Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Biased news. These numbers take into account only subsidized smartphones, but a lot of people buy carrier-free smartphones in stores.

In my case, for example, I never buy subsidized phones in Brazil. In USA I presume the same happens.

I dont know the numbers but I dont think the market for un-subsidized phones in the US is very big. Most people wait for their two years to be up before they buy the next subsidized phone. The monthly contract is the same whether or not you get the cheaper phone so there is not much reason to pay extra for a full-price phone. Of course, there are some that pay the full price but I think it is pretty small and usually because they want a new phone before the contract lets them get a subsidized phone.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Im sick of the iPod touch argument.

SINCE WHEN DID AN IPAD FIT IN A POCKET?!?!?!?!?!?!

Pathetic.

Even if they were priced around the same they are different enough that if you want a pocket sized player with the most up to date specks you would go for the iPod touch. If the iPod mini was on the same page it would be a little different unless you still want a ultra portable player which I imagine will be an issue for some.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
So it appears AT&T weren't too happy with their iPhone 5 sales, blaming it on Apple.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
[...] AT&T did not specifically break down iPhone 5 sales numbers, but did note that its overall postpaid sales numbers were impacted by "inventory constraints" on the device as Apple has struggled to keep up with demand. [...]

[...] Verizon last week also announced healthy iPhone sales for the third quarter, although it too was impacted by supply constraints on the iPhone 5. [...]

Key word being "constraints." If Apple were able to ramp up production to meet demand, that 77% AT&T share (and presumably Verizon's share as well) would be higher. So how could Apple increase production?

Now: increase iPhone 5 production capacity

Later: simplify iPhone 6 (2014) design and manufacturing process

There's no big hurry. The market will still be there years from now, ripe for the taking.

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
for this reason i wont buy anything apple. they are simply too big and i do not agree with their business model to fleece the consumer. They are sitting on too much money (more than the gdp or many countries) and i am afraid of what they can do with it (like pretty much buy up companies such as AMD/ Nvidia and put the apple spin on things). I know many people will not agree with me but this is my opinion. I like their products but cannot agree with their business model, last straw was lawsuit business

kdarling

macrumors P6
Notably, the 4.7 million iPhone activations represented roughly 77% of AT&T's total smartphone sales of 6.1 million during the quarter, showing that Apple continues to dominate AT&T's smartphone customer base.

"Roughly" is the key word here, as all articles are comparing activations vs. sales:

Activations include both new and used iPhones, of all models.

Usually a fair number (up to 20% in years past) of buyers sell or hand down their previous iPhone to be activated on another number, which counts towards the total.

It would be useful to know exactly how many iPhone 5s were sold.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
4,700,000 activations x $36 = $170,000,000 in revenue just on activation fees.... c'mon AT&T build those towers!

I agree. After all, that $170,000,000 will pay for between 17 and 34 towers, after factoring in all of the the environment impact studies, zoning permits, and other bureaucratic red tape that is actually the cause of towers not being built as fast as we (or they) would like.

The lead time between discovering the need for an additional tower somewhere and getting it built is on the order of 2-6 years, depending on various factors outside the control of the cellular companies. Of that, roughly a month or less is actually taken up by construction and installation of the tower and equipment.

Believe it or not, they're building as fast as they can.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
But AT&T makes a lot more money with the iPhone then they would without it.

No one makes as much money as Apple and a large chunk of that is iPhone.

Love the Br Ba avatar, BTW.

They do make more money with the iPhone than without, but the iPhone taxes its network more per percentage of users. I forget the figures I read a while back, but just think along the lines that the iPhone was 25% of AT&T phones in service, they used 50% of the network capacity. Again, I don't recall the exact figures but it was extremely disproportionate.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Who the heck is dumb enough to sign up with AT&T.

Their network and handful of cities with LTE are no match for Verizon.

Sprint is best for the value. For those who can afford it, Verizon for the solid LTE Network and being ranked number 1 in customer service too.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
for this reason i wont buy anything apple. they are simply too big and i do not agree with their business model to fleece the consumer. They are sitting on too much money (more than the gdp or many countries) and i am afraid of what they can do with it (like pretty much buy up companies such as AMD/ Nvidia and put the apple spin on things). I know many people will not agree with me but this is my opinion. I like their products but cannot agree with their business model, last straw was lawsuit business

No one is being fleeced. Consumers who want cheap plastic crap can buy android and get what they pay for. Those who want well made, quality products that last, and last (lots of original iPhones still in use) are more than happy to pay up for Apple products. In the long run, because of useful lifetime, limited downtime, and higher resale, Apple products generally end up being less expensive. Cheaping out never saves.

quickmac

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2011
I personally hope RIM recover with BB10 next year. They are the only company who can compete with Apple quality wise, albeit only being limited to hardware. The ancient software has badly let them down.

The build quality of the Bold 9900 was simply outstanding, better than anything I've used in the mobile world, which includes every iPhone. Just a shame the screen had terrible viewing angles and the software was a mess. Battery life was also abysmal.

Oh, and it was extremely easy and cheap to repair should you damage or break it in any way, in addition to removable batteries, and expandable storage, all whilst being stupidly thin.

I agree. I ditched the 4s for a 9930 Bold and you're right, RIM's hardware is quality and one of the only companies that can viably compete with a comeback against Apple. Android devices have glitchy vulnerable OSes and the handset makers will cram Android into any hunk of cheap plastic they can to save money.

Only Apple and RIM focus on quality product and I think that speaks volumes on the importance of having a phone software and hardware components all made by the same company.

BB10 will save RIM and will take a little market back from Apple, but it'll take a few years. One thing that could save RIM is that when people get bored of the iPhone's lack of innovation in a year or two and get tired of Android's flaws and cheap handsets, RIM will be the company worth another look.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
Who the heck is dumb enough to sign up with AT&T.

Their network and handful of cities with LTE are no match for Verizon.

Sprint is best for the value. For those who can afford it, Verizon for the solid LTE Network and being ranked number 1 in customer service too.

If you travel a lot (a national news reporter, salesman, truck driver, etc) then I would agree. Verizon is going to serve you better in more places.

I do not travel and AT&T is excellent where I am. Verizon is not as strong but they are still good here. If the Verizon iPhone 5 allowed you to talk and use data at the same time I would get it, mostly for the few times I go to NYC; I would really love to have Verizon with me.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Most of the new activations were for existing customers. AT&T got meager 151K new customers in Q3 compared to 1.5 million for Verizon which shows how irrelevant iPhone actually is. Verizon sold much fewer iPhones than AT&T yet got 10x more new customers. Imagine what would happen if Verizon dropped iPhone altogether? They could have used money saved from paying fat iPhone subsidies to subsidize all other phones and all their subsidized phones would cost from $0 to $100.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Biased news. These numbers take into account only subsidized smartphones, but a lot of people buy carrier-free smartphones in stores.

In my case, for example, I never buy subsidized phones in Brazil. In USA I presume the same happens.

Doesn't happen very often in the US. 3 of our 4 carriers charge you the same price for service whether you sign a contract to get the phone or not so for the most part there is no point in buying your phone without the subsidy since the rate plans are the same anyway.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Doesn't happen very often in the US. 3 of our 4 carriers charge you the same price for service whether you sign a contract to get the phone or not so for the most part there is no point in buying your phone without the subsidy since the rate plans are the same anyway.

In Brazil, there's no reason for buying subsidized phones since the phone's full retail price (without any discount or bargain I usually get in retailers) is embedded in the contract.

For example, an iPhone 4S 16GB costs around USD 1000,00 in the non-subsidized version, but I can get up to 10% discounts buying through a phone call to the online AppStore, so the final price is around USD 900,00.

If I get the same iPhone in a contract, I have to pay around USD 500,00 for the phone plus an 1-year plan that costs $100-150 monthly. I can get the same plan without the annual contract for $50-60.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
"Roughly" is the key word here, as all articles are comparing activations vs. sales:

Activations include both new and used iPhones, of all models.

Usually a fair number (up to 20% in years past) of buyers sell or hand down their previous iPhone to be activated on another number, which counts towards the total.

It would be useful to know exactly how many iPhone 5s were sold.

On Oct 18, Verizon implied that 21% of their iphone sales were LTE (iphone 5) coming in the last few days of the quarter.

samab

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2006
I dont know the numbers but I dont think the market for un-subsidized phones in the US is very big. Most people wait for their two years to be up before they buy the next subsidized phone. The monthly contract is the same whether or not you get the cheaper phone so there is not much reason to pay extra for a full-price phone. Of course, there are some that pay the full price but I think it is pretty small and usually because they want a new phone before the contract lets them get a subsidized phone.

The number of people buying unsubsidized phones outside the US is not that big either. Outdated information coupled with exaggerations by tourists going to tourist areas (often in Europe) and seeing all the pretty unsubsidized phones in store displays and came to a false conclusion that the local people buys these things.

UK used to be described as an unsubsidized phone paradise with millions of people on prepaid --- yet last year, UK's telecom regulator had to ban 3 year mobile contracts because they became so popular in UK.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/may/26/ofcom-bans-three-year-contracts

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.