo not going to happen. And if it does will be Apple's biggest blunder in a long time."

Because he says so. :) And we all should listen to him expressing this well-reasoned opinion.
In my eyes, anything can happen and it is highly possible that we will see a new iPad Mini released this/next year.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
No retina? No purchase.

Apple is more than happy to take your $500+ for the Retina model.

In fact... that might be a tactic:

$300 gets you in the store for an iPad Mini
$400 gets you a bigger iPad 2
$500 gets you the beautiful Retina screen

Engan

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2012
Why no Retina? If this is true there is for sure not a chance I'm going to buy it.
As they say: "Once you go Retina, you never go back".

The display is what the Ipad is all about. I hope these rumors will turn out false since I can't see Apple go back to a lower resolution. What's the reason?

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I really find it hilarious that there are still people saying this isn't going to happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.