Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macaddict06

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
about 3 meters from here. *points*
Hi All,

Got my iP5 yesterday and started using it right away. Nice new features, etc etc. Nice upgrade from my 4. Anyway, I was out last night for a softball game and it was about 50-55 degrees F. My iPhone 5 went NUTS. Either it wouldn't recognize finger input, or it would be hyper sensitive and sense my finger about 1.5cm away from the screen. With it laying flat in my palm the screen would go absolutely nuts, as if a couple of people we touching it and button mashing. It even started typing random letters in a text message to a friend.

That said, has anyone else seen a similar problem? My iPhone 4 (which I had on my last night) never had this problem and worked just fine. It was only the 5 and I could tell it was the temp - if I warmed it up, then it would work fine and slowly lose functionality.

Ideas? Anyone else?

Macaddict

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
I wouldn't think it's the temperature. There are many thousands of iPhone 5s that have been operated in colder temperatures already. If there was a temperature issue we would know by now.

EdwardSung

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
Hi All,

Got my iP5 yesterday and started using it right away. Nice new features, etc etc. Nice upgrade from my 4. Anyway, I was out last night for a softball game and it was about 50-55 degrees F. My iPhone 5 went NUTS. Either it wouldn't recognize finger input, or it would be hyper sensitive and sense my finger about 1.5cm away from the screen. With it laying flat in my palm the screen would go absolutely nuts, as if a couple of people we touching it and button mashing. It even started typing random letters in a text message to a friend.

That said, has anyone else seen a similar problem? My iPhone 4 (which I had on my last night) never had this problem and worked just fine. It was only the 5 and I could tell it was the temp - if I warmed it up, then it would work fine and slowly lose functionality.

Ideas? Anyone else?

Macaddict

You know, I have no idea what's actually going on, but I've been having the exact same thing happen to my phone. In the mornings, my phone (which I leave by the window) is pretty cold, and will behave pretty much as you described.

EdwardSung

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
Just tried an experiment. After displaying the aforementioned screen weirdness this morning, the phone's been working fine all day. I took the phone into the walk-in freezer at work and kept it in there for about 3 minutes. Sure enough, the screen started acting crazy again.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Any condensation forming on the screen, even very slightly?

I was just about to suggest the same thing. Sounds like the screen is sweating. And I'd wager that other touchscreen devices would do the same thing.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
The back of the manual, it says at what temperature range the phone is guaranteed to work... 50-55f seems reasonable, many earth cities have that temp, so looks like u got an appointment with Apple soon.

macaddict06

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
about 3 meters from here. *points*
Sorry to be so late on this:

I ended up finding that the problem was happening no matter the temp (H/T to shortcrust for that).

I took it to the Apple Store and they told me to do a restore and set up as new phone. Went home, tried it, didn't fix it.

Took it back to ARS and they exchanged it. The only thing that I noticed that was funny about the iPhone was that the headphone jack wasn't exactly plumb. I thought that was just a design thing, but when I got my new iPhone it was perfectly plumb.

TL;DR: problem not caused by temp, went to ARS and they exchanged it for a new one. No problems since.

sepsep

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2012
No Solution, Returned

Mine had the issue only when it got a little bit cold. So took it to the Apple Store and fortunately it was cold that day. Kept it cool until the "Genius" guy took a look and saw that it was like that. He immediately changed the phone for me. So now I have a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.