Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:12 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

AU Optronics Reportedly Making up Ground on 'iPad Mini' Display Production

Amid reports of component yield issues holding back launch supplies of the "iPad mini" earlier this month, it was reported that AU Optronics, which had been slated to produce two million display panels during the third quarter, was experiencing issues that resulted in the company providing only 400,000 units over that time period. AU Optronics was said to be responsible for 40% of Apple's target of five million panels for the quarter, with LG Display responsible for the other 60%.

Just a week before Apple is expected to introduce the iPad mini, China Economic News Service now reports that AU Optronics has resolved its production issues and is making up for lost time by boosting its production from two million panels per month to three million at Apple's request.
Quote:
AU Optronics Corp., a major maker of thin film transistor-liquid crystal display (TFT-LCD) panel in Taiwan, has replaced old photo masks to overcome problems in production of display panels for Apple's new iPad mini, hence motivating Apple to increase order by 50%, according to insiders but not commented upon by AUO.
The new production target is said to be going into effect in "mid-October", although it is not entirely clear how quickly those additional panels will make their way through the supply chain and into finished products.

A launch date for the iPad mini is not yet known, but Apple's history of major iOS device launches suggests that availability could come approximately a week and a half after its October 23 introduction, with Friday, November 2 being a possible debut date. First-generation products have, however, in the past seen longer lead times than new versions of existing products.

Article Link: AU Optronics Reportedly Making up Ground on 'iPad Mini' Display Production
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:14 AM   #2
goinskiing
macrumors 6502a

At this point I'd be surprised to not see an iPad Mini.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:23 AM   #3
macse30
macrumors regular

I understand Apple will rename the existing product the Maxi iPad after introducing the Mini.
macse30 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:25 AM   #4
h1r0ll3r
macrumors 68040

As is always the case, never buy first gen products. Those that do, I can foresee a TON of "My screen sucks on my iPad Mini" threads. And people complained about the iPad 3 screen
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:26 AM   #5
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by macse30 View Post
I understand Apple will rename the existing product the Maxi iPad after introducing the Mini.
Sure, just like they did with the Maxi iPod!

Oh wait.
pgiguere1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:28 AM   #6
kernyboy
macrumors member

you're really proud of yourself huh? so clever. did you come up with that all on your own lol
kernyboy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:33 AM   #7
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Is it just me, or does that look like the same size as a Galaxy Note? You know, the one all the fanboys say is too big...
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:34 AM   #8
BigBeast
macrumors 6502

Did I miss the useful info- is it Retina or near Retina?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:35 AM   #9
daneoni
macrumors G4

AU make decent screens. I remember them from the PowerBook days.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:37 AM   #10
arctic
macrumors 6502a

No invitations yet to this supposedly event. Don't disappoint us, Tim. We need that rMBP 13".
arctic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:38 AM   #11
Imac&SoShouldU
macrumors member

Seriously...I'd be surprised if anyone still thinks the iPad mini ISN'T going to happen...then again a lot of the "it's an iPhone 6" crowd might still say no way up untill right before the announcement.
Imac&SoShouldU is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:38 AM   #12
hamlin
macrumors regular

I don't have a tablet at the moment but if this is real I might have to get it. The only downside is that I know the price will be double of any other 7 inch tablet. I feel it will be $299-399 minimum.
hamlin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:41 AM   #13
Skika
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
Is it just me, or does that look like the same size as a Galaxy Note? You know, the one all the fanboys say is too big...
Yeah one is a phone and other is a tablet?

Is this post even serious?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:42 AM   #14
Anuba
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1r0ll3r View Post
As is always the case, never buy first gen products.
It's a bit hard to avoid, isn't it? iPad 1 was a new product category = 1st gen. iPad 2 was a major hardware redesign = 1st gen. iPad 3 was the iPad 2 with a brand new type of display in it = 1st gen. iPad 4 will have that display but the rest will probably be redesigned again = 1st gen.

Or take stuff the iPod Nano, which radically redesigned from the ground up every time a new model comes out. If you're gonna hold out for a tried and true Nano you can NEVER buy one. You wouldn't be able to buy much Apple stuff at all, other than interim iPhone models with "S" attached to their names, speedbumped Macs, the iPod Classic and Shuffle, the Thunderbolt display, and the keyboard+mouse.
Anuba is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:42 AM   #15
lazyrighteye
macrumors 65816

I know people are talking about price control, but I see no way this mini is not retina. That would be a major differentiator amongst tightening competition.
lazyrighteye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:47 AM   #16
KdParker
macrumors 68030

Quote:
As is always the case, never buy first gen products. Those that do, I can foresee a TON of "My screen sucks on my iPad Mini" threads. And people complained about the iPad 3 screen
I wouldn't avoid a first gen product. While there will be some issues it rarely is for a majority of the users.

If I wanted an iPad mini (depends on price points) then i would get the first generatoin.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
Yeah one is a phone and other is a tablet?

Is this post even serious?
unfortunately....it probably is
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:52 AM   #17
Nungster
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
Actually it's bigger, and btw, it's NOT a phone.
Nungster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:53 AM   #18
shortenjam88
macrumors newbie

The screen won't be retina, as already stated. Maybe we will be surprised, who knows? But with the alleged focus on iBooks during the event I think the display will have to be pretty close to retina, as reading books on the iPad 1/2 was pretty underwhelming, seeing the pixels and all.
shortenjam88 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:58 AM   #19
thadoggfather
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
AU make decent screens. I remember them from the PowerBook days.
My pre-unibody MacBook Pro had an AUO screen also. I preferred it to Samsung and LG counterparts.

Can't speak for the company's quality on the whole (I just have no clue).
thadoggfather is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:02 AM   #20
mac jones
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I don't adhere to this philosophy myself as I think it's just a wee bit paranoid.

I mean, sure there are problems. Waiting around for nirvana is gonna be a long.......wait.
mac jones is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:02 AM   #21
chrisdee
macrumors member

Quote:
Agree. Dont buy first generation. Might have lots of issues.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:04 AM   #22
Noctilux.95
macrumors 6502

I would love to pick up a 3G/4G iPad Mini for less than $400. Hope that price is a reality.
Noctilux.95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:05 AM   #23
NOV
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic View Post
No invitations yet to this supposedly event. Don't disappoint us, Tim. We need that rMBP 13".
Was thinking the same, isn't it a bit late to schedule a presentation for the 23th?

Music website
NOV is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:07 AM   #24
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiguere1 View Post
Sure, just like they did with the Maxi iPod!

Oh wait.
You are missing the joke, think feminine products...got it?
Tiger8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:11 AM   #25
Newfiebill
macrumors regular

Invites

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOV View Post
Was thinking the same, isn't it a bit late to schedule a presentation for the 23th?
It would seem to me that, if this is indeed ture, the invites would have to go no later than Wedneday?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion