Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Download the demo and set aside some time to give it a workout. For the work I do, I like it better than 7 or Adobe. But if I had to use multiple layers or a really long format project (other than a wedding), I'd be a little hesitant. But everything I do is usually 5 minutes or less.

What demo? Apple doesn't have a demo for FCPX

Daguerratype

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2011
What demo? Apple doesn't have a demo for FCPX

Yes they do, 30-day free trial:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/trial/

----------

I'm a current Final Cut Pro 7 user right now, can someone tell me if its worth upgrading to Final Cut Pro X yet?

I would agree with the general consensus. It's really good for shorter projects, and projects that don't need really heavy layering. Once you get used to the idea of working around a single track, and attaching things, you can really work very quickly.

For longer format work Premiere or Avid are the way to go. having a full, real, track systems becomes key when you start get into more detailed projects.

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
There isnt much to upgrade..
check out intels latest and greatest CPU's not a big difference between whats in there now and the new stuff

Intel really needs to crank up the speed on there workstation CPUs

I totally agree with the GPU comments,

Apple.. lets change the enclosure.. cut it in half..

Ya, especially since Apple uses the Mac Pro to show off FCPX. Oh wait...
http://images.apple.com/finalcutpro/images/hero.png
http://images.apple.com/finalcutpro/whats-new/images/dual_viewers.jpg
http://images.apple.com/finalcutpro/whats-new/images/red_camera.jpg
http://images.apple.com/finalcutpro/what-is/images/revolutionary_magnetic.jpg

Apple never once uses the Mac Pro to show off their most hardware intensive application. Sure, you might say who cares. But that is the closest thing they have to a professional application and they show it off on laptops. Face it, Apple doesn't care about the professional market. They are waiting to update the Mac Pro in 2013. That means a 3 year gap between updates. No company who actually cares about a specific type of customer will refuse them new products, new CPUs, or new GPUs for that long because if they do, those customers will switch to another platform. Time is money, and people can't just wait forever for a faster Mac Pro when they need to get work done. They just go to someone else that will provide the power they need. And not to mention the 2013 Mac Pro update could totally suck. It could just be a slight bump to bring on current I/O options as well as a minor spec bump. The Mac Pro doesn't even come with proper GPUs. No professional GPU is standard. The base GPU is a 5770, a low end gaming card, and a 5870, a mid range gaming card. The Evergreen GPU family, 5870 and 5770, are now over 3 years old and Apple has not even touched them. That's pathetic. And if we are waiting til 2013 for a Mac Pro update, that means the GPUs will be nearing 4 years old. And Apple could easily update just the GPUs and have pro customers buy them by themselves. But they don't. If Apple really wanted to cater to the professionals, they would have Quadros or Firepros standard, not gaming cards. Tell me one other company that sells workstations with gaming cards as the only options when you customize it online. Sure, you can buy a Quadro 4000, which is over 2 years old and inferior drivers compared to running one in Windows. And you can't even add one when building a Mac Pro. You have to first pay for a gaming card then you can buy a professional GPU. If Apple offered the upcoming Quadro K2000, K4000, and K5000 as the only GPU options for the 2013 Mac Pro, then maybe I would think that Apple still cares about professionals. But there is no evidence that makes me think they do.

Rant over.

Cactii

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Great to see they have finally implemented the features which should have been there in the first place. I didn't read anything about performance improvements which made me switch to Premier and After Effects. Both, Final Cut and Motion were not pleasant to use on 2.4GHz MacBook Pro with 8gigs of ram and Hybrid Drive. If they fix the performance I might have another look but for now Adobe is getting my money and I feel very comfortable using their products. ;)

littleday

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
FCPX for the win.

I have been using FCPX since day 1 of its release... and for about 1-2 weeks of using it, i was banging my head on the table thinking WTF apple.....

Now, i completely see what they are getting at. I haven't opened Prem Pro or Final Cut for probably 8 months now.

Dont try and treat it how you normally would with PP or FCP7, treat it how it was made to be designed, then you will really see what apple was thinking when they made this program. Admittedly, up until 10.0.3, it was a pretty avg program. With 10.0.6, its just getting better and better.

So spend the 1-2 weeks banging your head into a table, get the sense knocked into you, try the tutorials, and actually give it a go, dont just hate it because everyone else hates it.

relbbircs

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2007
I used Sound Track Pro for about five years but switched to Adobe Audition after the initial FCPX debacle. Couldn't be happier. I'm vaguely curious about the new FCPX audio features but probably not enough to give them a try.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I can't agree more, but somehow, some way, people will still complain :(

No professional production house is going to use FCP X. No one wants to learn new software.

They've either stuck with FCP 7 or moved on to AVID.

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
This just isn't true. There are a lot of places still using v7. I haven't seen any post houses switch because they're not angry fanboys who switch sides. v7 still works for whatever workflow people were using a year ago.

I can second this - I work in a big post house and none of our four Final Cut 7 machines have been replaced with Avid Symphony or Premiere Pro. We have Avid suites, but our techs haven't even flirted with the idea of connecting our machine room with Premiere. Let alone dropping Final Cut and replacing the macs with PC's running Symphony, that would be way too costly.

Then again, we were on 2006 versions of Smoke and Flame up until last year.

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
No professional production house is going to use FCP X. No one wants to learn new software.

They've either stuck with FCP 7 or moved on to AVID.

And that's one of the ridiculous reasons for people not giving FCPX a go - time to learn a new program and challenge many techniques they already take for granted. I understand many people's initial 'hurt' when FCPX was released last year (missing many keys features and functions), but a common whinge I heard from fellow editors in field was 'finding' the time to learn FCPX's new set-up. Poor excuse (funny thing, though, is many people needed to learn Avid or PP when leaving the Apple boat!).

That's the way of the world - learning and updating. Doctors do it, teachers do it, and people who rely on computers do it. No reason why digital editors can't do it. If the reason, however, is something else, then fine: move over to Avid or PP. But if it's whinging about the time it will take to learn FCPX then that excuse simply doesn't wash. Anyhow, rant over.

PS. I've been using FCPX since 10.0.3, deciding to sit down with it for 2-3 days earlier this year and find out why Apple changed it and discover what all the crying was about. Noticed some deficiencies but most of them are now gone, and FCPX is my preferred editing app. Love it!

Imhotep397

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Uh...can you actually save your own projects yet or are you still "not allowed?" As Walter Murch has said "I don't want my hand held in THAT way."

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
There isnt much to upgrade..
check out intels latest and greatest CPU's not a big difference between whats in there now and the new stuff=

2009 to 2010 MP CPU upgrade was minimal. Dual quad-cores at 2.93 for 8 cores, 16 threads. 2010 was dual hexa-core at 2.93 for 12 cores, 24 threads. Same thing can be done now, just different clock speeds. Dual 8-core for 16 cores, 32 threads. Just as much of a CPU bump as the last update. But there really is more to update this time around than the 2010 update. GPU especially. When the 2010 MP came out, the 5000 series was already on the decline in preparation for the 6000 series, and Apple just put in old technology from the start. And not to mention now they can add SATA 3 (still don't have that in MPs last I checked), Thunderbolt, and USB 3. And like I already mentioned, new Quadros if they wanted the Mac Pro to really be a professional machine.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I can't agree more, but somehow, some way, people will still complain :(

Yes.... but the Complainers are often the ones that push Apple to improve the products and lobby for the release of these well-received updates.

There are two types: the Legitimate Complainers, and the Useless Whiners.

The former are a very useful lot, because they typically use and love Apple products, so their gripes are valid because they tend to give constructive criticism. The latter, the Useless Whiners, are those who (by their nature) hate Apple and are endlessly critical of Apple, yet they have rarely used Apple products, or maybe they admit to having "abandoned" Apple years ago, and they only come to these forums to bash Apple's products while proselytizing rival products.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
These updates are too late! I edit at the 5th largest network in the U.S. We used to be 50% Avid 50% FCP. Ever since Apple stopped supporting FCP 7 and came out with FCP X, the network got rid of all FCP stations and it is now 100% Avid.

This post sounds like a piece of fiction. The user account has 1 post (this is it) and the account was created today. Are we suppose to believe that the accountants and IT department at the 5th largest network in the USA that is already using Avid & FCP 7 would simply dump the investment in Mac workstations and FCP 7 licenses within a year even though FCP 7 and those workstations are still fully functional? Why not just transition new employees to Avid since you cannot buy new FCP 7 licenses and move to 60/40 split rather than 50/50 as you wait for FCP X to mature?

This reads like "IBM did not like Windows 8 so the company got rid of all its Lenovo Thinkpads and bought MacBook Pros". It simply lacks a sense of credibility for how corporations function.

It also sounds like those "I switched from iOS to Android and haven't looked back" posts that come from folks who never owned an iOS device in their lives.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
It looks better, but it still has a long way to go. I'm still in FCP7 for most of my work and probably will be for at least a couple more years. For all my RED editing I've started dabbling in Premiere, and while it "works" it's not a quick and responsive nor intuitive as FCP.

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
I'm a current Final Cut Pro 7 user right now, can someone tell me if its worth upgrading to Final Cut Pro X yet?

Download the trial version and have a go at it. Just because someone else says "yes it's worth upgrading to FCP X" doesn't mean it's worth it for you. Also, even if it's 'worth it' for you in terms of features, it doesn't mean you'll like it - it's quite the jump from FCP Legacy.

For me, it's worth having a crack at it now. But I'll have to wait for a new iMac :D

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
These updates are too late! I edit at the 5th largest network in the U.S. We used to be 50% Avid 50% FCP. Ever since Apple stopped supporting FCP 7 and came out with FCP X, the network got rid of all FCP stations and it is now 100% Avid.

I bet you'd feel small if someone from the 4th largest network were to post here :)

nubero

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Zurich
aw now all the FCP haters have to switch back again XD

I'm afraid not. I'm actually in charge of switching 6 seats to Premiere. File handling and the timeline in FCPX are broken beyond repair. You would need a rewrite (again).

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Where's the Logic pro update?

----------

It's never too late. Depends on how good the new version is. If it puts Avid to shame? They won't buy in? Even with a few test workstations? It's never all or nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.