Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogo43

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
New York
Hey,
Odd question but id figure someone here knows the answer.

I have a 27" iMac and a 13" MBP that i just picked up.

Is there a program that when these two computers are on the same network they can automatically sync documents, iPhotos, iTunes, to each other?

That way whatever i do on one will update to the other without me having to use a jump drive or something to keep both updated?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Is it relatively easy to use? Do you use it at all?

I have used it some years ago. You have to set up the folders you want to sync (the source and target folders) and off you go, though you had to manually induce the syncing process, which may be a bummer, if you look for a fully automated service.

Nowadays I just use DropBox to sync my text documents and such and have big files on external HDDs.

As for ChronoSync, just give the trial a try to see, if it is to your liking.
http://econtechnologies.com/pages/downloads/downloads.html

carboncocoa

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Just a little warning about syncing Library folders, particularly anything to do with Mail. It tends to mess things up. If you want to sync Preferences folders, just sync that folder, as opposed to the Library folder in its entirety.

rogo43

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
New York
Just a little warning about syncing Library folders, particularly anything to do with Mail. It tends to mess things up. If you want to sync Preferences folders, just sync that folder, as opposed to the Library folder in its entirety.

I'm not worried about the mail app, but stuff like my iPhoto library i would like to have it automatically update the other computer as i make changes and update it and what not.

rogo43

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
New York
Bump

I spoke to apple and they say iCoud can do all of what I want, but im not convinced.. Anyone have any other insight or knowledge about this?

rogo43

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
New York
Case in point,I do not use Pages, but MS Office, however you cannot Sync any thing done in Word to the Cloud, only Pages Documents, WTF?:confused:

ARE YOU F'in kidding me..... What a joke.
Im gonna call my Mac guy in the morning and ask him directly what i can do. simsaladimbamba recommended an app, so ill try that and see that happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.