Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the introduction of the new 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro at its media event, Apple invited attendees to spend some time with the machine. Overall, the early hands-on impressions are favorable, with the reduction in thickness and weight making a significant difference for professionals on the go, but the high price tag associated with the Retina display and solid-state storage mean that it likely won't quite be able to inherit the non-Retina model's popularity just yet.

Engadget:
For starters, it's wildly thin. No, not manilla envelope thin, but thin enough to slip into most briefcases and backpacks without the consumer even noticing. Outside of that, it's mostly a shrunken version of the 15-incher let loose over the summer. The unibody design is as tight as ever, with the fit and finish continuing to impress. In my estimation, this is Apple's most deliberate move yet to differentiate the 13-inch MacBook Pro from the 13-inch MacBook Air.
retina_macbook_pro_13_hands_on.jpg
TechCrunch:
It's clear that Apple wants this new version of its top-performer to take over as a product that redefines the laptop category, and judging by limited hands-on experience, there's good reason to believe they'll eventually get their wish, though not just yet. [..]

As for how it performed, it was very much like using the 15-inch rMBP, which is my main machine currently. In the hand, however, it feels significantly lighter, at about a pound lighter than the bigger model. That's a big difference for a machine you carry around with you all day, and alone might sway some users, price considerations aside.
SlashGear:
Freshly announced today, and falling under our eager fingers straight after Apple's San Jose launch event, the new notebook follows the successful route of its bigger brother. Gone is the optical drive, in comes the super-high-resolution screen, and wide open pop our wallets.

The screen size may be smaller - and lower resolution, too, at 2560 x 1600, though for an overall higher pixel density of 227ppi - but actually the 13-inch model is slightly thicker, at 0.75-inches. In contrast, the 15-inch Retina version is 0.71-inches thick. You don't really notice the difference, however, and the advantage in weight, with near a full pound dropped, more than makes up for it.
The Verge:
The resolution settings for the display are just like the larger MacBook Pro -- but the maximum allowed resolution is 1680 x 1050, unlike the 1920 x 1080 setting offered on the 15-inch model. Still, 1680 x 1050 is a tremendous option on a display of this size, though at the "best for Retina" setting the screen offers an effective 1280 x 800. If you've been using a 15-inch MacBook Pro for the screen size, the 13-inch just got a ton more attractive.

Article Link: Hands On with Apple's New 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
With no discrete graphics card, what differentiates this from a MacBook Air [if they were to drop a Retina display in it?] :confused:

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I will never buy a 13" macbook.
For portablility, I like the 11" air, and for real work, I can't deal with a screen smaller than 15". Even that is too small sometimes. I miss the 17".

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
I'm a little bummed not to see quad core CPU (or even a BTO option) for the 13" rMBP. That was the one thing that makes me pause when I think about buying one (though I'm perfectly happy with my 2011 13"MBA and quad core iMac).

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Well, I'm sure I'll be attacked for this, but I'm gonna say it anyway:

Tiny harddrive, barely enough RAM (and not upgradable to the "enough" level), no dedicated graphics, only dual-core processors. It certainly isn't bad, but Apple just took the "pro" out of the 13" line. And come on - it's freaking expensive. If you upgrade the SSD to 512gb and get an i7 (still dual-core - WTF?) processor, it's only 99$ cheaper than the mid-level 15" rMBP, which packs a heck of a lot more power. What gives???

the 13" is NOT a pro device in my opinion. It's more like a beefed-up and slightly heavier Macbook Air. For that, it just costs way too much.

Reactions: adamjackson

ArchAndroid

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
London, England
They should add this sticker next to the keyboard:

WARNING!

Intel HD Graphics Inside. Avoid scrolling, zooming, dragging windows and other graphically intensive activities.

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
Apple Inc.'s shares are down 1.8 percent to $622.34 in afternoon trading. The stock is down 12 percent from the all-time high of $705.07 touched on Sept. 21.
:(

If I was a shareholder then I'd be worried after seeing that keynote.

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2011
I can't wait for the time when I can afford a notebook with retina display ;)
And... No 16GB RAM option, really??

It's a very nice device. But with small RAM, slow graphic and that price some happy customers have to pay a hefty early adopters fee. Enjoy!

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

WARNING!

Intel HD Graphics Inside. Avoid scrolling, zooming, dragging windows and other graphically intensive activities.

Tell me, have you ever used a 30" ACD connected to a MacBook since the switch to MiniDisplay Port in 2008 ? Because I've not had any issues with running 2560x1600 pixels on integrated graphics before...

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
I will never buy a 13" macbook.
For portablility, I like the 11" air, and for real work, I can't deal with a screen smaller than 15". Even that is too small sometimes. I miss the 17".

I thought the same thing till I bought a 13" and fell in love, it was a best of both worlds for me. but to each their own.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA

WARNING!

This. Intel HD integrated graphics = PASS.

For this price, I refuse to invest in another Intel chip as they try to figure out how to get their act together and make a GPU worth a damn. Oh yeah, and it is now driving a higher resolution screen which means it is taxed even more than regular leaving even LESS performance left on the table.

I will wait until official benchmarks are out but it isn't looking like too good of a deal as of right now.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Just ordered a maxed out one.

woo hoo
just ordered one of these toys to play with for 14 days !!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.