Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
:eek: If I had 64GB of ram id create a RAM disk and install the OS onto it. Imaging the read and write speeds on that thing:D

I was thinking the same thing.

*remembers when creating a RAM disk in Mac OS was as easy as opening the memory control panel and turning it on*

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Don't mean to be off topic, but since there is so much talk about ram I'd like to know how much difference would 16gig in an 2011 imac make compared to 8gig?

alan1l

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2008
Great update Apple! Just installed this afternoon and so far have had 6 kernel panics and a missing menubar. :mad:

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
I had a teacher who had more than 64GB of RAM and used his RAM as a hard drive. It was way faster than SDD because everything would load instantly.

You get the same benefit for disk reads simply by leaving your computer on, with the added benefit that you won't lose all your data if you lose power. Mac OS X caches disk blocks to RAM. Open Activity Monitor. The RAM labeled 'inactive' is used for disk caching. This quantity will increase the longer you go without powering off your machine.

Operating System authors aren't stupid. RAM disks are obsolete.

dmax35

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
Updated the lion release and it deleted my MS outlook mail account. Anyone know how I can restore my outlook folders and account. I have a current time machine backup prior to the update.

What files do I need to restore?

Thank You.

sasasule

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
Netherlands
How do you get more than 64GB of RAM? Isnt 8GB chips as big as they make right now? so I think 64GB is the max.
No it's not max
There are modules of 16GB,32GB RAM out there for quite some time...And this year on International Supercomputing Conference in Germany I had chance to sit with guys who have made already 64GB DDR3 ram....There market focus is ofc HPC market...but i expect that soon it will be on consumer market as well.
Site of that company is http://www.micron.com/

Here is link for 32GB memory

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?imodule=CT409672BQ1067Q

32GB, 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-8500 memory module
Part Number: CT409672BQ1067Q

Module Size: 32GB
Package: 240-pin DIMM
Feature: DDR3 PC3-8500
Specs: DDR3 PC3-8500 • CL=7 • Quad Ranked • Registered • ECC • DDR3-1066 • 1.35V • 4096Meg x 72 •

Price = 1498.99$ pc

You will not be able to use it in MBP but in Mac Pro or any Apple server you will have use for this modules...and that’s why MLion fix is necessary.
Maybe for regular users this is overkill but for serious company who depend from high memory usage this update will be really important.

Hackintosher's ;) (of which I am not one)
Mac Pro users and Apple server users...

64 GB of RAM.. LOL wow.
Nothing funny here Mac Pro = 8 socket x 16GB ram = 128GB RAM So if they can use so much RAM why not enable it in the software...

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory#1333-memory

dmax35

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
Updated the lion release and it deleted my MS outlook mail account. Anyone know how I can restore my outlook folders and account. I have a current time machine backup prior to the update.

What files do I need to restore?

Thank You.

FALSE ALARM!!!! I recently added a 6TB raid and relocated the Documents folder off my SSD to the raid and created a symbolic link pointing back... Outlook could not find my data records file and created a blank identity. All is well. Lesson learned.

Coffee Minutes

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2012
I wish they would fix the slow shut downs. Lion shut down in 2-3 seconds for me. Not it takes 25-30 seconds.

I noticed that too. It seems ML takes longer to shutdown than did Lion.

Anyone else notice this?

Is it an anomaly or does ML take longer to shut down.

Coffee Minutes

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2012
I noticed that too. It seems ML takes longer to shutdown than did Lion.

Anyone else notice this?

Is it an anomaly or does ML take longer to shut down.

Okay... i actually downloaded OS X 10.8.2 a few hours ago, and have just now tested the shutdown time.

It seems ML now shuts down instantly whereas the factory shipped ML would take several seconds to shut down. Now it shuts down super duper quick. When I received the replacement MBA w/ ML (swapped a bad MBA with Lion for a new MBA with ML), it took a lot longer to shutdown than Lion had and this had me concerned. Glad the update fixed this.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
On the other news, Windows 8 will bring support for 32 GB of RAM...

PS: I know it supports 192 GB of RAM.

Wrong again.......

Windows 7 Ultimate - 192 GB
Windows 7 Enterprise - 192 GB
Windows 7 Professional - 192 GB
Windows 7 Home Premium - 16 GB
Windows 7 Home Basic - 8 GB
Windows 7 Starter ----- N/A

sasasule

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
Netherlands
Wrong again.......

Windows 7 Ultimate - 192 GB
Windows 7 Enterprise - 192 GB
Windows 7 Professional - 192 GB
Windows 7 Home Premium - 16 GB
Windows 7 Home Basic - 8 GB
Windows 7 Starter ----- N/A

Hmm he is talking Windows 8 and you here showing Windows 7 memory support.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Does that problem manifest itself as an inability to get your Mac to come out of screen-saver mode? Because I've had THREE lockups in the past few weeks -- the machine isn't totally dead (iTunes keeps playing in the background), but I can't get out of screen saver mode and VNC attempts to the machine don't work. I have to hard power-off each time this happens.

Yep; the screen is dark although you can clearly see that the machine is out of sleep. Only a hard reboot works.

See the related thread about this under the ML section.

tommy060289

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2011
It's annoying. Three other macs in the house all upgraded to 10.8 without the issue, but my macpro is having lots of issues with it dropping. There is a big thread over on the apple support forums with lots of suggestions like changing the MTU etc.. but none have actually solved it for me.

I never had wi-fi issues on my imac till upgrading to 10.8.2 the other day. I tried everything and in end I backed up my stuff, formatted the hard drive and installed a fresh copy of 10.8.0 and then did the full upgrade in one to 10.8.2 and then restored my back up and not had any issues since (touch wood!)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I never had wi-fi issues on my imac till upgrading to 10.8.2 the other day. I tried everything and in end I backed up my stuff, formatted the hard drive and installed a fresh copy of 10.8.0 and then did the full upgrade in one to 10.8.2 and then restored my back up and not had any issues since (touch wood!)

I may end up having to go this route. It's just time consuming to do so. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.