Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tingler

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2012
A SAD day for Apple if this smaller, irrelevant and me-too iPad is actually released today - let's hope this is NOT the case.

Why? I mean I understand you might not want something like this but why are against anyone else having it if they so desire?

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Steve Jobs: "This size (7-inches for a tablet) isn’t sufficient to create great tablet apps in our opinion. While one could increase the resolution of the display to make up for some of the difference, it is meaningless unless your tablet also includes sandpaper, so that the user can sand down their fingers to around one quarter of their present size.

Apple has done extensive user testing on touch interfaces over many years and we really understand this stuff...These are among the reasons we think the current crop of 7-inch tablets are going to be DOA. Dead On Arrival."

This is not the first time that SJ said Apple would not do something and then Apple turned around and did it. I don't know if it is purposeful misdirection or a changing of minds, but I would never assume with Apple that something they said would never happen will never happen. I've seen it too many times.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
iPad Air would have been a stupid name. MacBook Air kind of made sense, they were referring to the product being smaller and lighter than one would expect a laptop to be. The new smaller iPad isn't aiming to revolutionize tablet design, it's just an iPad built around a smaller screen.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Why? I mean I understand you might not want something like this but why are against anyone else having it if they so desire?

I am speaking from the perspective of INNOVATION (none), LINEUP STREAMLINING (none - just more market clutter) and INITIATIVE (none - it's Apple following Amazon and Google instead of setting the bar higher).

All factors above are the main reason why Apple almost disappeared in the 90s.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I wonder how many Apple fanatics today will praise how "revolutionary" and awesome the iPad mini is...and how many of those fanatics were the same ones that blasted Google and Amazon for their smaller-sized tablets.

In case the fanboys forget... I'd like to remind them that they should head over to their local department store and buy some sandpaper :)

Steve Jobs: "This size (7-inches for a tablet) isn’t sufficient to create great tablet apps in our opinion. While one could increase the resolution of the display to make up for some of the difference, it is meaningless unless your tablet also includes sandpaper, so that the user can sand down their fingers to around one quarter of their present size.

Apple has done extensive user testing on touch interfaces over many years and we really understand this stuff...These are among the reasons we think the current crop of 7-inch tablets are going to be DOA. Dead On Arrival."

Do we really need to drag that screen graphic out again?

I guess so, since you apparently missed it the last dozen times. Here you go.

screens.jpg

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Yeah just like the other iPad, Apple sucks. I can't even believe they're taking another stab at this whole "iPad" concept when the market has already clearly rejected it.

Personally, I can't see it being useful to me. I keep trying to find the use case where it is better than the iPhone or the iPad. For me, the display is too small for watching movies, and the unit is too big to be put in a pocket. So, I have no intention of buying something. I actually would prefer a 13" iPad.

Having said that, i have seen enough posted to believe that there are huge numbers of people who will buy this, but not me.

Tom Sawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
Doesn't matter, they'll sell millions and millions of these. I'm getting 2.

Without a doubt; Apple could wrap a turd in brushed aluminum with a nice :apple: logo and it would sell. The momentum and hype is the wind in their sails.

I disagree with the usefullness comment of a 7ish inch tablet. I picked up a Nexus and would much rather use it than my wifes iPad because of the size/form factor; it's simply much more comfortable to hold and use. If the Mini is reality I will get one beacause I do prefer iOS.

I do hope that the Mini actually has iPad 3 hardware and Retina (at least if not the new chip from the iPhone 5) and not the hardware of the iPad 2 as rumored. Time will tell....

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
This is not the first time that SJ said Apple would not do something and then Apple turned around and did it. I don't know if it is purposeful misdirection or a changing of minds, but I would never assume with Apple that something they said would never happen will never happen. I've seen it too many times.

Not to mention, if the rumors are true, this will be closer to 8" rather than 7.

But, to reinforce your point, one of the most famous of these was video on the iPod. Jobs said no one would want to watch video on that small of screen and what was it, the very next year, iPod 5th generation with video.

You're right about the changing of minds also. After reading the recent biography of Jobs, he just changed his mind at times too after much prodding- like iPods being compatible with Windows.

Who knows.

Pair

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2011
I wonder how many Apple fanatics today will praise how "revolutionary" and awesome the iPad mini is...and how many of those fanatics were the same ones that blasted Google and Amazon for their smaller-sized tablets.

In case the fanboys forget... I'd like to remind them that they should head over to their local department store and buy some sandpaper :)

One simply replies to such a comment with, 'the iPad mini will not be 7', actually 7.85', closer to 8' '.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
If that photo is an actual ad from Apple, the icons underneath look quite blurry... no retina, no buy. And really, if there's no Retina screen on this device, Apple shouldn't even bring it to market. Will they sell units without a Retina screen? Of course. Will they diminish the quality of their product and user experience therefore decreasing their perceived worth? I would think so.

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
These events are no fun! Everything leaks and we know all the details weeks in advance now. Only solution is to not log onto the Internet.

It's a bit of a bummer isn't it? I miss the total surprises as well.

If you go back far enough and Apple was small enough (or even making its own stuff....hard to remember that) they could keep stuff quiet to launch...now their giant subcontracted build chain lets everything out like water through a sieve.

Such is life...

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
It was confirmed by Samsung, by announcing a non-existent product just to say they used the mini meme first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.