Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
To be honest, I don't think Carbon Fibre is that attractive, it's like brushed metal… it could so easily be fake.

Ever seen carbon fiber bikes or bike parts? Most of them do not show a carbon fiber weave (unless they want it to). They can be easily coated with whatever you like. The main advantages of carbon fiber is not the look, but the weight savings and strength. Also, it allows better wireless transmission than aluminum.

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Looked at the picture before the title, thought apple was going to make tires :p

"They only last 5,000 Miles and are $800 a tire but people still buy them because the look good."

Yeah, and with a proprietary, chip-authenticated air valve that is incompatible with all gas station air hoses. Adapters will be available at $30/valve.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Really? Never use an iPhone? The Woven textures on notification center, pinstripes in settings. It fits in.

But still, ever seen raw unidirectional weave carbon? It has a very uniform nice look.

You're talking about software interfaces. Totally different than hardware aesthetics in this case.

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
regarding this

i was in schenectady new york a few years back visiting a company that worked with carbon fiber weaving and they demoed a number of of various applications and systems. the company ceo mentioned that they were in talks with apple on the then would-be ipad 2 to use their carbon fiber as a ring that either went around the screen or possibly around the device's edge. he revealed this excitedly but refrained from disclosing anything else. to my knowledge no ipad has used this, but that's my 2 cents

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
iPad 4 or maybe new larger iPad. They would need to maintain strength but reduce weight if they're going to produce larger screen iPads to replace the laptop. 15" iPad. Oh yes!

macidiot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Obviously

It's for Batman. BTW, Bruce Wayne, a billionaire CEO, was declared dead, only he wasn't actually dead. Hmm....

Alfred Pennyworth: [referring to ordering the separate cowl pieces from Asia] They'll have to be, uh, large orders, uh, to avoid suspicion.
Bruce Wayne: How large?
Alfred Pennyworth: Say, uh, 10,000.
Bruce Wayne: Well, at least we'll have spares.
[Alfred smashes a prototype cowl with a baseball bat]
Alfred Pennyworth: It's a problem with the graphite, sir. The next 10,000 will be up to specifications.
Bruce Wayne: At least they gave us a discount.
Alfred Pennyworth: Quite. In the, uh, meantime, Sir, may I suggest you try to avoid landing on your head?

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
iPad 4 or maybe new larger iPad. They would need to maintain strength but reduce weight if they're going to produce larger screen iPads to replace the laptop. 15" iPad. Oh yes!

I am ready, always wanted a 27 inch laptop/ipad.

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
The eventual release of the Apple Television should have a carbon fiber body. Here's why:

The only thing better than a flat screen is a wall mounted flat screen. But how many people don't wall mount? It's a lot of work. You have all that drilling and installing a mounting bracket... I know... it's not THAT crazy (I've done it several times), but many people just don't. They leave it on the base that it comes with. Now what if Apple found a way to make the TV so light that you could hang it with nail (like a picture) or they come up with some crazy simple way to hang a super light television that's more secure than a nail but less pain than a traditional wall mount? They would have reinvented wall-mounting and put it into everyone's hands. This isn't THE killer feature, but it's a feature and it's something that no competitor has done. Another thing for the news to talk about. Combine the fact that they've been removing layers on their mobile screens and making them thinner and you've got potential of a big screen that weighs 3lbs. I think they will still ship it with a base, or if they're REALLY confident then they'll charge you for the "base accessory".

This light wall hanging feature informs a lot more of the design. I'd like to see a beautiful carbon fiber body and AC adaptor that is able to beam power a short distance to the TV for no wires at all (here's to the crazy ones), in addition to the apps and beautiful software.

Listen, we're not going to get the great shows that people love without the cable networks and the cable networks have no reason to give it up. They make a lot of money. This is not like the flailing music industry was before iTunes came along. Apple is not going to reinvent the distribution. It's the design, it's the interface, and it's the use cases. Big push on FaceTime. Big push on wall-mounting, wireless power, and design. Big push on apps. Big push on gaming. This could be a boon to podcasting for free content, putting further pressure on content makers to go direct and then finally we will have a la carte show buying. But for now, reinventing everything besides the distribution is enough for a hit.

a.phoenicis

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Likely will be coated, or re-worked to Apple's standards.

Maybe something to do with Liquidmetal and Carbon Fibre together?

That's what I'm thinking. Usually, CF is impregnated with clear resin like one does with fiberglass. What if instead, they fuse it with LiquidMetal?

One of the drawbacks of the LiquidMetal material was that it was supposedly brittle and shatter-prone... but in a CF matrix... that would be freakin' awesome.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
The eventual release of the Apple Television should have a carbon fiber body. Here's why:

I think most of the weight in large (flat screen) TVs are the screen itself (especially plasma), electronics, power supply (and maybe fans/motors). I don't know that the cost of CF vs. the weight savings would be all that great. Plus I would still think it would have some sort of metal based internal skeletal structure for mounting/grounding points[?]

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
That's what I'm thinking. Usually, CF is impregnated with clear resin like one does with fiberglass. What if instead, they fuse it with LiquidMetal?

One of the drawbacks of the LiquidMetal material was that it was supposedly brittle and shatter-prone... but in a CF matrix... that would be freakin' awesome.

:confused: Really. That's why one of their earliest public demos of LiquidMetal involved having a ball of it dropped onto a hard surface and bounce repeatedly (while two balls of other substances, like stainless steel stopped bouncing sooner).

It's "brittle and shatter-prone". :rolleyes:

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Recycling?

Say what you want about aluminium, but at least it can be recycled practically indefinitely. I don't even know if carbon fiber can't be recycled at all.

Given the quantities of Apple devices manufactured, switching from aluminium to carbon fiber could possibly be the worst decision ever done by Apple.

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
I'll go with the iMac group. It is probably a logical move, with reduced costs over aluminum. Lower costs would be nice, as would increased performance.

The iMac appears to me tho be the best desktop for the change.

What we need now is a product announcement.

a.phoenicis

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2006
Raleigh, NC
:confused: Really. That's why one of their earliest public demos of LiquidMetal involved having a ball of it dropped onto a hard surface and bounce repeatedly (while two balls of other substances, like stainless steel stopped bouncing sooner).

Well, I could well be wrong... I did try to soften my statement with "supposedly", but your description doesn't negate what I had read, since it dealt with its use in thin extrusions. A ball of any material is going to be about as robust as it can be... a sphere of glass for example is going to be pretty strong, while a thin sheet of same will shatter quite readily.

Did a little digging, and found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquidmetal

However, the early casting methods introduced microscopic flaws that were excellent sites for crack propagation, and led to Vitreloy being fragile, like glass. Although strong, these early batches could easily be shattered if struck. Newer casting methods, adjustment to the alloy mixtures and other changes have improved this.

One of the first commercial uses of Liquidmetal was in golf clubs made by the company, where the highly elastic metal was used in portions of the face of the club. These were highly rated by users, but the product was later dropped, in part because the prototypes shattered after fewer than 40 hits.

So even if you're right about the current iteration of the technology, it's hardly worthy of an eye-roll, since at one time, I was right. :rolleyes:

In any case, I stand by the ultimate point of my statement, which was that a CF/LiquidMetal composite would be a killer material.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
The only problem with this theory is that most TV's are already made of plastic. Which means they are as light as they can be already. CF is usually used to replace components that made of metal for their rigidity. A TV is stationary 99% of the time and is unlikely to require such efforts. All the CF efforts in the I.T industry so far have been for cosmetic purposes. Laptops is the only viable product as they are constantly being carried around and dropped in bags etc.

The only thing better than a flat screen is a wall mounted flat screen. But how many people don't wall mount? It's a lot of work. You have all that drilling and installing a mounting bracket... I know... it's not THAT crazy (I've done it several times), but many people just don't. They leave it on the base that it comes with. Now what if Apple found a way to make the TV so light that you could hang it with nail (like a picture) or they come up with some crazy simple way to hang a super light television that's more secure than a nail but less pain than a traditional wall mount? They would have reinvented wall-mounting and put it into everyone's hands. This isn't THE killer feature, but it's a feature and it's something that no competitor has done. Another thing for the news to talk about. Combine the fact that they've been removing layers on their mobile screens and making them thinner and you've got potential of a big screen that weighs 3lbs. I think they will still ship it with a base, or if they're REALLY confident then they'll charge you for the "base accessory".

This light wall hanging feature informs a lot more of the design. I'd like to see a beautiful carbon fiber body and AC adaptor that is able to beam power a short distance to the TV for no wires at all (here's to the crazy ones), in addition to the apps and beautiful software.

Listen, we're not going to get the great shows that people love without the cable networks and the cable networks have no reason to give it up. They make a lot of money. This is not like the flailing music industry was before iTunes came along. Apple is not going to reinvent the distribution. It's the design, it's the interface, and it's the use cases. Big push on FaceTime. Big push on wall-mounting, wireless power, and design. Big push on apps. Big push on gaming. This could be a boon to podcasting for free content, putting further pressure on content makers to go direct and then finally we will have a la carte show buying. But for now, reinventing everything besides the distribution is enough for a hit.

a.phoenicis

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2006
Raleigh, NC
The only problem with this theory is that most TV's are already made of plastic. Which means they are as light as they can be already. CF is usually used to replace components that made of metal for their rigidity. A TV is stationary 99% of the time and is unlikely to require such efforts. All the CF efforts in the I.T industry so far have been for cosmetic purposes. Laptops is the only viable product as they are constantly being carried around and dropped in bags etc.

Also, the heavy parts of TVs are not the outer cases, but the internal components, and the LCD Panel itself.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Baloney!

I don't think it will be visible to the consumer. Carbon fiber doesn't match their design aesthetic. The woven look is antithetical to many of the pure, smooth surfaces apple uses.

First we don't even know if the woven surface is visible. Second, a woven surface gives a device an organic feel. Considering some of the design cues in iOS 6 Apple may very well want to give future devices a different "feel". Frankly a feel could be a real physical quantity as a textured surface on something like iPad Mini would lead to better handling.

The smooth metal surfaces we have today are the result of the machining processes involved. That doesn't mean they are the optimal surfaces for hand held devices. Think about common hand tools and the efforts gone into designs over the years to make their use compatible with the human hand.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Of course they will

Considering some competitors already used carbon fibre in their devices, because Apple's carbon fibre pattern will "zig" instead of the usual "zag", Apple can then boast that they were the first to use a completely new form of "superior material" to revolutionize the industry and appear like they actually invented carbon fibre device casing. I can just see the Jonathan Ives' video going on and on about how he spent years perfecting the perfect zip pattern that allowed him to create the most perfect device in this history of electronics.

However Apple's carbon fibre will be prone to easy scratching and chipping and Tim Cook will then claim that this is just an unavoidable property of the same crappy carbon fibre material used by everyone else in the industry and then quietly remove the language "superior material" from their online marketing and hope nobody notices. Maybe issue an apology letter if people complain enough.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
Well, I could well be wrong... I did try to soften my statement with "supposedly", but your description doesn't negate what I had read, since it dealt with its use in thin extrusions. A ball of any material is going to be about as robust as it can be... a sphere of glass for example is going to be pretty strong, while a thin sheet of same will shatter quite readily.

Did a little digging, and found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquidmetal

So even if you're right about the current iteration of the technology, it's hardly worthy of an eye-roll, since at one time, I was right. :rolleyes:

In any case, I stand by the ultimate point of my statement, which was that a CF/LiquidMetal composite would be a killer material.

Might have to go with a higher temp ceramic fiber (basalt or boron as examples) due to the Liquid Metal process temperatures. Or not. Either way, it looks like a metal infusion process of a fiber preform.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003

Not sure this says anything for or against it being shatter proof, but in that demo i think it was the surface the balls were bouncing on that was various materials (steel, liquid metal, titanium) while the balls themselves were all one material (steel?).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.