Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
Considering some competitors already used carbon fibre in their devices, because Apple's carbon fibre pattern will "zig" instead of the usual "zag", Apple can then boast that they were the first to use a completely new form of "superior material" to revolutionize the industry and appear like they actually invented carbon fibre device casing. I can just see the Jonathan Ives' video going on and on about how he spent years perfecting the perfect zip pattern that allowed him to create the most perfect device in this history of electronics.

However Apple's carbon fibre will be prone to easy scratching and chipping and Tim Cook will then claim that this is just an unavoidable property of the same crappy carbon fibre material used by everyone else in the industry and then quietly remove the language "superior material" from their online marketing and hope nobody notices. Maybe issue an apology letter if people complain enough.

I know you are trying to be snarky, but there are machines that "weave" 3D forms, body armor is an example, and it does make a difference in performance. Patents are definitely possible for the design and process.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Well, I could well be wrong... I did try to soften my statement with "supposedly", but your description doesn't negate what I had read, since it dealt with its use in thin extrusions. A ball of any material is going to be about as robust as it can be... a sphere of glass for example is going to be pretty strong, while a thin sheet of same will shatter quite readily.

Did a little digging, and found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquidmetal

So even if you're right about the current iteration of the technology, it's hardly worthy of an eye-roll, since at one time, I was right. :rolleyes:

In any case, I stand by the ultimate point of my statement, which was that a CF/LiquidMetal composite would be a killer material.

Liquidmetal and Vitreloy are commercial names of a series of amorphous metal alloys...

Based on the linked Wikipedia article, Viterloy appears to be a different alloy than LiquidMetal, though it's not entirely clear in that context. Regardless, I apologize for the eye-roll.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Could there be a link between this story and the one about design changes for the iPad Mini? Or is it too early in development for Apple to be using it in production devices? The previous news about Apple making orders too large to be just samples could hold a clue.

I wonder if Apple is trying to create something more scratch resistant, harder and lighter than anodized aluminum. This, combined with its smaller size compared to the iPad, could make the Mini much more appealing for holding in the hand (lighter and easier to grip).

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
That's what I'm thinking. Usually, CF is impregnated with clear resin like one does with fiberglass. What if instead, they fuse it with LiquidMetal?...

I've built carbon fiber parts. It is not roket science and you can do it at home with simple tools. you first make the part out of wood or clay or whatever then make a mould from the pattern part. Then the carbon and resin goes into the mold. But one easy step makes it look different. Mix pigment with the epoxy resin and paint that into the mold first. Then add the fiber and clear resin. When it coes out it looks like it's painted but the color is "deep" and can't flake off. In a factory you'd use spray equipment to coat the inside of the molds with a color coat but even the brushed in color looks good as any brush marks are embedded inside the part.

The only reason to use clear resin is you you can inspect the final part for air bubble or other defects. Or the pigment adds weight but no strength. So you only use it where it shows.

Pianoblack3

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
Scotland

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Late last month, Macotakara reported that Apple had ordered carbon fiber components for an unknown product from a Japanese company. The order was said to be too large to simply be a sample, but no other details on the part were revealed.
Tim Cook: We order the main part of this cowl from Singapore.
Jonathan Ive: Via a dummy corporation.
Tim: Indeed. And then, quite separately we place an order to a Chinese company for these.
Jon: Put it together ourselves.
Tim: Precisely.
Jon: They'll have to be large orders, to avoid suspicion.
Tim: How large?
Jon: Say 10,000.
Tim: Well, at least we'll have spares.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Years ago, IIRC, Apple patented a process for bonding a metal skin to a composite material. Basically gluing a thin sheet of aluminum to a lightweight fiber reinforced polymer, possibly carbon fiber reinforced polymer. That would produce an appearance like the current MacBook Pro / Air aluminum shell. But the structure could be even stronger, thinner, and lighter.

Not sure how recyclable carbon fiber is, though. Especially when an aluminum skin is glued to it. And then there's the high energy cost of autoclaving the carbon fiber sheets...

Jiz

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2011
If the product is lighter, thinner & stronger, APPLE will want to use it.
I don't see the need for carbon fiber in stationary products like the iMac or TV.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
27 inch? Oh man imagine putting that on your lap. Ouch! Something with the screen size of an A4 page would do me.

If that came on a rolling stand like the ones they have in hospitals it could kind of hover over the legs.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
For all we know - they could be trying to decide whether or not they want carbon fiber desks in their workstations and this order has nothing to do with a customer product at all

axual

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007
Hmm ...

I'm not that interested in this for a device ... but I would like most of the metal on my vehicle made of this to lighten up the load.

nickgri

macrumors member
May 9, 2011
Carbon vs. Basalt

Basalt fibers made from volcanic rock would be much cheaper. It does NOT shatter as easily as carbon-looks about the same and does NOT conduct electricity like carbon. It can be woven into whatever look they need and is a "green" recyclable fiber-non-respirable.
Carbon is a little lighter but way overkill for most things and expensive.
http://www.basalt-mesh-fiber.com/

shyataroo

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2003
Hell... Wanna join me?
Apple should skip carbon fiber altogether, and go straight for graphene. Apple can use that 100 billion dollars in cash to further Carbon nanotube research several years. Hell if apple wants to make the iPhone any thinner than what it is now, carbon nanotubes would be the way to go. they could make the entire thing out of carbon nanotubes/graphene andit would be faster than any other phone out there... hell with graphene processors it would be faster than any personal computer out there. JUST IMAGINE THE IMPACT ON THE ENTIRE WORLD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.