Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheKanyeCompass

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
My 6th generation iPod nano broke recently (still under warranty), and I am taking it in for replacement on Friday. With the new iPod Nanos having just come out, will apple give me the new one? Or will I get an option to pay a little bit more for an upgrade?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
My 6th generation iPod nano broke recently (still under warranty), and I am taking it in for replacement on Friday. With the new iPod Nanos having just come out, will apple give me the new one? Or will I get an option to pay a little bit more for an upgrade?

They will replace it with a refurbished sixth generation. Otherwise they will make you pay for the repair. That is how it works. If you want to upgrade, you have to flat out pay for the new Nano in full.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
If your nano is replaced for free (assuming it's a manufacturer's defect), you could consider selling it and buying the new one. I'm trying to buy the sixth gen right now and am having trouble finding one, so you might get a good price for it as some people prefer the old design.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
If your nano is replaced for free (assuming it's a manufacturer's defect), you could consider selling it and buying the new one. I'm trying to buy the sixth gen right now and am having trouble finding one, so you might get a good price for it as some people prefer the old design.

If you're looking for the Nano 6th gen 8GB Silver, MegaMacs.com sells them new for 89.99. They are OEM and do not come with the box, headphones or cable but they are new. I bought one from them a couple of weeks ago, and they shipped quickly; packed it beautifully; and were great to deal with. They are new, not refurbs. I was kind of hesitant at first but I figured I could always get my 89.99 back if it was not as promised. I would much rather buy from them than from some sketchy Ebay or Amazon Marketplace seller.

Refurb Nanos are no longer avaiable on the Apple site so the supplies are definitely drying up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.