Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2002
The Desert
I went around with my iPhone 4 naked for two years; my wife said it was like going around holding a raw egg. Not a mark on it, until the moment she borrowed it from me and dropped it.....

Now I have the iPhone 5 naked, but it is staying in my pocket!

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
The switcheasy was my favorite case for my 4. The fit was the best and the included accessories over the top (ie. stand). The protection was excellent too. I'll be buying one for my next phone.

Hot Karl

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2009
Midwest
Occasional Covers?

I have been keeping my iPhone 5 naked too for all of the good reasons stated above. I have been in the market for an occasional case - that is, a pouch, folder, or wallet that I could put the phone into when I know I will be stowing it away for travel, putting it into a briefcase, or otherwise letting it out of my hand or pocket. Something along the lines of the following. Has anybody found a good solution?

http://store.griffintechnology.com/dapper-sleeve-by-otis-james-iphone-5

http://www.shophex.com/shop/cases/iphone-5/axis-wallet-for-iphone-5

http://www.vajacases.com/iphone-5-leather-cases/stock-iphone-5-leather-cases/stock-iphone-5-matelasse-nn

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I don't want to buy these from their website.

Any news of them coming to Amazon?

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'm waiting for the TwelveSouth BookBook, the one for the 4/4S was fantastic. Don't get me wrong, pretty expensive (especially internationally) but it's the best case I've ever had for any of my phones.

Im with you... I want the new BookBook for my iPhone 5... and I will get it for my next iPad (whether it be the Mini or the iPad 4)

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I need one with a holster so I usually end up with an OtterBox Defender. I used another model that I can't remember off the top of my head for my 3 series iPhones and was horrified to see that the hard plastic hinge insides had worn two gouges in the plastic back. Deep ones too, relatively speaking. Aside from that, the phone was spotless.

Still, the OtterBox Defender series have gotten much better than the first incarnation and have saved me countless times from drops and scrapes... I even use their iPad case and, although it's biggish, it protects well and has survived numerous flights and rides in my tool bag...

Not that there aren't any potentially better cases out there with holsters, but these seem to last and protect without being too heavy. To each their own...

How many holster cases are out on the market? Last time I looked, I didn't find more than the OtterBox and a Dolce and Gabanna thing...

----------

I like my phones like I like my women: naked, slim ... and on mute.

Don't have much luck with that, huh...

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
The new, thinner front touch-screen is much more susceptible to breakage than the 4/4S. There are many who have already shattered the front glass in situations that previous models easily brushed off.

wheres your data on this?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Looks like a nice case. I'll give it a try. I too prefer to have my iPhone naked, but I know eventually I'll drop it - so usually I keep it in a case, and then occasionly use it naked for a spell.

laidbacknate

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
The best case is the one Jonathan Ive designed.

Jon Ive designed a great case, but if you plan on using your iPhone "naked" then prepare to accept the scratches and dings that will appear all over the aluminum casing.

Sure, I love the look of my iPhone 5, but I also like being able to set it down on a counter top without risking permanent damage. How about Ghost Armor? Slim profile, hardly noticeable, supremely durable. Or even a clear case if you just like the way it looks.

iPhone 5 is great, looks great, feels great in the hand, but I also want it to last. Rollin' naked is for the supremely brave, and/or supremely stupid. :cool:

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Liking the case, but my just go with a clear cover inorder keep the look of the phone.

----------

Jon Ive designed a great case, but if you plan on using your iPhone "naked" then prepare to accept the scratches and dings that will appear all over the aluminum casing.

Sure, I love the look of my iPhone 5, but I also like being able to set it down on a counter top without risking permanent damage. How about Ghost Armor? Slim profile, hardly noticeable, supremely durable. Or even a clear case if you just like the way it looks.

iPhone 5 is great, looks great, feels great in the hand, but I also want it to last. Rollin' naked is for the supremely brave, and/or supremely stupid. :cool:

link for slim profile?

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Well the iPhone was the first phone I've had that is metal. Well, and come to think of it, it's the first phone I've had that is glass too. They've come a long way from the original all plastic iPhone.

All of the other pretenders are predominantly plastic. I give it to Apple for switching things up and trying different materials and combinations to keep it interesting. I am waiting for a carbon fiber iPhone. THAT would be interesting to see, and I imagine a real bugger on the QC side.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Rollin' naked is for the supremely brave, and/or supremely stupid. :cool:

But there are people that buy SUV's and aside from the occasional dirt clod or tire tracks left from a landscaping truck, never ever see ANY off road action. That's not to say that they shouldn't have bought an SUV, I'm sure they have their reasons, but theirs will make a great score on the used market with no dents and scratches and stress of off road use. Some people buy mobile phones and they never see anything but their ear, and their pants/suit coat pocket. And some people just expect some wear to show on their products. Still I wonder if the aluminum is coated properly. Wouldn't hard anodizing cause the surface to be more durable? Is that material actually stainless steel, or aluminum? Aluminum would scratch a lot easier than stainless... Stainless would be harder to permanently color. Maybe they should have used a hard anodized aluminum instead, unless the reason for the metal plate is to add stiffness/rigidity almost as an afterthought...

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Whoops, you're right. Embarassing. It's/Its is my biggest grammar fault.

You could have just said, "Its my biggest grammar fault.", and he would have corrected it for you. :p :D

----------

Are you kidding? You want empirical data? Ok. (here's a quick one, read the comments: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-5...en-iphone-5-screens-in-the-store-says-report/ )

Placing that aside, and foregoing that google is your own friend, how about the latest news that Foxconn is slowing production due to the poor anodization of the back:

Increased iPhone 5 Quality Control Standards to Address Scratches Slowing Production

Neither of those articles even *claims* to present empirical data about the iPhone 5 screen being easier to break. (I'm thinking you don't know what 'empirical data' means.)

cuskit

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
it's > its

it's > its

If you "hate to be that guy" - then don't! I bet you feel SO much better now that you posted your corrections...

I know that I gave a HUGE sigh of relief when I noticed that somebody had finally caught those two errors.. NOT!!! :D

Sigh...

cuskit

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
I'm extremely interested in this case - I have this "need" to keep as slim as possible and this case does seem to address that issue nicely.

However... I also need a holster (pockets are not an option - I'm a tradesman and often kneeling, lying down, rolling over, etc.) and with the holster I find it easier to remember to remove it when doing any of these activities. Time back I broke my Droid (in my pocket, out of sight - out of mind) while rolling over to my back (installing some kitchen base cabinets).

Which brings me to this question: Any chance this will fit into the Verizon "Shell/Holster Combo"? That is my present protection but I'm not real comfortable with this cover as it leaves the top and bottom front edges exposed (I believe this is where the antennas are located?)..

HERO XXL

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Im with you... I want the new BookBook for my iPhone 5... and I will get it for my next iPad (whether it be the Mini or the iPad 4)

Bought the Book Book last time and hardly EVER took it out--HANDS DOWN one of the best cases I've ever owned.

...but the wait is too much to bear--especially with all the scuffing stories--I purchased a flimsy replica to hold me over--but it doesn't provide the protection that the Book Book did in case of an accidental drop, so I decided to jump on the replicas that ARE available now. I purchased a NAVOR iPhone 4 case for my wife's 4S and was REALLY surprised at its' quality--plus it had the hole for the camera (something I hated about the Book Book). Their version for the 5 was released yesterday and I've already placed my order this morning AND it has already shipped!!

I also purchased another replica off ebay--both of them were under $25 and came in both brown and black. I REALLY tried to hold out for the Book Book, but if something happened to the phone prior to whenever they get around to releasing it, I'd be pissed off at self for waiting.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I also purchased another replica off ebay--both of them were under $25 and came in both brown and black. I REALLY tried to hold out for the Book Book, but if something happened to the phone prior to whenever they get around to releasing it, I'd be pissed off at self for waiting.

When you get them... Let me know how the quality is if you don't mind.

Links? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.