Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With millions of units shipped, and demand significantly outstripping supply, the initial launch of the iPhone 5 can probably be described as successful. Ad tracking firm has released some data comparing iPhone 5 mobile ad impressions to those from the Galaxy S III, a popular Android phone released by Samsung.

According to the firm, the three-week old iPhone 5 saw significantly more web traffic than the Galaxy S III, a phone that has been out for months.
Following the release of Apple's iPhone 5 on September 21st, Chitika Insights was interested in comparing the Web usage rates of the newest phones from both manufacturers. To quantify our latest study, we conducted a user agent analysis on millions of mobile ad impressions, spanning a 7-day time frame from October 3rd through October 9th, 2012. Looking solely at impressions coming from the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S III, we were able to observe the difference in Web traffic volume between the two devices, depicted in the figure below:
NewImage16.png
Another study, this time from 451 Research/ChangeWave Research, found that one third of North American consumers were "somewhat" or "very" likely to purchase the iPhone 5, a number that is some 10% higher than the consumers who were planning to buy the iPhone 4S.

The firm also found that 9 in 10 users hadn't experienced any significant problems with Apple's new mapping software, something that has received a great deal of attention in the press recently.

Article Link: Chitika: iPhone 5 Passes Samsung Galaxy S III in Web Usage

brettizzle

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2011
Michigan!
Yeah I still have to wait 2 weeks for my iPhone 5 to ship from verizon :( too bad my upgrade date was just after the iPhone 5 was released. They were sold out everywhere by the time I could get one.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
Queue the "Well of course it is higher. People are having to do multiple searches to find their destination correctly on Apple Maps" comments...

:)

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Somewhat continues supporting the evidence that Android users, by and large, don't represent mainstream user behaviors like surfing the web. Possible they don't even know how to access and use all that power they hold in their hands.

They don't know enough to matter.

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
The firm also found that 9 in 10 users hadn't experienced any significant problems with Apple's new mapping software, something that has received a great deal of attention in the press recently.

I defended the Maps app to a family member not long ago arguing "What? You haven't upgraded the iOS6 because you're afraid of the maps problems you've read online?! Upgrade!" then the next day I used the app and I couldn't find a elementary school in my area and also couldn't find a park in my area. I live in a major Canadian city so I was pretty surprised.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Maybe I'm reaching here. But doesn't this seem obvious. Those with S3's have had their devices for awhile and their usage has normalized. iPhone 5 users are "breaking in" their phones by surfing, downloading, etc all more than probably usual because they just got their phones.

I'm not trying to justify/skew the report. I just find it relatively meaningless.

I would guess a report in 3/6 months would be more meaningful.

iMaven

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2011
ok, but are they passing them in sales? Some Android folks are saying the Galaxy is passing Apple in sales.

rendevouspoo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2012
Maybe I'm reaching here. But doesn't this seem obvious. Those with S3's have had their devices for awhile and their usage has normalized. iPhone 5 users are "breaking in" their phones by surfing, downloading, etc all more than probably usual because they just got their phones.

I'm not trying to justify/skew the report. I just find it relatively meaningless.

I would guess a report in 3/6 months would be more meaningful.

That's a good point.

Peppa

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2012
Somewhat continues supporting the evidence that Android users, by and large, don't represent mainstream user behaviors like surfing the web. Possible they don't even know how to access and use all that power they hold in their hands.

They don't know enough to matter.

That's just an unnecessarily mean thing to say.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Two things to keep in mind about the mapping “problems”... which are real, and improving, however:

1. Google Maps was never error-free either. I ran into problems/errors with it weekly. It was still awesomely useful except in rare moments of bad luck where the errors caused trouble I couldn’t figure out. I liked it (still do) and did not demand perfection. But now people NOTICE the errors and raise a stink because it’s Apple. Imagine if blogs popped up all over the web looking for visual messes in Google Street View or outdate aerial images or mis-named roads. There would be an avalanche. But people are looking for Apple to fail, and will see it even if it’s not true. (Yes, Apple fans as well: they’re NOT the forgive-anything bunch that anti-Apple zealots make them out to be.)

2. User reviews seem to follow a strong pattern: “what a terrible problem! but I’m lucky, the new Maps have been fine for me!” (Reminds me of all the people complaining about the iPhone 4 antennas on other peoples’ behalf, and almost nobody complaining from their own experience.) It’s impressive if 9 out of 10 people see no problem even with the tech media has people expecting big problems. If you tell people to expect something (weird map data, scratches, dead pixels, wavering signal bars, etc.) it’s human nature to suddenly notice it—and care about it—more than you ever would otherwise. (Lens flares anyone?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.