Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Yes Apple is a business.
Yes Christmas and Windows 8 are around the corner.
Yes they released a great product called the new iPad back in the Spring, and since the camera was improved, I upgraded from the 2.
This still sucks for a number of reasons:

1. Resale value just plummeted. At least back in March, the iPad 2 was still in existence and I could morally sell to someone for just under the cheaper price Apple was selling for. Now - the 3rd generation iPad is no longer on the Apple website. I got a value of $250.00 on the Apple Reuse and Recycling Site. That blows.

2. The processor and HD Facetime camera should have been in this iPad in the first place and Apple should have waited to release this as a total product.

3. The greed here is killing me. Loyal customers who upgraded a product they thought would be the newest for at least a year were bamboozled. Apple really doesn't give a crap about anything but the bottom line.

:(

Lol,yeah apple should have totally waited half a year in the newest, hottest market just to make you feel good.

I mean they're totally greedy ****s -your arrogance and pride in having the most fastest, bestest electronics gadget every single moment for a whole year is such a much more lofty and moral goal than their evil, dirty lust for money.

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
People have to relax. The iPad 4th shouldn't replace your iPad 3rd gen.
and your iPad 3rd gen is still useful as it was with the same resolution.

this new ipad just give more people chance to buy it with the new connector and improved graphics on the way..

dbo43867

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
A friend of mine dislikes Apple. Her argument is she dislikes the way they release an updated version every year an urge you to drop your older version and buy the new one.

I've always disagreed with her, saying that every company releases a new version approximately every year, they just don't get much attention when doing so.

You are right with the second part. Every decent technology company updates products every year, and they should be much better than last years. If you feel the compulsive need to upgrade every single year, it isn't Apple's problem.

Acemannw

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2009
I have news for you no matter what technology you buy there will always be a better one come out, usually within a few months. This is the nature of the tech world. Why are you shocked or suprised??? This is also Apple's way of selling another 100 Million iPads. They have to canabalize some of sales they have all ready made.

To someones point about iPad resale values. I have been seeing iPad 2 32 gb with 3g going for $225 here in the Minneapolis area!!! This is a fairly large departure from the values were were seeing last year.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Very angry, sorry.

I know my iPad does all the same it did, but I waited until the third gen, shelled out £649 for THE top end model, and it got 7 months on the market.

I play a lot of games, and my iPad is left behind before it even got a killer app.

Real Racing 3 ... *sigh*

Can't help but feel scunnered.

Guess we now know why the new Infinity Blade Dungeons was pushed out until 2013....meaning it will likely run like crap on anything below the iPad 4th Gen.

Maybe Apple will create an UPDATE-PROGRAM for those uf us, who bought the 3rd Gen iPad?!

Possible?

Oh absolutely....and a free pony with every purchase of a non-retina Macbook Pro too!

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
I will never buy a apple product again. How dare they take £500 off me 6 months ago and then release a new ipad today. Tim Cook has just confirmed what a moron he really is does he really think he can con apples loyal fans. I will be selling my ipad 3 new ipad whatever its called to buy a windows surface. **** Apple raging

Wow, what an amazing attitude: innovation must cease because you made a personal decision to purchase a particular product.

Hope you enjoy the Windows surface, Might be a perfect fit for you.

C N Reilly

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
It is still possible that those of us with Applecare+ will be able to get the "bump" up, due to the iPad 3 being retired and put into the "refurb" bin.

Possible but unlikely, at least for some months. They keep a ton of iPads in storage for AppleCare+. I just got a replacement iPad 3 yesterday, shipped from China since it had to be engraved, and it had been sitting in the warehouse so long it still had iOS 5.1.1 on it.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
VERBAGE IN APPLECARE+
http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/applecareplusforipadenglish.pdf
3.1 Hardware Service
"If during the Plan Term, you submit a valid claim by notifying Apple that (i) a defect in materials and
workmanship has arisen in the Covered iPad or, (ii) the capacity of the Covered iPad’s battery to hold an
electrical charge has depleted fifty (50%) percent or more from its original specifications, Apple will
either (a) repair the defect at no charge, using new or refurbished parts that are equivalent to new in
performance and reliability, or (b) exchange the Covered iPad with a replacement product that is new or
equivalent to new in performance and reliability, and is at least functionally equivalent to the original
product. If Apple exchanges the Covered iPad, the original product becomes Apple’s property and the
replacement product is your property, with coverage for the remaining period of the Plan.
"

I am going to choose option (b).

I don't think it is your option to choose. It is almost assuredly Apple's.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
so let me get this straight...the iPad 3 I paid $499 in March 2012 is NO LONGER AVAILABLE AT ALL...and instead of offering it for $399, Apple magically only offers the iPad 2 (well over 1.5 years old) for $399.

I was going to get my mom a $399 iPad but not the crusty old 2.0!!!!!

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
I can afford one a lot sooner than you, pal ... the FACT is that doing so does not represent value for money.

See, I can be a presumptuous arse too.

No, I'm sure you're quite right! I don't have any iPad (although I would like one) because money is tight and I have other priorities. Such is life.

Yup, agree 100% and it is that which fuels my fears.

Fears that Real Racing 3 will be a little choppy on your iPad 3? Oh the humanity.

Well if pointing out how ridiculous the collective whining of grown men sounds, because they don't have the best toy in the playground for a few months, makes me 'a presumptuous arse'… I can live with that.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Is it lighter or thinner?

Ipad 3 didnt interest me as it just felt too uncomfortable to hold compared to my iPad 2, and the huge battery took much longer to re-charge.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
So basically, all of us who bought a "new iPad" (especially those of us who skipped the 2 and waited for the 3) are basically chumps in their eyes. A can not believe that Apple would abuse it's customers like this!

I can, after all they are a business.

Even though I feel pretty cheated you can understand why Apple did this. The competition is much closer on Apple's tail this year than they ever have been.

Apple also doesn't have the best morals as a company anyway. They silence critics by not allowing them to attend their events of they give negative reviews, they use firmware updates to try to patch obvious hardware defects and they have had some of the worst QC issues I've seen in recent years (2007 iPods, were they even turned on and tested?).

Customer service is excellent but at the end of the day Apple is a company and their aim is to make money.

Yes I feel your pain as I was one of the many that purchased the iPad 3 (64GB) but I can understand why they did this.

At best there may be a upgrade discount program if there is enough noise made.

maka

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2002
Madrid (Spain)
The iPad3 wasn't powerful enough for the retina display, that's pretty clear. CoreGraphics using the retina display on an iPad3 was noticeably slower than the iPad2 with its standard resolution. I think it makes sense to update the iPad3.

Now, about new games taking advantage of the new processor, yeah, it's probably right but that won't mean those games won't work on the iPad3, some will, others may not support the retina display. But the device won't become obsolete overnight...

I still have my iPad2 and haven't felt the need to upgrade at all... games work very well and I'm sure developers will support it for quite a while because there are many people owning them and it's still being sold. And if something works on the iPad2, be sure it will work on an iPad3... At this point, not supporting the iPad2 would be a crazy move by any developer...

Greenshorts

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
I'm more annoyed I brought my new ipad 3 months ago not knowing that I could of waited and had a 4g enabled one on EE.

duaneu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Bellevue, WA
People obsessed with always having the latest and greatest deserve to be parted from their money. No one is forcing you to upgrade every time a product is updated. I'm fine with getting a new phone every 2 years and a new laptop every 3-4 years. Tablets are still a fairly new category, but I'm thinking 2-3 years for an iPad.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
This quick update cycle is going make the ipads depreciate much faster now.

Who cares? Instead of upgrading every year, you'll buy a new gadget twice a year. I'm happy with my late 2009 White Macbook with just a RAM upgrade.

I'm almost sure Samsung has a similar aggressive lifecycle for their products, so Apple is synchronizing its update schedule with the market.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
I don't think it is your option to choose. It is almost assuredly Apple's.

I am not even going to damage/destroy my iPad (3rd) Gen. It is still in pristene shape. This still lets me exchange it an unlimited number of times, and avoid having to pay a $49 exchange fee as it is not a problem due to ADH.

3.2 Accidental Damage from Handling
If during the Plan Term you submit a valid claim notifying Apple that the Covered iPad has failed due to
accidental damage from handling (“ADH”), Apple will subject to the service fee described below either (i)
repair the defect using new or refurbished parts that are equivalent to new in performance and
reliability, or (ii) exchange the Covered iPad with a replacement product that is new or equivalent to new
in performance and reliability, and is at least functionally equivalent to the original product (both
individually known as a “Service Event”). ADH coverage will expire and all of Apple’s obligations to
you under this section 3.2 will be fulfilled in its entirety before the end of the Plan Term when
Apple, as a result of ADH claims, has provided to you two (2) Service Events. ADH coverage only
applies to an operational or mechanical failure caused by an accident from handling that is the result of
an unexpected and unintentional external event (e.g., drops and liquid contact) that arises from your
normal daily usage of the Covered iPad as intended for such Covered iPad. ADH coverage does not
include (a) protection against normal wear and tear, theft, misplacement, reckless, abusive, willful or
intentional conduct associated with handling and use of the Covered iPad, (b) protection against any
other act or result not covered by the Plan, as described in Section 4.2 below, or (c) any resultant
damage to the Covered iPad that arises from one or more conditions described in Section 3.2(a) or (b).
You will pay a $49 (U.S.) dollar service fee plus applicable tax for each ADH claim, and may be asked
to provide an explanation of where and when the accident occurred with a detailed description of the
actual event. A claim will be denied if you fail to pay the service fee or fail to provide information relating
to the accident when asked.

Either they will get tired of exchanging a 3rd Gen for a 3rd Gen, or they will provide me with a 4th Gen.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Well if pointing out how ridiculous the collective whining of grown men sounds, because they don't have the best toy in the playground for a few months, makes me 'a presumptuous arse'… I can live with that.

Yeah cause everyone has a disposable income of at least $500 every few months.

Its easy for you guys to sit here and say what cry babies we are when you weren't the ones that spent hard earned money on a model that got outdated in 6 months.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Is it lighter or thinner?

Ipad 3 didnt interest me as it just felt too uncomfortable to hold compared to my iPad 2, and the huge battery took much longer to re-charge.
I'd like to know this too. Only thing I've read so far are panicked fanboys claiming the only changes are the chipset and connector.

The leaked iPad 4 parts clearly showed a slimmer back case.

pugmohone

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Lol,yeah apple should have totally waited half a year in the newest, hottest market just to make you feel good.

I mean they're totally greedy ****s -your arrogance and pride in having the most fastest, bestest electronics gadget every single moment for a whole year is such a much more lofty and moral goal than their evil, dirty lust for money.

Has nothing to do with arrogance or pride. It has to do with expectations. Apple has traditionally not released 2 upgrades to a flagship product within a year. If myself, or 99% of people who purchased the iPad 3 knew this was in the works, I guarantee we would have waited. I loved my iPad 2 and only upgraded because of the camera upgrade. Its a real kick in the nuts to see that had I waited until now, I could of had a newer front camera as well as a double proc for the same amount of money.

now go judge someone else because you have never been disappointed in anything in your whole life.

st1y

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
everyone has a right to be mad... but no one should be putting down other for their beliefs... it does suck... but no offense that what we get for loving apple!

and that's the big difference here... it's expected from others to refresh their products every 3-4 months... but at least we know it's coming out in a few months... Apple tries to keep everything a big secret... so when new products or upgrades come along that we had no idea about we get caught off guard...

who know what else apple has in store for us...

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
Easy for you to say when you aren't the one that just shelled out $900 on the top of the line iPad 3 a few months ago now is it? Its a lot different being outside of the window looking in rather than being inside looking out.

The A6 is nearly three times as powerful as the A5, this means that this device just shortened the life span considerably for the iPad 3 (A5X).

Though I must say its nice to see the iPad finally getting top of the line processing power WITH the iPhone instead of getting put on the back burner vs the iPhone.

I really feel bad for the first gen iPad users. They upgraded to the iPad 3 thinking they'd get decent life with it only to get the shaft again. The iPad 1 was pathetic to start out with.

It also further complicates things. People aren't going to want to buy the next generation iPad because they'll fear they'll be outdated in 6 months. Who wants to spend as much as the asking price of the iPad just to have it be outdated again? Its one thing to change the connector, maybe the camera but its quite another to change to a processor 3 times faster.

Funny you accuse me of that. I wrote that post from my iPad 3, which is only a few months old. And here's the kicker - I paid for the top of the line model as well. The difference? I'm not some whining **** who somehow believes that a new product makes mine any less shiny.

As for it being complicated further, there will be lines on launch day just like every other Apple product launch. You're a fool to doubt that.

The iPad 1 was a totally usable device. I used mine for two years, then gave it to my mom who used it for another year after. It did its job very well. As have my iPad 2's, current iPad 3, and I know the iPad 4 I'll get will do the same. As a developer, I make my living by designing apps to work on them all.

At the end of the day, I see progress as a good thing, and have a reason to get the latest toys. November 2 will be a fun day for me with two new iPads to set up. But the previous gens that I use for testing? They still totally work. They're still just as usable as they were when I bought them on their respective launches.
As someone who designs on every device, I see how little really differentiates them. Hence why I see people like you and all the others in this thread who are bitching up a storm as pathetic. You have this mentality of "It's **** unless it's the latest model." It's idiotic, and blind consumerism. There are people here who are looking at their iPad 3 that's a few months old as if it's worthless and the object of scorn. Where a few hours ago they were perfectly happy with them. That's beyond stupid.

The lifespan isn't shortened at all. You have the iPad 2 and iPad mini both running A5 chips. The mini is brand new, and has lower specs than the iPad 3, so there's no "shortened" lifespan here. If anything, it's been significantly lengthened, as more developers will add options for better performance to cater to the iPad mini.

Again. These complaints equate to being from children throwing tantrums over someone else's toy being shinier. It's pathetic.

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
I have a hard time believing people are upset that there is a new iPad this soon after the last one. IMHO it's the best thing Apple could have done for the iPad. Can you imagine if they waited a year and pulled a 4S with this upgrade? This way Apple has a new product for the holidays that is not a big enough leap that people with a 3rd gen need to upgrade and they can wow everyone with a drastically improved iPad next year. In the mobile realm, waiting a year to upgrade everything is practical suicide. iPad is in the lead and to stay that way, they need to get updating their products more frequently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.