Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AT&T today announced financial results for the third quarter of 2012, revealing that the carrier activated 4.7 million iPhones during the quarter, an increase of one million over the previous quarter as sales were buoyed by the iPhone 5 launch near the end of the period.

AT&T did not specifically break down iPhone 5 sales numbers, but did note that its overall postpaid sales numbers were impacted by "inventory constraints" on the device as Apple has struggled to keep up with demand.

att_iphone_sales_3q12.jpg
Notably, the 4.7 million iPhone activations represented roughly 77% of AT&T's total smartphone sales of 6.1 million during the quarter, showing that Apple continues to dominate AT&T's smartphone customer base. And with smartphones overall rising to account for 81% of AT&T's sales on a postpaid basis, the iPhone represented 62% of AT&T's sales of all phones (smartphones and feature phones) to those customers.
AT&T sold 6.1 million smartphones in the third quarter, 1.3 million more than in the third quarter a year ago. Smartphones represented 81 percent of postpaid device sales. At the end of the quarter, 63.8 percent, or 44.5 million, of AT&T's postpaid subscribers had smartphones, up from 52.6 percent, or 36.1 million, a year earlier and up 1.4 milion from the second quarter. [...]

In the quarter, the company activated 4.7 million iPhones, with 18 percent new to AT&T. The company also had its best-ever sales quarter for Android and Windows smartphones.
Verizon last week also announced healthy iPhone sales for the third quarter, although it too was impacted by supply constraints on the iPhone 5. Sprint will be the third and final major U.S. iPhone carrier to report earnings tomorrow morning, with Apple releasing its official numbers after the close of trading tomorrow.

Article Link: iPhone Accounts for 77% of Smartphone Sales, 62% of All Postpaid Phone Sales at AT&T in 3Q 2012

SouthBeachMac

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010
Most impressive take-away is that this was yet another quarter with no iPhone5 on sale except for last 10 days of quarter...coupled with steadily increasing international sales, suggests Apple will post strong iPhone sales numbers and above-consensus results since iPhone is strong revenue driver.

visim91

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
Let me be the third person to say how impressive this is. I don't know how to impress upon you all how impressive it all is, but make no mistake: it is impressive, and I am impressed, and hope that you too are all very impressed with the impressive nature of the numbers and their impressive take-away. Two years from now, when iPhone sales do not rise as impressively as they have these past few years I will be concerned, and thoughtful, right now, though, I am impressed and exultant. Ten years from now, when there is little impressive innovation coming out of Apple, and sales are weak, I will be sad and wistful of this very impressive time in this impressive company's impressive history.

Last edited:

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
Ok....AT&T!!! Take that *hard earned money* and put your LTE towers up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brettizzle

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2011
Michigan!
Ok....AT&T!!! Take that *hard earned money* and put your LTE towers up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What he said

NoMoreSony

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
Can anyone tell real sales figures of iPhone5? Last time, when iPhone 4S was released - every few days Apple reported about new sales records. Now, just one number - 5 million sold in one week and total silence. We don't have calculate Х=Y/100+SQR(Z)*365 from the suspicious cellular activations reports. Where is the real sale figures from Apple? Is there any real troubles with the figures? Why they try to hide it from the public this time?

lowbatteries

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008

I'd prefer if they just built out their towers, period. Their coverage sucks compared to Verizon.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
I personally hope RIM recover with BB10 next year. They are the only company who can compete with Apple quality wise, albeit only being limited to hardware. The ancient software has badly let them down.

The build quality of the Bold 9900 was simply outstanding, better than anything I've used in the mobile world, which includes every iPhone. Just a shame the screen had terrible viewing angles and the software was a mess. Battery life was also abysmal.

Oh, and it was extremely easy and cheap to repair should you damage or break it in any way, in addition to removable batteries, and expandable storage, all whilst being stupidly thin.

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
4Q will be interesting to see if they can keep up with demand, Apple certainly has their hands full after refreshing just about every product yesterday. An amazing company that always keeps it's eyes on the ball.

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis
I personally hope RIM recover with BB10 next year. They are the only company who can compete with Apple quality wise, albeit only being limited to hardware. The ancient software has badly let them down.

Oh, and it was extremely easy and cheap to repair should you damage or break it in any way, in addition to removable batteries, and expandable storage, all whilst being stupidly thin.

I hate to say it but RIM is going to have to pull a big ass bunny out of their Canadian keisters if they want any kind of comeback.

If I were them I'd hold a garage sale; let Apple and Google fight over my millions of customers and assets, and retire to the small island I bought with the proceeds.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Let me be the third person to say how impressive this is. I don't know how to impress upon you all how impressive it all is, but make no mistake: it is impressive, and I am impressed, and hope that you too are all very impressed with the impressive nature of the numbers and their impressive take-away. Two years from now, when iPhone sales do not rise as impressively as they have these past few years I will be concerned, and thoughtful, right now, though, I am impressed and exultant. Ten years from now, when there is little impressive innovation coming out of Apple, and sales are weak, I will be sad and wistful of this very impressive time in this impressive company's impressive history.

Wow... that's impressive. :D

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis
4Q will be interesting to see if they can keep up with demand, Apple certainly has their hands full after refreshing just about every product yesterday. An amazing company that always keeps it's eyes on the ball.

Sorry but apple screwed up! $329. Really?

Why not eat the $100, make it $229, or even $259 and sell a bazillion of them?

I think this will make more people look at the $199 droids instead. After all, if you are just going to use it for kids, or for reading, why not go with Kindle, or Android?

I am a total apple fan, but I still think they screwed up. Just have to wait for the disappointing after holiday numbers.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA

I think this will make more people look at the $199 droids instead. After all, if you are just going to use it for kids, or for reading, why not go with Kindle, or Android?

I am a total apple fan, but I still think they screwed up. Just have to wait for the disappointing after holiday numbers.

Think about it... if they priced it at even $250 for the entry level iPad Mini... why would most people spend more to get an iPod Touch?

Also... maybe I'm wrong, but Apple, unlike other vendors, likes to actually make a profit on hardware sales. No reason for them to give away product right now.

mysticbluebmw

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
That's not how it works. There are areas they'd like nothing more to put up towers, but local codes specify how many towers can be placed in a particular region. In many, many locales, no more towers can be placed at this time. Every carrier has it's good locations and poor locations. One purchases services from a carrier that has good coverage in their area. Where I live, AT&T kicks Verizon's a$$. Where you live, perhaps it's Verizon, or Sprint, or someone else. Superior national coverage only matters if you travel to every point in the country.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Can anyone tell real sales figures of iPhone5? Last time, when iPhone 4S was released - every few days Apple reported about new sales records. Now, just one number - 5 million sold in one week and total silence. We don't have calculate Х=Y/100+SQR(Z)*365 from the suspicious cellular activations reports. Where is the real sale figures from Apple? Is there any real troubles with the figures? Why they try to hide it from the public this time?

This!

Although I'm certain Apple have sold through a stonking great number of iPhones, I was surprised Tim gave us no update on the iPhone numbers. He gave lot's of "iPhone 5 was the fastest/best..." statements but no current update. Are they simply waiting to hit the 20 million mark so they can rub it in Samsungs face, or are their sales actually not quite as staggering as we assume them to be?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
That's not how it works. There are areas they'd like nothing more to put up towers, but local codes specify how many towers can be placed in a particular region. In many, many locales, no more towers can be placed at this time. Every carrier has it's good locations and poor locations. One purchases services from a carrier that has good coverage in their area. Where I live, AT&T kicks Verizon's a$$. Where you live, perhaps it's Verizon, or Sprint, or someone else. Superior national coverage only matters if you travel to every point in the country.

LTE is an upgrade over HSPA+. in most cases all you need is a firmware/software update for existing equipment and fiber to the tower. no need to build new towers just for LTE since it's just an upgrade over GSM

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

They are releasing their annual earnings tomorrow afternoon. That is probably partly why. We should get more detail then. Companies usually don't release partial data before their annual earnings release. I was actually surprised that they announced their 100 millionth iPad sale yesterday as it tipped off the market what sales were for the quarter.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004

Yes!

I am sticking with AT&T (unlimited data and the fact that I can use the phone and internet at the same time. I am one of those people who do use that feature a lot)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

The $199 Nexus 7 has 8GB. Apple doesn't compete on price. I'm surprised people and even the Street were expecting something cheaper given that the $329 price had leaked as well as the rumors that this costs nearly $200 to produce. Apple gains nothing by selling at a $29 margin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.