Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Does this product really remove scratches from the ipods screen? If so I might seriously considering purchasing it...

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004

Attachments

• icecream2.jpg
    icecream2.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 123

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
How can any product remove scratches? They're missing parts of the surface, what does it recreate them or something? I don't think it's possible.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
ITASOR said:
How can any product remove scratches? They're missing parts of the surface, what does it recreate them or something? I don't think it's possible.

It kinda fills in the minor scratches, which makes your iPod look less fugly. It doesn't restore it to new condition if your iPod has been through a war with your keys and/or the change in your pocket.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
ITASOR said:

It IS possible. It buffs the scratches out of the surface. Ever refinished furniture? It works the same way.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
powermac666 said:
It fills in the minor scratches, which makes your iPod look less fugly. It doesn't restore it to new condition if your iPod has been through a war with your keys and/or the change in your pocket.

It got my cat's claw marks out of my iBook with a little work. :)

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
leekohler said:
It got my cat's claw marks out of my iBook with a little work. :)

That's damned impressive. A friend tried it on his iPod and said it made some modest improvements. Clearly, he didn't apply sufficient elbow grease. ;)

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
powermac666 said:
That's damned impressive. A friend tried it on his iPod and said it made some modest improvements. Clearly, he didn't apply sufficient elbow grease. ;)

Now mind you, I rubbed the thing for an hour but the scratches do come out. You just have to keep rubbing.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
yeah, it's called an abrasive cleaner, plenty of abrasives will polish plastic-- It doesn't fill in the scratches, rather it softens them, and takes off a bit of plastic, evening the whole layer out and making them hard to see. Before specialized products came out, Brasso worked well at removing scraches from CDs and iPods, etc. Of course, the more gentle an abrasive is, the longer it will take to work...

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
rainman::|:| said:
yeah, it's called an abrasive cleaner, plenty of abrasives will polish plastic-- It doesn't fill in the scratches, rather it softens them, and takes off a bit of plastic, evening the whole layer out and making them hard to see. Before specialized products came out, Brasso worked well at removing scraches from CDs and iPods, etc. Of course, the more gentle an abrasive is, the longer it will take to work...

You always know just the right things to say...:)

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
rainman::|:| said:

Now this makes more sense. Taking a bit of plastic, rather than filling the scratches is how must abrasive cleaners work. Thanks rainman for the info!!!

Does this mean that the more you use, the more the plastic will be removed from the iPod? :confused:

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
It works, and it will look brand new, but if you use it excessively it will mess up your iPod or iBook. You could get to the point where the layer of plastic remaining is almost nonexistent.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
wide said:
It works, and it will look brand new, but if you use it excessively it will mess up your iPod or iBook. You could get to the point where the layer of plastic remaining is almost nonexistent.

I think the point of it is to help those of us who were too dumb to buy protective covers for them in the first place. I learned my lesson. I'm getting a sleeve for my iBook. And if you rub all the plastic off your iPod or iBook, you have more serious problems than scratches. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.