Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AllThingsD reports that Apple appears to be planning to hold a media event on Tuesday, October 23 to introduce the "iPad mini", Apple's smaller tablet device said to be carrying a display measuring 7.85 inches diagonally.
As AllThingsD reported in August, Apple will hold a special event this month at which it will showcase a new, smaller iPad. People familiar with Apple's plans tell us that the company will unveil the so-called "iPad mini" on October 23 at an invitation-only event.

That's a Tuesday, not a Wednesday, so this is a bit of a break with recent tradition. It also happens to be just three days prior to the street date for Microsoft's new Surface tablet.
ipadmini_small.jpg
Physical mockup of rumored iPad mini design
The location of the event is unconfirmed, but the report suggests that it is likely to be held at the company's Town Hall auditorium at its corporate headquarters in Cupertino, California.

AllThingsD has an excellent track record regarding Apple media event rumors, giving this claim a high probability of proving true. Given past history, Apple would be expected to send out invitations early next week if the event is to be held on October 23.

Update: The Loop's Jim Dalrymple weighs in, confirming the date with a "Yep."

Article Link: Apple's 'iPad Mini' Media Event Reportedly Scheduled for October 23

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Woohoo - been waiting on a kindle paperwhite because this may be better :D

I like the small form factor for reading, its easier to use commuting but the iPad is more useful just the current incarnation is a bit bigger then I need

Illusion986

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
I would like smaller size for games and such but for actual work 10" seems better. But since iPad does not have apps that are good for my work iPad mini would be more attractive choice for me.

mtrctyjoe

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2005
Motor City (Detroit, not Tokyo)
Still can't understand how they will price it ...

With the new iPod Touch coming in at a whopping $299!!!! Where are they going to price this thing?? ... not sure I would pay $299 for it ... and I definitely have no plans to get a $300-$400 iPod Touch... Maybe the fancy strap adds $100+ to the cost of the touch?

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Smaller more portable than the current ipad but wifi only with last years tech. Fail.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Very excited about the possibility of a iPad mini and I will be ordering one from the on-line store just as soon as it is released. I am glad now that I held off getting a Nexus 7.

email2markt

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2008
Woohoo, i'm not at all interested in the iPad mini, but more interested that it might mean a silent update to iMacs!

NIKKG

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
Didn't you guys say a couple weeks ago that the invitations would go out on Oct. 10? Seems like your sources aren't that reliable.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Woohoo - been waiting on a kindle paperwhite because this may be better :D

I like the small form factor for reading, its easier to use commuting but the iPad is more useful just the current incarnation is a bit bigger then I need

I'm loving my Paperwhite a lot. I tend to get too distracted to do other things when I read on the iPad which is why I like the dedicated e-reader. I leave the iPad/iPhone away from me when reading so I can stay more focused.

I think the iPad Mini will fill a void in the market for small, less expensive tablets that people have been clamoring for. This will be a good business move for Apple's continued dominance in the mobile market.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm loving my Paperwhite a lot. I tend to get too distracted to do other things when I read on the iPad which is why I like the dedicated e-reader. I leave the iPad/iPhone away from me when reading so I can stay more focused.

I think the iPad Mini will fill a void in the market for small, less expensive tablets that people have been clamoring for. This will be a good business move for Apple's continued dominance in the mobile market.

If the cost is close, then I think the mini is my choice but I enjoy using the kindle, I just have one knock on it - the kindle does poorly in low light situations that's where the paperwhite comes in.

I like the versatility of the iPad so if its in a smaller form factor that may push me in that direction

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011
what were the dimensions of that mock up?

wanting to see if it's wide enough to grip comfortably in one hand

Northwestern

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2011
I was going to wait until the end of october before I buy an iPad 3, but I am more interested in a smaller iPad. I use my parents iPad 2 and it's to heavy to read and hold it with one hand.

With a small iPad I could lay on the sofa and read my ebooks of interest by holding the iPad mini with one hand like I can do with a paperback.

I read more and more ebooks, because they are cheaper, no trees have to be cut to the ground and I can simply order them by on click at Amazon.

Hopefully iKindle will support on release the iPad mini, because iBooks is slow, inconvenient and hasn't Mac or Windows support. I like and support Apples hardware and OS, but their apps and programs aren't mostly the best.

And hopefully the iPad mini has a SIM card slot for mobile internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.