Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Ah but that's only because iPhone users are constantly using maps.google.com, right? :D

Pock

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2012
Beds/Cambs, UK
That's impressive considering how long the iPhone 5 has been out, and how many more they are likely to sell in the run up to Christmas.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Wast Samsung bragging how they sold 20 million S3s? Does this mean there are more iPhone 5's out there?

Not necessarily more out there but it's probably close to 20 million at this point. But iPhone users are, in large part, more technically savvy than Android users - they download more apps and surf the web more. They use wifi (there was this survey pointing out how a large number of Android phones have never been connected to a wifi network) and upgrade their OSs rapidly (100 million on iOS6 within, what, a week?).

Basically, a lot of Androids aren't being used often as smartphones. Even high end ones, apparently.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Not necessarily more out there but it's probably close to 20 million at this point. But iPhone users are, in large part, more technically savvy than Android users - they download more apps and surf the web more. They use wifi (there was this survey pointing out how a large number of Android phones have never been connected to a wifi network) and upgrade their OSs rapidly (100 million on iOS6 within, what, a week?).

Basically, a lot of Androids aren't being used often as smartphones. Even high end ones, apparently.

If iPhone users are considered more tech savvy - then why do so many people on here claim that most people that buy Android phones are those that are hackers, geeks, Rom Flashers, etc - all things which would be contrary to your assertion.

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Ah but that's only because iPhone users are constantly using maps.google.com, right? :D

you did read the whole news???

"The firm also found that 9 in 10 users hadn't experienced any significant problems with Apple's new mapping software"

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
That's impressive considering how long the iPhone 5 has been out, and how many more they are likely to sell in the run up to Christmas.

This has little/nothing to do with sales. This has to do with web traffic

iWe

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
"The firm also found that 9 in 10 users hadn't experienced any significant problems with Apple's new mapping software, something that has received a great deal of attention in the press recently."

Chitika: iPhone 5 Passes Samsung Galaxy S III in Web Usage
That's a very good ratio. Guess the only ones having any real issues are the ones who need public transit directions on daily basis. I for one don't need them so I'm completely fine with the new Maps.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
This has little/nothing to do with sales. This has to do with web traffic

Well, it does speak to the popularity of the device in part but it's not a direct measure. We wouldn't expect this to be the case if there were very few units in use.

----------

That's a very good ratio. Guess the only ones having any real issues are the ones who need public transit directions on daily basis. I for one don't need them so I'm completely fine with the new Maps.

You can get some really great transit apps that offer far more functionality than the Google Maps transit stuff. I like the whole third party app solution there.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
Maybe I'm reaching here. But doesn't this seem obvious. Those with S3's have had their devices for awhile and their usage has normalized. iPhone 5 users are "breaking in" their phones by surfing, downloading, etc all more than probably usual because they just got their phones.

I'm not trying to justify/skew the report. I just find it relatively meaningless.

I would guess a report in 3/6 months would be more meaningful.

OR, the bigger screen, (arguably) better browser and lte mean more people actually use their iP5. I know I have been using it a lot more. I haven't picked up my ipad since I got the 5.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
If iPhone users are considered more tech savvy - then why do so many people on here claim that most people that buy Android phones are those that are hackers, geeks, Rom Flashers, etc - all things which would be contrary to your assertion.

Well, those people are wrong. It's fairly simple.

There's some nuance to this. Lets say there are 500 million Android users in the world, as a nice round number. Of them maybe 2% are hardcore tech enthusiasts - hackers, coders, people who want to mod and route and all that stuff. The other 98% are a mixture of casual to enthusiastic tech types. But the overall data tends to suggest they skew towards less high end tech types because a) they often buy the lower end phones (techies would buy the beasts), b) they surf the web less (techies surf loads), c) they download fewer apps per handset (techies love their apps), d) they often don't upgrade their software even when updates are available (techies are early adopters of new software) and e) many Android handsets have never been used on wifi (techies love wifi).

So, in a way, both images are true. There is a small hardcore of Android users who use Android because it's open, they can mod it and download emulators and run all sorts of crazy software. They make up a tiny fraction of the installed base. The majority are normal folks and the skew is towards those less engaged in technology. Some are very engaged - no doubt about that. But the data clearly indicates that they are not the norm.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Because the Android fans found on tech forums surely represent that greater population...:rolleyes:

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
Long Live The Internet Kings! I knew iPhone 5 users could do it!

geek3-100x100.jpg

:p

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
http://www.thestreet.mobi/story/11586384/1/android-users-dont-know-enough-to-matter.html

I actually use LTE over wireless most of the time because it's much faster. I can't speak for everyone - and clearly LTE isn't everywhere. But you can't go by just numbers without context.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Somewhat continues supporting the evidence that Android users, by and large, don't represent mainstream user behaviors like surfing the web. Possible they don't even know how to access and use all that power they hold in their hands.

They don't know enough to matter.

They're too busy removing the battery and popping in SD cards to care, while they endlessly customise their device and only crawl out into the web browsers at dawn when they have to look for new live wallpapers and widgets.

Manzzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Could this be because iPhone 5 users use Safari to look at Google Maps instead of Apple's Map?

Chorx

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2011
Given android devices history with statistics like this, I'd say it's pretty impressive in the GSIIIs favor. I'm glad people are actually using their phones!!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Well, those people are wrong. It's fairly simple.

There's some nuance to this. Lets say there are 500 million Android users in the world, as a nice round number. Of them maybe 2% are hardcore tech enthusiasts - hackers, coders, people who want to mod and route and all that stuff. The other 98% are a mixture of casual to enthusiastic tech types. But the overall data tends to suggest they skew towards less high end tech types because a) they often buy the lower end phones (techies would buy the beasts), b) they surf the web less (techies surf loads), c) they download fewer apps per handset (techies love their apps), d) they often don't upgrade their software even when updates are available (techies are early adopters of new software) and e) many Android handsets have never been used on wifi (techies love wifi).

So, in a way, both images are true. There is a small hardcore of Android users who use Android because it's open, they can mod it and download emulators and run all sorts of crazy software. They make up a tiny fraction of the installed base. The majority are normal folks and the skew is towards those less engaged in technology. Some are very engaged - no doubt about that. But the data clearly indicates that they are not the norm.

I was being mostly sarcastic.

The fact is - all sorts of people own iPhones just like all sorts of people own Android phones. Sweeping generalizations don't work.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Worst. Infographic. Ever.

I kind of like how they managed to make the two pieces of pie blend together visually. Who said charts need to effectively convey information, anyway? :rolleyes:

But I'll bet they could do better:

betterwk.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.