Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appleseeds

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2012
Anyone that buys either version of this proves P.T. Barnum was right.
Not that it wasn't already true but damn this is just so stupid.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
I got one for my phone and installed it in a steamed bathroom, it's literally like not having a screen protector on. Oleophobic coating might actually be BETTER than the Apple one :eek:

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Okay here's my comparison on the SPG Glas.T.r. vs the Bodyguardz Pure. I tried the SPG first and really liked the feel of it although it was quite thick and added a very small bit of extra heft to the phone. However it did stay down even with the Incase Slider which was a really tight fit. The SPG is cheaper to initially purchase but doesn't have the advantage replacement program for $13.00. The SPG is thicker than the BG and the SPG also has beveled edges while the BG is flat.

My first install on the BG got a piece of lint under the glass and I was able to take it off put a lint roller to it and lay it back down. It looks great and the home button is way less recessed comapred to the SPG. I also feel that while both screens feel great, the BG actually stays cleaner with less fingerprints. What I did find strange is though the BG is thinner, the Incase Slider will bubble and pull it up. As much as I really like my Slider, I like the BG way better and will use cases that don't interfere with the protector. So my pick of the two is the BG Pure. Fantastic in every way.

My ratings with the top being 10

SPG Glas.T.r - 8
BG Pure - 9.5

illomatic3

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2012
Okay here's my comparison on the SPG Glas.T.r. vs the Bodyguardz Pure. I tried the SPG first and really liked the feel of it although it was quite thick and added a very small bit of extra heft to the phone. However it did stay down even with the Incase Slider which was a really tight fit. The SPG is cheaper to initially purchase but doesn't have the advantage replacement program for $13.00. The SPG is thicker than the BG and the SPG also has beveled edges while the BG is flat.

My first install on the BG got a piece of lint under the glass and I was able to take it off put a lint roller to it and lay it back down. It looks great and the home button is way less recessed comapred to the SPG. I also feel that while both screens feel great, the BG actually stays cleaner with less fingerprints. What I did find strange is though the BG is thinner, the Incase Slider will bubble and pull it up. As much as I really like my Slider, I like the BG way better and will use cases that don't interfere with the protector. So my pick of the two is the BG Pure. Fantastic in every way.

SPG Glas.T.r - 8
BG Pure - 9.5

oh man i just ordered the BG Pure today to go along with my incase slider...looks like i'll have to switch it up!

kthnxshwn

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
To protect the glass without sacrificing the feel. Why is that hard to understand?

You are protecting glass by covering it with glass. Not nearly as durable as any of the crystal clear protectors on the market. It's about as dumb as putting water on your car to protect it from rain as opposed to using wax.

huschpuscheli

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
I am looking for it myself since I was the OP. weird.

i contacted a moderator. do you think it was deleted because i talked bad about sgp's customer service? seems unlikely, not?

ps: still waiting for my order to arrive in germany. now it's 10 days with tracking from usps saying "Electronic Shipping Info Received". it seems like it hasn't really shipped but the shipping label to be printed. and still no reaction from spg :( .

ok, i have to be patient:

Why hasn't my package arrived yet? (International packages)

If you purchased with USPS First Class International Mail, there is no tracking provided and delivery time usually takes 14 to 21 business days. This does not include weekends or holidays.

Last edited:

MauiGideon

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2008
You are protecting glass by covering it with glass. Not nearly as durable as any of the crystal clear protectors on the market. It's about as dumb as putting water on your car to protect it from rain as opposed to using wax.

No.. Actually, that is a horrible illustration...

Its more like putting another piece of metal over your car to protect it from the rain... Not the smartest thing to do, but it still has the original look and feel to it.

floss

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2009

6vuVM.gif

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

SPG Glas.T.r - 8
BG Pure - 9.5

I have noticed there is a wider gap around the sgp. Probably from the many complaints about the edges not adhering well and case fit.

kthnxshwn

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010

Its more like putting another piece of metal over your car to protect it from the rain... Not the smartest thing to do, but it still has the original look and feel to it.

Metal is actually durable, though. Glass is not.

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010

I'm not sure what you mean, a glass protector is MORE durable to scratches than any non-glass protector by far. It's not gorilla glass but it is fairly resistant to everyday wear. It's as clear as any premium clear protector (if not better clarity) but offers the feel of glass as well as better oleophobic properties. I have spent more than I'd like to admit on clear protectors over the years and you aren't going to get close to a glass screen protector with one.

As for impact protection, a non-glass protector offers none. A glass protector offers marginal protection from impacts. My friend did drop his samsung note with a glas.t on it and it cracked straight across but his screen was spared. Perhaps the screen wouldn't have cracked anyway but the protector did absorb some of the impact.

primeocean

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2009
Quick Glas.TR Review

I don't have any pictures yet, but I will try to get some up. First thing first, THIS IS NOT 100% SCRATCH RESISTANT TO KEYS. I have 3 scratches on this from my house key. Very light surface scratches and you can feel 1 of them when you run your fingernail across it and under good lighting. This screen protector is amazing. I love how it always looks clean because of the fingerprint resistant quality. You still get some but it's huge improvement. Installation is kinda tricky, one shot and that's all you get. I had to buy 2 because I messed up the first one. Was it worth it? Yes and no. Yes because it's probably the best solution if you want to keep the screen protected without having some awkward plastic film over it. No because unlike it's advertised to be, it's not scratch resistant to keys. At least not 100%. I wish I can put up pictures right now, but my Iphone 5 is my only camera source. I'll try to borrow someone's camera and take a pic. The whole deal about the home button is really subjective. I didn't use the cover they gave me, I didn't need it or want it. I have no problems with the home button without a cover at all. You probably want it if you know you have big fingers, otherwise most people will be more than happy to use without. I like the rounded edges on the glas.tr alot. I didn't try the glas.t so I don't know how it is without the round edges, but having this I wouldn't want it any other way.

Bottom line this is an amazing glass protector. It feels like you don't have anything on which is a huge plus. I just wish they didn't make it seem like it was key scratch proof.

Last edited:

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA

Except that water won't protect the car at all. Are you saying that the glass screen protector won't protect the screen? Horrible analogy.

The durability of the protector doesn't matter. The protector just needs to prevent scratches. The fact that it feels like the original glass is a plus. I understand if you feel the glas.t is too expensive for what it is, but to say it's a dumb idea makes you look dumb.

Except you're not operating a car by touching it, so feel doesn't matter. Horrible analogy as well.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I bought these button stickers to use with the Glas.t.r but ended up using the Pure instead and now no longer feel the need for them. Does anybody want them? Just PM me your address. I have no need for them and if no one else wants them I'm going to trash them.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I bought these button stickers to use with the Glas.t.r but ended up using the Pure instead and now no longer feel the need for them. Does anybody want them? Just PM me your address. I have no need for them and if no one else wants them I'm going to trash them.

Here they are.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 123

thrallz

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
I got some lints any tips on how to remove them? Has anyone ever try to take off and reinstall the glast yet?

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I got some lints any tips on how to remove them? Has anyone ever try to take off and reinstall the glast yet?

I did. I had a couple pieces at first, even after taking all precautions to prevent it. I even used compressed air to make sure everything would be lint free. After seeing the lint, i lifted the glas.t from the corner with my fingernail very slowly and i used blue painter's tape to lift the lint off of it. After reapplying the glas.t, everything was perfect and I couldn't be happier.

Koebot

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2012
What made you switch? I have a Pure now but may go with the GLAS.tR for it's oleophobic properties.

floss

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2009
What made you switch? I have a Pure now but may go with the GLAS.tR for it's oleophobic properties.

The Pure is oleophobic too, in fact a few people who've tried both the Pure and Glast.tr say the Pure is more smudgeproof.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.