Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stewartlittle

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
Oh another "what would Steve do!" I hate to say it but products take time to plan, design, source and manufacture. Steve was most likely alive when decisions were made for this one. It has only been a year. I know the product designs we do now at our firm aren't sold until at least 8 months to a year later. Apple often designs their products from ground up without off the shelf parts. This puppy has been in the design process for at least 2 years. Just my two cents

CarlHeanerd

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2008
Adams County, PA
The Retina MBA will only have 1280x800 usable resolution? The non-Retina is 1440x900...

...so going to get a refurb from Apple.com after the keynote. Since my 2008 MBP, I can't go back from 1440x900.

Actually the non-retina 13" MacBook Pros have only 1280x800. Only the MacBook Air has the 1440x900 resolution in the 13" model.

Source: I use a 2012 model MBP everyday.

Don't forget, a retina screen will scale to other resolutions.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
So much for doubling down on secrecy :rolleyes: Seems Apple is moving to a more transparent way, showing things way before they are announced. Not sure what I like better, knowing or not knowing.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
I do not understand the logic of including HDMI.

Apple did not provide HDMI when Apple TV was not that popular.

Now AppleTV, QuickSynch Technology easily mirrors your mac to the TV.

HDMI will be useful sometimes, but not a lot.

Check out most modern LCD projectors. They now accept HDMI. Many are now using HDMI to connect to projectors for business presentations. It is much easier when no adapter is required.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Oh another "what would Steve do!" I hate to say it but products take time to plan, design, source and manufacture. Steve was most likely alive when decisions were made for this one. It has only been a year. I know the product designs we do now at our firm aren't sold until at least 8 months to a year later. Apple often designs their products from ground up without off the shelf parts. This puppy has been in the design process for at least 2 years. Just my two cents

I think we're all aware that these products have been in the pipeline for some time, but there are always stories about Apple changing design specs at the last minute before the keynote. Nothing would stop them from adding an HDMI port after the fact given space in the unit if they really wanted to.

If the new iMacs have HDMI ports, then I think we have our answer, as it will negate the "they have extra space now by removing the optical drive" theory.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Why does Apple even bother to hold a Media Event.By the time it starts we will know what they are going to tell us anyway. Yes, I know I am on a rumors site, bla, bla, whatever, I just want some surprises to be left over for the actual event. Is that really so much to ask for?

There are surprises. Like the new 40 inch Cinema Display with HDMI, the new Apple TV 4th Gen, new content etc in the iTunes stores to go with the new software, that there is a Retina display on the 27 inch iMac even though everyone says it's 'impossible' to put such a display on an iMac at this time. Early release of the new Mac Pro tower. And the biggest one -- that there is no iPad Mini.

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Like some others have responded, I will use HDMI all the time!
I hook my laptop into the TV all the time and right now I'm using a MDP to HDMI cable and its on its last legs. It will be much more convenient to use a regular old HDMI cable. I think its a good move.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Oh another "what would Steve do!" I hate to say it but products take time to plan, design, source and manufacture. Steve was most likely alive when decisions were made for this one.

The same will likely be true for the next 2-3 years. Steve was likely involved in at least the idea stage of everything for the next 10 years. Or at least a lot of it.

----------

All these pics...I am thinking that we won't see iMacs next week.

Apple computers don't get the page hits that iPhone, iPod and iPads get, thus the press doesn't post a zillion articles so there's less of a 15 minutes of fame if you leak computer details

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Ok so I am not a computer guy maybe someone can answer this... If a writing program gets fuzzy on a retina 15" like Final draft... if the 13" is 2560x1600 and my Nec 30" monitor is same resolution and not fuzzy... will it work the same on the 13"?

also if I want to process 16mp photos from my Nikon D4 in photoshop and some lite video work in Final cut X will it be fine or get the 15"? thanks. ;)

By default it will look fuzzy like on the 15" rMBP, but you can download apps like SwitchResX (and others) to disable HiDPI scaling so that it looks exactly like on your 30" display. It will still be as sharp as before as it will be a native 2560x1600. However everything will look pretty small on a 13" screen.

Photoshop should be fine. CPU and RAM will be good for a 13" laptop, the only weaker part will be the graphics (considering they will most likely be integrated) but an Intel HD 4000 is fine. Just don't plan to game at native resolution, but Photoshop should be snappy as it is mainly CPU and RAM dependent. I don't know about Final Cut.

Last edited:

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
I just purchased a MBA :( with 8 GB ram, but for 1699 they can keep the retina MBP screw that pricing the Air will do just fine

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Dedicated GPU, like always, will make my decision for me.

Dedicated GPU and I buy it by January. If no GPU, I'll pick up a 13" MBAir base for like ~$1000 when it goes on sale. Either way, Apple gets my money - but I'd rather they get more of it in this case... ;p

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Why does it need two thunderbolt ports. I'd much rather have an extra usb or an ethernet port. Thunderbolt is a failure.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005

I'm gonna guess it is for better compatibility with video projectors, especially HD projectors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.