Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:48 AM   #51
NightFox
macrumors 65816
 
NightFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Shropshire, UK
Ah well, guess I was wrong in guessing Apple would just but Switzerland.
__________________
2013 Mac Pro 6x3.5GHz :: MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz :: iPad 3 64GB :: iPho... Oh, you've gone.
NightFox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:49 AM   #52
GorgonPhone
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabingla2810 View Post
Good to see. It's such a cool clock design.
no its boring and a damn waste of money.. apple needs to re do the entire IOS ui please
__________________
 2009 21" iMac  2011 MacBook Pro 13" i5 +  2006 21" HD Cinema Display
 iPhone4S 16Gig  iPhone5 16Gig  iPad3 16Gig
GorgonPhone is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:50 AM   #53
Quazimojo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Auburn Hills,Mi
Sure you can use our clock.

For 1 billion dollars .

Quazimojo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:51 AM   #54
sportsfan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
I still wonder if either Apple didn't know that their clock was so close to the Swiss Railway design or just didn't care??
I've just been wondering if Apple or the designer who updated the clock just didn't know it was under trademark?
sportsfan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:53 AM   #55
NightFox
macrumors 65816
 
NightFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Shropshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blorzoga View Post
I guess I licensed mine when I bought it.
Mondaine watches are actually licensed to use the design (hence with Swiss Railway branding on the face!). The design might not look anything special, but if you ask anyone who has any slight interest in clock design they'll probably tell you the Swiss Railway clock design is probably the most iconic in the world.

There's also the symbolic association with Switzerland and its reputation for punctuality and accuracy.
__________________
2013 Mac Pro 6x3.5GHz :: MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz :: iPad 3 64GB :: iPho... Oh, you've gone.

Last edited by NightFox; Oct 12, 2012 at 09:02 AM.
NightFox is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:53 AM   #56
Gravity
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunjine View Post
People say this all the time and, well, they're pretty much always wrong.

I'm not saying this to have a go at you so please don't take this personally, but great, iconic designs, the simple ones that last for generations, they are the hardest to create - if they weren't then we'd all be doing it!

You see it as generic now, but that's only a measure of how successful it has become. Just how so many say that swipe to unlock is generic, or pinch to zoom... accept people were blown away by the simplicity of them, the implementation was so perfect and so natural that they left everyone scratching their heads and asking "why didn't I think of that?!"

This clock design is iconic and, no, you probably couldn't have designed it. Nor could I. If I could design stuff like this, I'd be a richer man than I am today.

I happen to be a veteran graphic designer. I've actually done a few clock faces in my day, so YES, this is a very basic and derivative design that I might have started out with. It follows all the rules of basic, functional design. But since I find it dull, I wouldn't use it. And I can't remember the last time I said "why didn't I think of that??" .... because in my mind, the Pet Rock was a dumb idea... the Baby on Board car window sign doesn't inspire me... But I did have a moment where I thought I may have been ripped off. I submitted a game board design to hasbro through an associate. It was rejected, but within 18 months, a new, round monopoly game board came out that seemed to borrow elements and ideas from my board. I can't prove it beyond a comparison of the two boards, but it's made me more careful.
__________________
I never met a mac I didn't like.
Gravity is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:54 AM   #57
Morky
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
This is a clock-face that I could have designed. It's so basic and derivative. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple's designer came up with it on his/her own coincidentally. But yeah, it would look like a total ripoff if it weren't so generic. I would have rejected this design.
I think it's a great design. There is something incredibly clear about it. I don't think you could have designed it any more than you could have designed the iPhone 5. Good design is deceptively simple.
Morky is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:56 AM   #58
Saladinos
macrumors 68000
 
Saladinos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabingla2810 View Post
It's design seems so obvious only in hindsight.

This is one beautiful clock face.
Apple know the value of good design. Not surprised they settled quickly when an infringement was identified.
Saladinos is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:56 AM   #59
unplugme71
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Good View Post
OK. I realize that this is just my personal opinion, but I think the clock is ugly as sin.

The Swiss railway authority should be embarrassed to about their clock.

The Swiss Railway Authority should be paying Apple a hefty sum for using such an ugly icon.

Now, I must admit that I have no use for a clock with no numbers on it. When I buy a new watch which I do about every four or five years, it must have arabic numerals on it. Not hash marks, not Roman Numerals, but Arabic numerals. I want to be able to look at my watch, or clock, and know what time it is. I do not want to have to sit there and count hash marks to figure out what time it is.

Of course, your mileage may vary. If you like the clock, then I am happy for you and I hope you live a long and happy life.
If you can't figure out how to tell time on a watch without numbers or hashes by now, you should really try learning. This is a similar watch that I have and I can tell you the time without staring at it.

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/eng/Men...dtaylor/158273
unplugme71 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:56 AM   #60
till213
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Good View Post
I do not want to have to sit there and count hash marks to figure out what time it is.
So basically you're admitting that you're a freakin' idi0t who can't read watches and furthermore completely ignore the subtle difference between looking at a watch from about 20 metres away (railway watch - and STILL being able to tell the time from that distance!) and from about 50 cm (wrist watch)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Good View Post
Of course, your mileage may vary. If you like the clock, then I am happy for you and I hope you live a long and happy life.
If you don't have other problems than not being able to read watches then I am happy for you and I hope you live a long and happy life. And don't bother us anymore with your nonsense.
till213 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:58 AM   #61
FrankyCH
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
This is a clock-face that I could have designed.
Only thing is, this clock was designed in 1944, and has been part of our culture ever since.

Cheers
F
FrankyCH is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:58 AM   #62
Zunjine
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
I happen to be a veteran graphic designer. I've actually done a few clock faces in my day, so YES, this is a very basic and derivative design that I might have started out with. It follows all the rules of basic, functional design. But since I find it dull, I wouldn't use it. And I can't remember the last time I said "why didn't I think of that??" .... because in my mind, the Pet Rock was a dumb idea... the Baby on Board car window sign doesn't inspire me... But I did have a moment where I thought I may have been ripped off. I submitted a game board design to hasbro through an associate. It was rejected, but within 18 months, a new, round monopoly game board came out that seemed to borrow elements and ideas from my board. I can't prove it beyond a comparison of the two boards, but it's made me more careful.
Fair enough.

That said, what you see as derivative is likely only the fact that so many have copied this design since it was created.
Zunjine is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:00 AM   #63
till213
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blorzoga View Post
I guess I licensed mine when I bought it.
You didn't - but Mondaine did.
till213 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:05 AM   #64
Blorzoga
macrumors 68020
 
Blorzoga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by till213 View Post
You didn't - but Mondaine did.
Wrong, I paid for the watch and therefore the license to display it on my wrist.
Blorzoga is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:06 AM   #65
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
It doesn't matter if you think it's a basic design, could have designed it yourself, etc. Funny that some of the same people who defend every single one of Apple's patents - even the ones derivative or so easy a 2 year old could have come up with the design - think that Apple having to license this is silly.
samcraig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:07 AM   #66
Blorzoga
macrumors 68020
 
Blorzoga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
This clock is also on the iphone.
Blorzoga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:07 AM   #67
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816
 
Gemütlichkeit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Nice work Apple
__________________
"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no God." -Thomas Jefferson
Gemütlichkeit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:09 AM   #68
nick_elt
macrumors 68000
 
nick_elt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
Are you seriously implying the clock is an artistic design? It's not.
Well it is,

just like all art it devides opinions, you dont like it, I do.
nick_elt is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:09 AM   #69
mrobit
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Now why can't all companies get along nicely like this?
mrobit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:09 AM   #70
doctor-don
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Georgia USA
So when I cut out hands for my own clock with a battery-powered movement I bought at a local store, do I have to license the design from any other company that may have a similar clock face?
doctor-don is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:10 AM   #71
sineplex
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Waste of money
yes, such a waste of Apples Billions... like a pencil shaving.
sineplex is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:13 AM   #72
haruhiko
macrumors 68030
 
haruhiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Good View Post
OK. I realize that this is just my personal opinion, but I think the clock is ugly as sin.

The Swiss railway authority should be embarrassed to about their clock.

The Swiss Railway Authority should be paying Apple a hefty sum for using such an ugly icon.

Now, I must admit that I have no use for a clock with no numbers on it. When I buy a new watch which I do about every four or five years, it must have arabic numerals on it. Not hash marks, not Roman Numerals, but Arabic numerals. I want to be able to look at my watch, or clock, and know what time it is. I do not want to have to sit there and count hash marks to figure out what time it is.

Of course, your mileage may vary. If you like the clock, then I am happy for you and I hope you live a long and happy life.
your intelligence must be quite different than most of the people.
__________________
Mac: rMBP'12, iMac'08/24", Mini'09, MBP'10/15", MBA'11/13". iPhone: 5s/64S 5/64B, 4S/64W, 4/32B, 3GS/16. iPT: 3G,1G. iPad: Air,Mini2,4,3/LTE/64 2/3G/32, 1/WiFi/16. ATV'12,'11, AEBS'09, TC'13/2TB
haruhiko is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:13 AM   #73
Blorzoga
macrumors 68020
 
Blorzoga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor-don View Post
So when I cut out hands for my own clock with a battery-powered movement I bought at a local store, do I have to license the design from any other company that may have a similar clock face?
If it's identical to a copyright-protected design and you intend to sell it, then yes, you do have to license it.
Blorzoga is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:17 AM   #74
Gravity
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
Well it is,

just like all art it devides opinions, you dont like it, I do.
Okay... here's how I define 'art.' If it's something I could copy PERFECTLY in illustrator by having GLANCED at it ONCE... it's not art. Its design is minimal and functional. I think it's an effective design... high contrast with black on white and with varied weights. The red second hand easily separates from the black lines and the white background... and the red dot at the end of the second hand makes it easy to find from a distance. It's A form that follows a function. That's all. And if I were asked to design a clock on those principles and was a in a hurry... a design VERY MUCH like this one would be the first stab.

A master painting hanging in the louvre? DeVinci? Art. Picasso? Art. A basic clock face that is similar to ones I had in my grammar school? Meh.
__________________
I never met a mac I didn't like.
Gravity is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:18 AM   #75
doctor-don
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Georgia USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugme71 View Post
If you can't figure out how to tell time on a watch without numbers or hashes by now, you should really try learning. This is a similar watch that I have and I can tell you the time without staring at it.

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/eng/Men...dtaylor/158273
Some people grew up with digital time and timepieces / clocks. For them, reading a watch face with hash marks without numerals is a problem - because they never learned to do that. They don't wear watches, either, using their phones to see what time it is.
doctor-don is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac Swiss Clock marysville Mac Applications and Mac App Store 6 Sep 1, 2013 04:21 PM
No Swiss clock on my iOS 6 iPhone 4 patent10021 iOS 6 10 Dec 30, 2012 01:08 PM
Apple Reportedly Paid $21 Million for Rights to Swiss Railways Clock Design MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 241 Nov 13, 2012 08:35 PM
Swiss Federal Railways Says Apple Copied Its Iconic Railway Clock MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 591 Sep 28, 2012 08:30 AM
Clock App iPhone and iPad iOS 6 macinstein iOS 6 1 Sep 24, 2012 09:49 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC