Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Oct 9, 2012, 02:56 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Wirecutter's Pick for Best iPhone 5 Case: The Switcheasy Tones

According to gadget review site The Wirecutter, the best iPhone 5 case at the moment is the Switcheasy Tones.

After he left Gizmodo, longtime tech blogger Brian Lam decided to make a website to help people buy gadgets. It wouldn't focus on reviewing every possible product in a category, but would instead answer the question "Which one of these should I buy?". Now, The Wirecutter has named its pick for best iPhone 5 case.

The Wirecutter had this to say in its extraordinarily detailed iPhone 5 case review:
Quote:
After trying out most of the iPhone cases currently on the market, I'm using the Switcheasy Tones to protect my iPhone 5. It's exceptionally durable and unobtrusive, and it's a great value at $25.

Unlike the iPhone 4/4S, the iPhone 5's perimeter band -- the outer edge that includes the sleep/wake button -- is made of aluminum, which scratches more easily and warrants a protective layer.

After getting a launch-day iPhone, I tested cases now available from every major brand. As of now, I've looked at all available models from: Belkin, Incase, Otterbox, Speck, STM, and Incipio. Other brands including Ballistic, Case-Mate, Element Case, Grove Made, and Griffin won't have samples ready until later, and I don't expect any of these cases on the horizon to be better than our current pick, based on reviews of past models with the same design as the upcoming cases.

With this first batch, I conducted drop tests, judged everyday usability, and evaluated each model's aesthetics. For the cases that are updates to previous generation models, I researched past reviews to spot design updates and improvements. I also spoke with other expert reviewers to see what they're using.

I looked specifically at slim, everyday-use cases, as opposed models with protection from severe trauma, many of which sacrifice compactness and usability. In this everyday-use category, and this should apply to a majority of iPhone 5 owners, a case needs to stand up to general use and abuse, like waist-high drops onto concrete, or a bouncy ride in a packed messenger bag.
The Switcheasy Tones is available for $24.99 in seven color options through Switcheasy's website.

Article Link: Wirecutter's Pick for Best iPhone 5 Case: The Switcheasy Tones
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Patriks7
macrumors 65816

Been a longtime fan and user of SwitchEasy products. I feel like they don't get enough praise, always try to recommend them to everyone.
Patriks7 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:05 PM   #3
KO95
macrumors newbie

AViiQ - Thin Series Cases.

Has anyone tried the AViiQ's thin series cases?
http://www.aviiq.com/collections/fro...-iphone-5-case

I believe that'll be my iPhone 5 case.
KO95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:08 PM   #4
rhp2424
macrumors member

I have this case and love it!
rhp2424 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:08 PM   #5
slicecom
macrumors 68000

The best case is the one Jonathan Ive designed.
slicecom is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:09 PM   #6
MsQueen
macrumors member

Lovely! And it's not bulky like the Otterbox. This may be 1st iPhone 5 case
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:09 PM   #7
barkmonster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicecom View Post
Would that be the one that isn't resistant to scratches and creates the need to house it in cases like this to prevent them? Genius design
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:10 PM   #8
zman2100
macrumors regular

Still going naked.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:11 PM   #9
BJB Productions
macrumors 6502a

I'm a huge Switcheasy fan, but I personally kinda thought the Tones looked rather ugly. Just my impression. Though, I'm sure it's great protection.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:11 PM   #10
slicecom
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkmonster View Post
Would that be the one that isn't resistant to scratches and creates the need to house it in cases like this to prevent them? Genius design
It performs quite amazingly in drop tests, and cases usually end up causing more scuffs than they prevent.
slicecom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:12 PM   #11
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

The price is great, the case is simple and nice ... I would buy it if I had the new iPhone for sure.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:14 PM   #12
Whatsit
macrumors newbie

I was happy with the InCase case I had for my 4 (I got it with the free case program) but have been enjoying going naked with my iPhone 5. I like the look and feel of the aluminum back. Haven't had any scratching problems with it. If so, I may change my mind. (And if so, the Tones case looks pretty good, IMO.) But I'm reasonably careful about not storing my phone in the same pocket with my keys.
Whatsit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:16 PM   #13
xxgilxx
macrumors regular

I'm going all the way. Griffin survivor. I have kids and butterfingers you know...
xxgilxx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:17 PM   #14
mcguim
macrumors newbie

I settled on the gear4 Thin Ice transparent case. It is really light and thin so doesn't make your iPhone feel too bulky a is reasonably priced. Really happy with it.
mcguim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:18 PM   #15
Nozuka
macrumors regular

"yay its still perfect under the cover - i just never get to see it"
Nozuka is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:20 PM   #16
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
Ghost Armor for me. Not quite naked, but naked enough.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:23 PM   #17
george-brooks
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicecom View Post
This.

I've had a case on all of my previous iPhones. The original because of its value, the 3G and 3Gs to prevent a broken screen (this was of course back when this was becoming a big issue, and for the record, the 3G broke anyway), the 4 and 4S to protect the glass back and for antennagate, but I've been going naked with my 5. I would prefer to have a case for protection, but the phone is so thin that I don't want to add any bulk to it at all, and imo, this is by far the most beautiful iPhone design yet. I want to show it off, at least for the time being.

A few nicks already around the edges, but no scratches on the back yet. I feel better knowing that I have AppleCare and can replace the phone for a small fee if I ever drop it and it sustains significant damage. Maybe I'll get a case when there are some more options I like, but for now I'm taking my chances and going naked!
george-brooks is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:23 PM   #18
slicecom
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozuka View Post
"yay its still perfect under the cover - i just never get to see it"
"... and when I sell it, I'll get 10% more for it... minus the cost of the case of course... "
slicecom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:27 PM   #19
Unggoy Murderer
macrumors 6502

I'm waiting for the TwelveSouth BookBook, the one for the 4/4S was fantastic. Don't get me wrong, pretty expensive (especially internationally) but it's the best case I've ever had for any of my phones.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:37 PM   #20
powaking
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO95 View Post
Has anyone tried the AViiQ's thin series cases?
http://www.aviiq.com/collections/fro...-iphone-5-case

I believe that'll be my iPhone 5 case.
I currently have an Incase for my iP4 that looks a lot like this one and love it. Will have to keep this one in mind.

http://goincase.com/products/detail/...e-cl59593#img1
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:44 PM   #21
troop231
macrumors 601

My favorite case right now is the Ballistic Smooth.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:48 PM   #22
The Mad Mule
macrumors member

Eh, looks about the same as the Rocketfish case I got at Best Buy for the same price.
The Mad Mule is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:53 PM   #23
Sky Blue

Who paid for this "news article"? Switcheasy or Wirecutter?
Sky Blue is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:54 PM   #24
roland.g
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by george-brooks View Post
This.

I've had a case on all of my previous iPhones. The original because of its value, the 3G and 3Gs to prevent a broken screen (this was of course back when this was becoming a big issue, and for the record, the 3G broke anyway), the 4 and 4S to protect the glass back and for antennagate, but I've been going naked with my 5. I would prefer to have a case for protection, but the phone is so thin that I don't want to add any bulk to it at all, and imo, this is by far the most beautiful iPhone design yet. I want to show it off, at least for the time being.

A few nicks already around the edges, but no scratches on the back yet. I feel better knowing that I have AppleCare and can replace the phone for a small fee if I ever drop it and it sustains significant damage. Maybe I'll get a case when there are some more options I like, but for now I'm taking my chances and going naked!
I use a skin. There are many out there. Zagg, WrapSol, XO, etc. The list is fairly extensive. I've used BSE - www.bestskinsever.com since the original iPhone and on my iPad and MacBook Air and find their product, application process, and most of all lower price better to the others. I only use the body version which wraps the band and back. I prefer to leave the screen free. The skin adds a little bit of extra grip which is nice. And gives me piece of mind against scratching. For those wanting something on the screen I suggest SGP Steinheil or PowerSupportUSA screen films which are slick and quite clear.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 04:02 PM   #25
ToomeyND
macrumors 6502

Camera Lense

I agree with going naked. Been doing it with my iPhone 4 for almost 2 years now. I agree with the idea that the great design should stand by itself.

That said, my camera is now totally scratched up because it is flush with the rest of the phone. I don't care about scratches on the back glass, but when all my photos are blurred because of scratches, I will seriously consider covering my next phone.
ToomeyND is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion