Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple updated its Mac mini line of desktop computers at its media event today.

NewImage27.png
The updated Mac mini models have new processors, including quad-core chips on the high end, as well as new build-to-order RAM options of up to 16 GB. Pricing remains the same as the prior generation Mac Mini models, starting at $599. There are two standard configuration and a server configuration:
- $599, 2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD
- $799, 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD
- $999, 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 4GB RAM, 2TB HD, Includes Mountain Lion Server
High-end Mac mini models can now also be configured with Apple's new Fusion Drive technology, which seamlessly integrates a traditional 1 TB hard drive with 128 GB of fast flash storage for both speed and capacity. System files and frequently used apps and data are automatically placed in flash storage to optimize speed, while other data is housed on the slower traditional hard drive.

The Mac mini was last updated in July of 2011, marking some 460 days since the last update and the new models are available starting today.

Article Link: Apple Introduces New Mac Mini With Faster Processors and Quad-Core Option

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I assume i5 means no hyperthreading? If not, what's the difference?

I guess it's nice to see quad, but without HT it's a big step down from the "real" quad cpus.

JG271

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
UK
Any news on the graphics cards? Would be a step backward to loose the discrete graphics.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Any news on the graphics cards? Would be a step backward to loose the discrete graphics.

No discrete graphics chips anymore. Downgraded to Intel graphics across the board. Weak.

I just realised that the new 13" Retina MacBook Pro doesn't even have discreet graphics. I'm not sure how they can get away with driving that many pixels with only a weak integrated graphics chip. The whole lineup looks quite poor at the moment in my opinion. The 13" rMBP and Mac Mini are hindered by poor graphics and the iMac's missing the retina display that everyone knows is due at some point. I see no reason to upgrade from my ageing tech at the moment.

andyjam

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I don't want to say I'm disappointed, but losing dedicated graphics (even just the half-useless chip they used before) makes this is a downgrade IMO.

Now I just don't know what to do...

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Waste of time manufacturing this out.

It's nothing but a door stop and a use for surfing the web and email. Too bad. You put in more ram, hybrid drives and you can't manage a 7 series Mobile from AMD or a 6 series mobile from Nvidia. Pathetic.

famerdave

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
No more graphic cards? What?! I was waiting on buying one for the refresh. I know on the old models, you could play Battlefield 3 with low graphics, how about on this one?

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Will have to see if there's much difference between these and the old ones. With discrete gfx, the previous gen might actually have some advantages.

Anyone know how the 4000 stacks up?

famerdave

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
This Intel HD 4000 does have 512MB of graphic power though, so I would imagine, you might be surprised.

eklof

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Ths SSD option was a bit steep. How hard is it to replace HD in these newer minis? A 120GB 120 dollar SSD is good enough for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.