Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malloryjones

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2011
No. It's not outrageous. Just because you bought a product, it doesn't mean that the world will stop until YOU decide that it's worth it.

We're talking about a few months early for the update. That's it. If this had been announced in February or March? All you people bitching your brains out would be proclaiming about what a nice update it was.

The processor in the iPad 3 is still totally functional, and I guarantee that all those complaining would upgrade before it becomes "inferior". It will still run the top games amazingly, still push the limits of the retina display, and all that stuff that it did yesterday.

All this whining amounts to is a bunch of spoiled children throwing tantrums because the neighbor kid got a cooler toy than the one they got a few months ago.

Wow, you sound like a religious zealot. Only your religion is Apple. Never mind.

snow blind

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
I heard there is no ipad 3 in stock to buy, it just vanished :(

WOW:mad::mad:

aint nice apple though no one is gonna buy that again since the new one is out.:eek:
Yeah this is what i'm questioning. I believe Apple saw the 3rd generation as a mistake of sorts and wanted to bury it with (what they should have done in the first place) the 4th generation. The 3rd gen is gone... no price drop for the older tech... no replacing the ipad 2's position. Just disappeared.

Photogdave

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2011
You guys kill me. All the people so pissed off because they can NO longer say they own the top of the line, newest iPad.
Thats SO STUPID!!!! You bought an iPad 3. It works just as good now as it did when you bought it.
An announcement of an update does nothing to render it less of a product.
If you bought an iPad 3 for the sole purpose of saying "I own an iPad3, its the newest and best Apple sells".....well then you got what you deserved for being so shallow and materialistic. Learn to wait for the updates that matter to YOU instead of trying to be on top, or "Keep up with the Jone's"

Thats the sole reason i haven't bought one yet. I cant see why I should spend $500 on a bigger iPhone. Really, thats what it is. Its a bigger iPhone.
Its nice to view games and movies on, but I have a laptop, so whats the point.
But hey, I don't just throw my money around for the sake of saying, "I own this or or that"
Thats what all you are crying about. "I bought an iPad 3 6-months ago and now they release an update, so now mine is not the newest and outdated"
Boo hoo!

Stop whining over stupid crap, learn to be thankful for what you have. You own an iPad 3 damn it. And you probably have an iPhone, and a Mac Book too. God help any of you if something happens and you cant always have all the newest, best toys. You'll be throwing yourselves off bridges left and right.

That said, I think it was a nice update.
For those of you who havent seen benchmark testing on these newer processors like one in iPhone, they are a great deal faster.
iPhone 5 has tested repeatedly way ahead of iPad3 and all other phones on market.
I bet this new processor will put it miles ahead in graphics etc than anything else out there in Tablet.
New Facetime cam is nice too.
No its not worth ditching a 3 just to get those things, but if you really want it, sell and pay difference.
But its great for those who chilled and waited and can now buy this at same price as 3 yesterday.
Good for me, this will make a great Christmas gift for the mother in Law who has killed 4 PC Laptops with Facebook Games. Itll be perfect for her.
And she can now Facetime in 720 with me on my new iPhone 5 next month.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Considering they're still selling the ipad 2 and now the new mini, I don't think there will be any shortage of apps and games for iPad 3.

Another factor is OS support. But again, with iPad 2 still for sale, that shouldn't be an issue either.

The iPad 2 And mini do not run at retina.
For a retina display you need double sized images..

Currently a lot of games designed for retina are actually running at a lower resolution than the retina display... It's usually 1.5x times the standard display. This is because the retina ipad3 is too underpowered to run the games at the native retina resolution.
Another sacrifice is certain graphics are not doubled... sometimes GUI graphics are retina, then things like textures in the game world are the standard resolution.
IPad 3 games are also using less effects sometimes. Again because of the less memory.
There was an article on this with examples a few months back..

With the ipad4, there will be non of these issues (assuming there is more ram..l double the ipad2 and 3).
Graphic rich apps and games can take advantage of the display and actually run at retina resolution with out any slow downs. They can run textures at a higher res and look crisp.

The ipad3 was too underpowered in the ram department, and with apple completely discontinuing it developers will move on to take advantage of the latest hardware... The only retina device available will be ipad4 so that's what they will build for.

IPad2 (and mini) will last longer end be more supported for apps than the ipad3.

jazzguitar

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2008
Dear God some of you are such whiners! Here's a newsflash: you don't have to always have the newest device! If yesterday you were happy with the iPad you bought 6 months ago how does this change things?! Nobody has a gun to your head forcing you to upgrade. You should know by now that current technology won't be new and cutting edge forever, I applaud Apple for getting competitive.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Because obviously developers don't want their apps to run on the 100 million current iPads out there now. Just the 0 million of iPad 4s right?

Don't be dumb. Of course they want their games to run on current iOS devices. It's just some of them will delay their games to run even better/look better on the updated hardware of the iPad 4.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
The iPad 2 And mini do not run at retina.
For a retina display you need double sized images..

Currently a lot of games designed for retina are actually running at a lower resolution than the retina display... It's usually 1.5x times the standard display. This is because the retina ipad3 is too underpowered to run the games at the native retina resolution.
Another sacrifice is certain graphics are not doubled... sometimes GUI graphics are retina, then things like textures in the game world are the standard resolution.
IPad 3 games are also using less effects sometimes. Again because of the less memory.
There was an article on this with examples a few months back..

With the ipad4, there will be non of these issues (assuming there is more ram..l double the ipad2 and 3).
Graphic rich apps and games can take advantage of the display and actually run at retina resolution with out any slow downs. They can run textures at a higher res and look crisp.

The ipad3 was too underpowered in the ram department, and with apple completely discontinuing it developers will move on to take advantage of the latest hardware... The only retina device available will be ipad4 so that's what they will build for.

IPad2 (and mini) will last longer end be more supported for apps than the ipad3.

iPad 3 has 1GB of RAM, iPad 2 has 512mb.

Audioholic

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
I wanted to buy an iPad some weeks ago, but didn't because of 4th generation rumours. Glad I did!! But I still won't buy one now..

A6X processor is great news, certainly. Lightning? Don't care much. Improved camera and ISP? Would have been using my iPhone 4S, doesn't look pathetic and is more portable.

The reasons I still won't buy one though?
Weight wasn't reduced, it's not slimmer, heat issues with an A5X? O, lord what might an A6X do..?

But the main reason is I really want an iPad with the new iPhone 5/iPad Mini Slate shell. So much more prettier than the current silver back. Look at the Slate Mini how beautifully the front and back are one! I hope/bet/anticipate this design will transfer to the 5th iPad generation as well.

So, I take my chances and wait for March 2013 (hopefully).
Let the part leaks surface!

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Yeah this is what i'm questioning. I believe Apple saw the 3rd generation as a mistake of sorts and wanted to bury it with (what they should have done in the first place) the 4th generation. The 3rd gen is gone... no price drop for the older tech... no replacing the ipad 2's position. Just disappeared.

The iPad 1 was also replaced by the iPad 2, no price drop for the older tech. It just disappeared.
They did not consider the iPad 1 to be a mistake.

Carmenia83

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2012
I'm just annoyed because of resale value. I haven't been happy with ipad 3's weight/heat/battery life and was gonna sell it when ipad mini came out. Now that there's a 4th gen, I won't even get enough for this one to break even on a mini. Guess I'm the idiot for not selling it yesterday lol.

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
Jeez, what a bunch of spoiled kids! Seriously guys, lighten up! :p

I got an iPad 3 on launch day and have had 7 months of daily use out of it so far. Guess what? It will continue to provide many more months of daily use regardless of the existence of the 4th gen iPad announced today! Would I like a 4th gen iPad? Yes of course I would. Will I be buying one? No I won't.

Apple have made some significant innovations lately with their manufacturing processes, custom A6 CPU design, batteries, screens, wireless radios etc. and you guys should be happy to see that innovation come through into their products. They could just as easily sit on their hands and let the competition overtake them. Would that make you lot any happier?

Apple were pushing the envelope of what was possible with the iPad 3 but what else are/were they supposed to do? Should they have not released the iPad 3 at all and waited until now instead? The press and stock market would have slaughtered them. Should they sit on their hands and wait until March 2013 when they are in a position to release a new generation? Should they continue to sell the iPad 3 with the old dock connector for another 6 months? Have you guys even thought about any of this?

I don't have any inside info on the decisions which Apple have had to make recently but given what I do know, I don't see what other decision they could have made. The iPad 3 is not obsolete, not even close. Apple's entire line of latest mobile products are now using the new dock connector. The iPad is better aligned with the holiday buying season. The competition are held in check for a while longer and anyone buying an iPad now will enjoy an even better experience!

So FWIW, my advice is to enjoy your iPad 3 and forget all about the iPad 4. Be happy for those who are about to buy an iPad 4 or iPad Mini and be happy that Apple are continuing to innovate.

/sermon-over

:D

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
You have had use of the iPad 3, and if you decide to resell you will lose on that depreciation. But that's your choice.

iPads, or any Apple product and nearly every other consumer product, are not investments. No manufacturer owes it to the consumer to protect their long-term financial position!

You wanted an iPad...you bought an iPad...you used that iPad...enjoy it for many months/years to come.

All true. It's also my choice if I want to support Apple and line their pockets.
Part of the reason I buy their stuff is because I feel like I'm buying a certain level of security on my investment. Of course you're right in saying that no manufacturer owes consumers a thing. However, Apple has, for the past decade, developed a reputation as the rare manufacturer who DOES care about this stuff, and that's why I buy into it. They are no longer living up to that. First they don't support airplay mirroring in Snow Leopard for machines that aren't even 2 years old. Then they rev the iPad 7 months after the last iteration. Then they release an iPad mini with a non retina screen that you KNOW will be revved to retina inside of a year. It's stopped being about creating awesome products for customers. More and more, it's about the cash grab. I pay more for Apple stuff because it's awesome, and I can count on it lasting. Slowly, that's becoming less true, and slowly, I'm less inclined to give them my cash.

Does anything today make my iPad 3 less usable? No, of course not. I'd by lying if I said I wasn't upset about it, but at the end of the day you're right... no difference. On the other hand, I remember a day where I looked forward to Apple events and wanted to spend my money on awesome stuff. I fear those days are done. Apple gets nothing from me this time around, and worse for them, they've also lowered my opinion of them.

st1y

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
The way I look at thing is...

Everyone can talk about how its just a spec bump... but no one has an iPad 4th gen yet... for all we know, it's going to kill all the other iPads like how the iPhone 5 kills the 4S...

it sucks cause we have an expectation for Apple to release a new product every year... many will feel betrayed... I personally still feel betrayed when they changed it to the lightning...

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Aside from gaming, what is the A6X good for over the A5X? My iPad 3 is plenty fast and smooth.

The ipad3 will get plenty of iOS updates anyways. Who wants HD FaceTime without a super fast Internet connection and a very photogenic face?

At this point, only benchmarks will see the benefit.

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Don't agree with your thought process. To replace a product in 6 months with such a superior processor is very upsetting for those of us who have purchased the 3rd gen in the last few months. Of course the 3rd gen is not useless but that is besides the point. The point is that the product is costly and is now carrying a 50% inferior processor which will ensure software slowdown in the coming months. Outrageous.

LOL sorry, you're just making up excuses to be butthurt. No OS update will "slow down" until mayyyyybe iOS 7 -though i doubt it as iOS typically works perfectly fine on the previous gen of hardware. iOS 7 won't be out until next fall with the new iPhone.

As for developers, they have to target iPad2/3 level devices as their primary market. You can't ignore 100 million users, plus all the new mini users because you have no market to sell your apps to if you focus on iPad 4 at this stage.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

indeed i feel like i bought an prototype now and they rushed it out this spring

heating issues, slow charging etc. and now the device has vanished off the earth ... filler iPad

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Dear God some of you are such whiners! Here's a newsflash: you don't have to always have the newest device! If yesterday you were happy with the iPad you bought 6 months ago how does this change things?! Nobody has a gun to your head forcing you to upgrade. You should know by now that current technology won't be new and cutting edge forever, I applaud Apple for getting competitive.

The problem is we visit this site so much to hear about the latest and greatest, it's hard to resist buying the latest and greatest. Or to stay calm. lol. :eek:

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I wanted to buy an iPad some weeks ago, but didn't because of 4th generation rumours. Glad I did!! But I still won't buy one now..

A6X processor is great news, certainly. Lightning? Don't care much. Improved camera and ISP? Would have been using my iPhone 4S, doesn't look pathetic and is more portable.

The reasons I still won't buy one though?
Weight wasn't reduced, it's not slimmer, heat issues with an A5X? O, lord what might an A6X do..?

But the main reason is I really want an iPad with the new iPhone 5/iPad Mini Slate shell. So much more prettier than the current silver back. Look at the Slate Mini how beautifully the front and back are one! I hope/bet/anticipate this design will transfer to the 5th iPad generation as well.

So, I take my chances and wait for March 2013 (hopefully).
Let the part leaks surface!

You'll be waiting until October 2013 for the 5th generation iPad.

maccompatible

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
This is CRAP TALK. The iPad 3 is now one generation closer to being obsoleted in terms of iOS upgradeability, which means it's that much closer to being outdated, period. Sure, it still "does what it did when we bought it," but so do lots of things that are outdated. That kind of talk is what blind fanboys say. This is not a good move by any means. This doesn't make me trust Apple any more than I ever have - I trust Apple less now because of this. Go ahead and buy the 4th gen iPad... see how you feel when it's replaced by the 5th gen in March, in FIVE MONTHS. Apple is on the verge of becoming exactly what they had made fun of in the past with Android - a company that starts rolling out new products too frequently.

I'll tell you what this does. It makes me think that next time I'm considering a new tablet, phone, etc, I need to reconsider my objection to Android and Windows devices. At least you know what you're getting into there. Apple hasn't typically stuck it to their buyers like this. Very disappointed. Very, very disappointed.

I don't understand, though. They're still selling new iPad 2s. I'm pretty sure the iPad 3 will be supported longer than the iPad 2. So what about the people buying iPad 2s now? Should they be worried about obsolescence any more than me?

Another point. If you were happy with the iPad 3 when it came out, as I was, you would buy it. If not, you know apple will release a new one in a year. Assuming you waited, you should be thrilled it wasn't long until a refresh. If you didn't wait, chances are you don't care, like me, because it still will be supported for a long time down the road. A LONG time. It'll probably break before it becomes obsolete.

And another idea, quit calling names. I'm not a fanboy. You have no right. How dare you?

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
How hard is it for some to comprehend that not all of us are complaining because we want to say we have the best. I'm not that naive or vain.

I am worried from a support point of view. My device has been DISCONTINUED after 7 months of sale. High end apps (games) will be a huge issue going forward.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.