Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nawoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Hi Guys, I need to some advice here.

I got my iphone 5 on launch day and have been using it perfectly well for the past 2 weeks. I've been in France for the last 2 weeks on holiday.

So basically it was working perfectly fine on Saturday morning at 50% Battery life. Then I went out, driving in my car with the phone in my pocket. When I took it out to use it again, it just wouldn't start up and was completely dead.

Took it to Apple store in Paris and the guy said that I had a red dot in the water sensor, resulting in it dying. Now this is really perplexing because I have never even let the phone touch water at all. It was always either in my pocket, or on the bed, or on the table. Water has never ever touched it.... I've never taken it into the shower.. I've never spilled a drink onto it or dropped it into one.. I've never walked in the rain with it... so I am really perplexed as to how on earth it can just die for no reason when it was working perfectly fine just a few moments earlier..

Apple says on its website that water damage isn't covered by warranty... but my case now is ridiculous because I have never ever let the phone touch water, and am totally perplexed as to how the water sensor could even turn red...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!:eek:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Maybe it happened and you didnt notice it.
Have them check the other moist sensors too.
What one turned red? The one on the bottom I assume, since the i5 doesnt have one on top any more.

Russiaone

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Do you wear boxers or briefs? Perhaps a bit of pee got into it? Seriously, that's all I can think of.

Try taking it to a different Apple Store. Or maybe look up methods to remove the red dot.

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011

I got my iphone 5 on launch day and have been using it perfectly well for the past 2 weeks. I've been in France for the last 2 weeks on holiday.

So basically it was working perfectly fine on Saturday morning at 50% Battery life. Then I went out, driving in my car with the phone in my pocket. When I took it out to use it again, it just wouldn't start up and was completely dead.

Took it to Apple store in Paris and the guy said that I had a red dot in the water sensor, resulting in it dying. Now this is really perplexing because I have never even let the phone touch water at all. It was always either in my pocket, or on the bed, or on the table. Water has never ever touched it.... I've never taken it into the shower.. I've never spilled a drink onto it or dropped it into one.. I've never walked in the rain with it... so I am really perplexed as to how on earth it can just die for no reason when it was working perfectly fine just a few moments earlier..

Apple says on its website that water damage isn't covered by warranty... but my case now is ridiculous because I have never ever let the phone touch water, and am totally perplexed as to how the water sensor could even turn red...

Have you tried to get your phone in DFU mode? My friend iPhone 4S died after an update he went to the store and the store rep told him he had to pay $200 out of warranty. I put his phone in DFU set it up as new problem solve.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Do you wear boxers or briefs? Perhaps a bit of pee got into it? Seriously, that's all I can think of.

Try taking it to a different Apple Store. Or maybe look up methods to remove the red dot.

WTF kind of question is that?

Probably from sweat in the OP's pocket. Those sensors don't just turn red without contacting moisture.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

I really don't want to know how you carry your phone around, but in my experience both of those options are impossible. Also from pee to attempted fraud in one jump, not too shabby.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona

I noticed something today. I was in a pretty hot and VERY humid room and when I took my iPhone out of the pocket I noticed the whole back aluminum plate was wet. I don't mean like misty, I mean wet. I automatically thought of this thread which I had read yesterday.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA

Maybe, something like this happened. Read this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1451349/

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru

I've had this issue with my iPhone 4S. I had to work a long shift on a summer day and apparently sweat got into the iPhone? And there was a red dot in the bottom connector, took it to the apple store and I just told them I didn't drop it. He went in the back openend the iPhone and since there are also built in water sensors inside the phone, they were all inactive so I got a new iPhone :). If they deny to replace, ask them to open the phone and check on the sensors inside

youglobal

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
The same exact thing just happened to me.
I solved the problem by holding the home and power buttons down for 10-20 seconds. See this post: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4553733?start=0&tstart=0:)

Thanks for posting johnnyddiscoduk - 2 months later, you're still providing solutions! Happened to me just now at a time Apple support wouldn't have answered (and really, with a company as big and global and as technology based as Apple, why DOESN'T it have 24/7 'phone support ?!!).

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
Keeping the phone in steamy bathroom can trip the sensors. Argue with them about it. Escalate it to the manager and keep demanding you did not drop it in water. It's in their policy to exchange it if you are persistent.

canwe3

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
this has become a VERY common ISSUE with iphone5 and apple needs to address this. It average about 1-2 a month. Even battery full the phone will just die. You need to reset using POWER and HOME button. I will NEVER EVER trust apple after this. I missed my alarm TWICE and important emails. when I had android it has NEVER failed me. After this phone I might just move to android. At least that never crashed on me.

Romf

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2011
Paris, France

I had a problem with my iphone 4 (or 4s, don't remember) and when taking it to the Apple Store in Paris the guy told me I had water damage and that warranty couldn't be used.
I didn't remember having the phone near water (although as said maybe happened once without notifying), so i was upset and I told the guy that warranty is required by law and if he didn't want to take my phone under warranty for this reason that I would like him to open it and prove that my problem was due to a water damage (knowing that their process of repair isn't opening the phone and giving it back to you repaired, but changing it for a refurbished one)... And then that I would accept to pay for the repair.
Well I don't know if my speech helped at all but after a few minutes the genius agreed to take the phone under warranty.
Maybe you can try something like that... But I think as said you have to get lucky with the guy who is assigned to your case anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.