Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Blistering start for the iPhone 5.

650k in 10 days...

I keep hearing that the GS3 is this great big seller and iphone 5 killer yet no one ever wants to talk about its specific activations.

It took the GS3 two months to hit 10 million in sales. It looks like the iPhone 5 will hit the same mark in two weeks.

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
then verizon is lying to its customers and to me. are you sure you kept unlimited data or just your 2nd gen legacy tiered plan?

they ended all unlimited 4G plans after a very brief introduction on that Motorola Droid phone. after that was ended, it was impossible to ever get a NEW unlimited 4G data plan. if you were one of the lucky ones who got an unlimited LTE plan during that limited plan - you are grandfathered for life as long as you buy your phones at full retail

i was told by verizon that regardless of where i buy my iPhone 5, that since i was going from a 3G phone (iPhone 4S) to a 4G LTE phone that i would be losing unlimited data

I really haven't the foggiest idea. I've had two other 4g phones on my account before this device. My bill screen says unlimited. Today ends my bill cycle and have over 3 gigs of 4g service and no overage. I think I'm ok.

650,000 of a constrained device... Here come the trolls

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
I had to reread this several times, they only sold 650,000 iPhone 5s.

Verizon sold 650k iPhone 5s. Under constrained supplies. Within the last 9 days of the quarter.

And you use the word ONLY?

----------

Unlike with AT&T, any Verizon customer who gets a 4G LTE phone either subsidized or un-subsidized will lose their unlimited data plan.

If anyone wins here, it will be Verizon by forcing off millions of its iPhone unlimited data customers to a tiered data plan. Combined with the higher efficiency of the 4G LTE spectrum and how 4G LTE chews through more data more quickly, this will be VERY lucrative for Verizon. 2GB will not be sufficient for an average user in 2012, the numbers of which we will know next year. In 2010, the average smartphone user was using 450MB/mo. In 2011, that number jumped to 1.4GB. In 2012, my educational guess is that it will easily exceed 2GB maybe even approaching 3GB.

The share everything plans help for people who use a relatively small amount of data on many devices. The break even point is reached fairly quickly though as you account for the fact that each phone is likely to chew through 2GB each month which means many families will have to get the 8GB family share plan.

Apple wins, Verizon wins, shareholders (me) win, customer (also me) loses

I am holding onto my iPhone 4S with unlimited data for dear life

My current family plan vs. a family share plan with 4gb of data (even this month with my iPhone 5 on LTE which has gone almost a full cycle, we are using just barely 3gb) is the exact same price. My mom has been hesitant to move to a smart phone because she wouldn't use enough data to justify the $30/month for the data plan, but now that it's only $10 more than a dumb phone for access, it will allow her to finally move without adding much to our plan.

Not to mention the jump from 4gb to 6gb of shared data is only $10, and now I can add an iPad for $10/month as well.

----------

Well, this makes sense. You have to buy TWO Verizon iPhones in order to get the data and voice to work at the same time. Also takes 2-3 iPhones to get the LTE Speed that you can get via AT&T.

I'm 90% sure this is just incorrect—Verizon LTE is faster than AT&T LTE.

Also, I'd be willing to bet that 99.9% of the people on Verizon don't buy two phones to get data and voice to work at the same time, because we acknowledge that the few times we would ever use it (I use about 90 minutes of voice a month, and 99% of that time I'm connected to wifi anyway) are worth giving up in order to have more reliable service and more widespread LTE.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I think 20 million for one android based phone is a breakout for those devices. I highly doubt any other sigle android based phone has sold in those numbers so it's a big deal for them. I think the number of devices using android is somewhere north of 4,000 devices currently on the market. iOS is more like 12? or 20 tops? (I didn't count them up :))

So 20 million says, they have a hit on their hands, at least by their standards.

Come on...you know that iPhone numbers are going way 'north' of 20 million. And having more so many cheaper and free android devices doesn't really help your arguement.

----------

I had to reread this several times, they only sold 650,000 iPhone 5s.

that is only in 10 days one one carrier.

----------

Is Apple doing anything about the anti Apple propaganda Verizon runs at its stores?

The sales people there weren't the slightest bit ashamed of blatantly bashing Apple.

Not just apple.

The Verizon store employees are more pro droidian than anything else. The just continually try to steer customers away from the iPhone and windows phones.

jumpmandds

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2011
Ohio
then verizon is lying to its customers and to me. are you sure you kept unlimited data or just your 2nd gen legacy tiered plan?

they ended all unlimited 4G plans after a very brief introduction on that Motorola Droid phone. after that was ended, it was impossible to ever get a NEW unlimited 4G data plan. if you were one of the lucky ones who got an unlimited LTE plan during that limited plan - you are grandfathered for life as long as you buy your phones at full retail

i was told by verizon that regardless of where i buy my iPhone 5, that since i was going from a 3G phone (iPhone 4S) to a 4G LTE phone that i would be losing unlimited data

Do you not read the forums? I have grandfathered unlimited with Verizon came from a 4s purchased my 5 on release day at full price to keep my unlimited its been stated many of times you can do this and maybe the Verizon rep that told u that you couldn't was just lying because they were saving a phone for someone buying subsidized for the commission. Read the forums and call Verizon customer service

you people smh

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
It's not 21% of smart phones, it's 21% of iphone sales were the iphone 5.

that doesn't seem like a whole hell of a lot.

Shmet

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
This is suprising given how agressively the sales staff tries to steer customers towards andriod phones. I've heard that the commisions are better for those phones vs iPhones. No proof, just hearsay, but from listening to them and some of the oddball things they claim about apple, i can believe it.

you people smh

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
It was 21% for the entire quarter, of which the iPhone 5 was only out for the final week. Sounds pretty impressive to me.

I would think the number of iphone 4/4S's sold is the way more impressive number given that everybody and their brother knew that the new iphone was coming out.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Is Apple doing anything about the anti Apple propaganda Verizon runs at its stores?

The sales people there weren't the slightest bit ashamed of blatantly bashing Apple.

Do they make more money selling the other phones? kickbacks?

jpadhiyar

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Ahmedabad, India
Another iPhone, another success story. 650k iPhone 5 activations from Verizon alone. More than 1M iPhone 5s would have been sold in the first 10 days if you added AT&T and Sprint's iPhone 5 sales numbers. Looks like another kill for Apple. Samsung is nowhere close to this number in US.

bvlgari

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2012
Another iPhone, another success story. 650k iPhone 5 activations from Verizon alone. More than 1M iPhone 5s would have been sold in the first 10 days if you added AT&T and Sprint's iPhone 5 sales numbers. Looks like another kill for Apple. Samsung is nowhere close to this number in US.

Only 1M?

rsocal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
Southern Ca
Take into account

...............but, was it half empty or half full?

Wouldn't 21% be closer to 1/4 of sales?

I get what you're saying but you need to take into account, the amount of different model phones they sell, I can assure you that not any other single model phone did 21% of sales for that individual phone model. My thinking is that any single Brand that's 1/4 of your sales is amazing! One more thing to ponder is they sold approx. 650,000 in the last days of the quarter and the i5 has only been out a month. I'm not disagreeing with your statement, just my perspective when I look at the big picture. I also speak from a business background in my father collision business. For Insurance company's we have 5 direct repair programs we work with 2 of them are very high volume, 2 are medium and 1 that is 35%-40% of gross at the end of year. So that's how I see it, their volume in comparison to all the other 4. So it takes 4 other DRP's to 1 simple easy great company that is similar to Apple in its way of doing business!:cool::apple::apple::apple:

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Because that doesn't change what I said? AT&T's LTE in Cleveland is fast. I get just about 50Mbps downstream and 15Mbps upstream: http://i.imgur.com/uVwQD.jpg.

who cares if it's "fast" ...that had nothing to do with what i said. i said that for the person who said that AT&T LTE is faster than Verizon LTE, they should check their facts. i mentioned Philadelphia as a city where Verizon LTE is faster than AT&T's LTE.

bobobenobi

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
who cares if it's "fast" ...that had nothing to do with what i said. i said that for the person who said that AT&T LTE is faster than Verizon LTE, they should check their facts. i mentioned Philadelphia as a city where Verizon LTE is faster than AT&T's LTE.

Apparently *you* care a great deal how fast AT&T's LTE speeds are given that you want people to come to Philly to see how slow they are.

So, can you provide even a single number regarding Verizon's speeds? Anything at all, even completely unsubstantiated?

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Apparently *you* care a great deal how fast AT&T's LTE speeds are given that you want people to come to Philly to see how slow they are.

So, can you provide even a single number regarding Verizon's speeds? Anything at all, even completely unsubstantiated?

i was simply saying that AT&T LTE is faster than Verizon LTE is not true across the board. you are blowing this up into something it doesn't have to be.

sure, i'll get you a screen shot when i come home from work since anything i post in this forum will be questioned

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Let's not overlook the important fact faced by AT&T customers in most major cities in this country - NO AT&T LTE SERVICE AT ALL

As far as your claim that AT&T's LTE network is faster than Verizon's LTE network. Yeah right - come to Philadephia and see for yourself

I would agree that Verizon started rolling out their older LTE network and it is in more cities by far but if you are in a city with AT&T LTE (like Tampa), it is as fast as Bright House Cable and in many cases FIOS.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
I would agree that Verizon started rolling out their older LTE network and it is in more cities by far but if you are in a city with AT&T LTE (like Tampa), it is as fast as Bright House Cable and in many cases FIOS.

Verizon LTE and AT&T LTE are faster than FiOS and other cable broadband

but this is not entirely correct. the typical internet plan included with "triple plan" packages are throttled down. FiOS has the ability to have 200Mbps+ down but for the regular triple play they only include 15Mbps...and LTE gives you 30-50Mbps down

seecoolguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
i didn't even think you could buy the iPhone 5 at full price and keep unlimited data (but at LTE speeds). my understanding was that once you go from 3G to 4G you lose unlimited no matter what.

i use 6GB per month of data. it saves me money to buy the phone at full price than for me to buy 6GB of tiered data. while $729 is steep to drop down on a phone, just buy it on credit and make payments over 18 months which will roughly be $40/mo. 0% interest and you will build up your credit score big time with retail loans

I decided that while I want the phone, I will be buying it once I've saved up for it, which means I'll probably end up buying the iPhone5S and maybe by then the lighting cables will be ubiquitous?

:apple:

----------

For those asking or stating you cannot keep unlimited data on Verizon here is the link to their website with the info: http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/faqs/Calling Plans/share_everything.html?grp=1&faq=7

Verizon users cannot exercise the upgrade discounted price AND keep unlimited data as stated by the link you provided:

If you want to keep unlimited data, you have the option to pay full retail price for a new phone.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
I decided that while I want the phone, I will be buying it once I've saved up for it, which means I'll probably end up buying the iPhone5S and maybe by then the lighting cables will be ubiquitous?

:apple:

----------

Verizon users cannot exercise the upgrade discounted price AND keep unlimited data as stated by the link you provided:

does keeping the Unlimited plan include LTE Smartphones?

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
I believe that. Not bad for a phone others are calling 'old tech'.

----------

And what does that really say about the SGIII? I constantly hear about how popular this phone is, but the iPhone seems to be killing it.

Average and gimmicky. I've always found it hilarious when some people say S3 is much better than iPhone5 blah blah and I ask them in what way they just can't answer. Sure ANDROID (not samsung) does a few things more conveniently than iOS but to say iPhone sucks blah blah is just a tad exaggerating.

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
does keeping the Unlimited plan include LTE Smartphones?

Yes. Pay full price and you will keep unlimited data now on LTE even if you come from a 3G iPhone 4/4S. I can attest to this (and also kept a cheaper legacy voice plan). Try another sales person if they're telling you otherwise.

Whether this will always last, I can't say. But they'd be smart to continue permitting it. I'd switch to T-Mobile otherwise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.